Downloading update 4.9.51. NOT beta!

korsjs

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone is stuck after 15 minutes on the black screen. Phone has power, but is bricked. You can see the backlight, but can't do anything. I have factory settings and have never rooted, etc.

Recommend everyone to hold off on update.
Took battery out and rebooted. Looks like it is loading.

Stuck on the " Rethink Possible " screen

Now it is on. Hope it works.

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
bad news is it does kill root. For me that mostly just means the lost of wifi teathering but I figured that will be brought back later on. Gingerbreak does not work.

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the bootloader is unlocked?

I can confirm that the bootloader is not unlocked as of yet. That doesnt mean it cant be unlocked or gotten around.

Root will be killed upon update. The biggest bonus is the addition of unknown sources allowing apps to be installed from anywhere. The new UI is good. It takes a bit of getting used to but from what I see there is no way to put a Launcher on there and still select the BlurUI as default. Once you install a Launcher like GO Launcher and hit the Home key it brings up that launcher automatically. Even if you were using the new BlurUI, if that is even what they want to call it now.

After using it for a few days, I do like the new UI. It isnt that bad. Could be better but could be far worse. The addition of multiple profiles to use is a plus. So now you dont have to cram all of your apps and widgets onto 1 set of screens. You can set them up for Home, Work or Weekend as they are labeled. Makes life much better when you can setup multiple profiles for the various things you do. Can even set different wallpapers for each profile.

Battery life is fantastic as well. I took mine off the charger this morning at 5am. At 7pm I still had over 70% of my battery life left. I turn off my phone to test the bootloader, and it is now reading 86% battery. I havent had heavy usage today, but I have had more than normal usage for me and it still has held up the charge greatly.

Last edited:

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
bad news is it does kill root. For me that mostly just means the lost of wifi teathering but I figured that will be brought back later on. Gingerbreak does not work.

Did it add USB tethering like the stock firmware has? It should be around Settings -> Wireless & Networks...

Incognitum

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have only had an Android phone for a few weeks, I would like to upgrade but should I wait?

If you've never rooted, or installed another ROM, go ahead and upgrade! That's exactly why I've waited so long to do any funny business with this phone. Now though, it's ON!

teddyboy

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone else not see the downloading notification but see the "your update is downloading and you will be notified when it is done" when you click system updates?

Ted

Pwersha

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got it , I am really hoping this cures the random reboot issue, too early to tell since I have only had it like 30 mins now. Other than that, things look a bit nicer and seem a bit smoother. It is nice to finally be able to use the Amazon AppStore

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
i get a triangle with exclamation sign even after i did factory reset and tried the OTA again. any sggestions? I am on my way home now will try updating from PC via usb.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i get a triangle with exclamation sign even after i did factory reset and tried the OTA again. any sggestions? I am on my way home now will try updating from PC via usb.

are you completely bone stock? if not, that is probably why. i know for the recent GB update on the X you had to be; i would expect the atrix to be the same

MannyB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Successfully did the manual update. Playing around with it now. I like the new look.

But.... Maybe I'll figure out how to set this up later or maybe someone else already has figured it out., but I miss my old contacts icon on the main home page which I had sorted to show only contacts stored in google with phone numbers. Now I only see the contacts folder in the app drawer with all the contacts from facebook and everywhere else.