Caller id readout

chandler48

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Nothing specific on search. Ever since 4.0.4 update my caller id readout for those not in my phonebook, a new squeaky voice calls out the phone number in currency mode......17 billion, 65 million, 551 thousand 212. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Edit. Atrix 2

chandler48

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I don't want to disable it. I just want it to do it like it did b4 the update. I would even like it to announce over my bluetooth, but one question at a time.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow, in all the time I've had this phone I'd never used that option. Testing now but no help--It does the same for me (also 4.0.4). I'd call it numeric mode not currency though since it doesn't say dollars. In any case not cool. Before the OS update how did text-to-speak say a number in other apps? If it didn't say billion million etc there either then I'd say the change was to it and not specifically the caller id function. Apparently even the play store version of speak caller-id does the same--there is probably no provision in the text-to-speech function call to speak numbers differently than normal.

chandler48

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comeback. Prior to 4.0.4 when I received a call, she would say "call from 706-555-1212" as an example. If the person was in my phonebook, she would say "call from John Smith". I use it all the time. I have the phone in an otterbox belt clip and it saves from having to retrieve the phone to know who is calling. I just tap my bluetooth and talk.

chandler48

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Caller ID must not have been such a good idea, since no one in a month has had any experience with it. Too bad. I liked the concept. Decided, since it was upgrade time to get a MotoX, so I guess it is a moot point.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I did see another post complaining about this but in another app not caller id so I suspect the change WAS to the text-to-speech software itself. I looked at the API doc briefly--that API is very complicated but I didn't see any way for the program to specify how it was to speak numbers. Unless the app wants to write their own text-to-speech function bet this is a lost cause.

Robin Medlock

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon droid razr, version 4.1.2. Up until a couple of days ago, caller id readout worked just fine; now it doesn't work at all. I've checked that the Caller ID Readout is set to Caller ID then Ring. I've also checked that text-to-speech output is no. I don't know what else to do to get caller ID readout to work. Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463