What do you Dislike about the GB update

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
tohio:

The phone was fixed by 11pm when I posted that reply. I said I didn't root my phone because of the circumstances already listed, knowing that in my unique situation and the steps I took, rooted or unrooted it would not have mattered (not to mention the fact that I wasn't even rooted when doing the update lol). If I hadn't, I would've had to have gone through the entire mess of explaining everything to you. However, I've ended up having to do that anyhow. Rooting grants users super permissions, that's all. I ran a zip ("aRoot") and it granted me super permissions in less than 15 seconds. Less than 24 hrs later, I did the same thing but ran "unroot" instead of "root" - took another 15 seconds. I never took advantage of any special root privileges, and was unrooted when updating. Again, this exact issue occurred long ago, back in March or April of this year, on Froyo, except I couldn't fix it without going to these forums and learning about RSD and everything. If you are reading this, please read that sentence again. Also, read it another time. Okay, you got it? Now, knowing these facts, it might be safe to say my device is defective in some form, and I have to put up with it because it's life. It's okay, it doesn't concern or affect you in any way, shape or form. Please, carry on with your life, there are much more important issues you could try your hand at debating with somebody on, lol.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Childish discussions aside, having a phone rooted before an update isn't any more likely to cause issues than any other number of things you might have installed... Specially on the Atrix where the extent of modifications was still limited by the locked bootloader until recently. In-place updates are, by their very nature, hit or miss... Restoring a bunch of apps and each app's data across different versions of an OS is always troublesome.

In fact, this is why developers usually recommend people do a full wipe in between installing different versions of a ROM on a rooted phone... So even if you were never rooted, if you're having issues after the update the BEST thing you can do is bite the bullet and perform a factory reset. If you're still having issues that few others are experimenting after that you might wanna look at everything you're installing.

Radio issues and things of that nature sound more like a hardware problem with a specific unit tho, particularly if the issues aren't widespread. I'd suggest taking the phone to AT&T, specially if you're posting for insurance on it. The average store employee might be a nitwit but the techs that check phones do have, at least, some decent diagnostic tools.

D-Mac

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Three things I dislike about this new update.

1. The new Gallery app sucks to high heaven. It's turned my well organized photos and videos grouped in labeled folders and turned it into a garbled mess. I can't find any picture I'm looking for unless I use the folders app. The previous Gallery app worked well with thumbnails of all my photo and video folders but this thing is useless. Now I'm going to have to search the market for a decent alternative. Any suggestions?

2. What did they do to the MMS client? I use to be able to create slides with multiple photos, audio and txt. Now I can't figure out how to send more than one picture per message. The previous client wasn't great with it degrading just about every pic I sent but this MMS client is pointless.

3. They jacked up home screens navigation too. What happened to being able to go directly to any one of your seven home screens in a simple one, two step? Now I can only swipe between them. Swipe swipe swipe swipe swipe, etc, etc...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

al9boo

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the update. My phone hasn't slowed down st all. My fingerprint scanner issue is gone. The internet browser moves faster keyboard response is up. Icons aren't the best but adw launcher solves that. Music player im getting use to I like the change it fixed my issues I love gingerbread. The only thing I hate is it wont let me tether any more I hike there is a way with out me hacking the phone plz help.:-$

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
....1. The new Gallery app sucks to high heaven....The previous Gallery app worked well with thumbnails of all my photo and video folders but this thing is useless. Now I'm going to have to search the market for a decent alternative. Any suggestions?....

Get QuickPic. Hands down, the best Gallery app out there.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. The new NinjaBlur looks a lot better than the old LegoBlur. My phone is TONS more responsive now, and battery life is significantly better as well. The new Gallery app is hit or miss, but I never use it, I take photos and share them right away (and the Camera interface is a BIG improvement, particularly for that). I was a little weirded out to see contacts integrated with the dialer, but, it is more efficient.

Haven't made use of the Profiles yet, then again, I haven't even made use of all 7 homescreens up to now. Might play with it soon.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess some people live in Bizarro World where rooting your phone means you didn't root it. My point is/was that changing the software of your phone with third party methods can result in unpredictable results when the phone is returned to its unrooted state. Why do you think manufactures won't honor a warranty if they know the phone was rooted? The whole point of my discussion is that, based on the few respondents to this thread, that the majority of users are happy with the results of the upgrade. I certainly am. I still say that those who tinkered with the software on their phones are more likely to have problems after the upgrade than those who didn't. A search of the archives will show that those who are complaining the most had rooted phones and were likely to have further modified the phone's software.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Try to stay on topic here.

My biggest complaint about the update is that some of the my most used apps do not take up the whole screen. I have not found a fix for that yet, but I am sure the devs at XDA will figure something out. The other issue that I had was the gallery. However, since I installed the leaked version a couple of weeks ago and unlocked everything, I simply went in and extracted the old Gallery 3d app from a previous build and dropped it into the system/app folder using Root Explorer. Problem solved.

I saw some comments in here about intermittent data. The new GB build includes a new radio. For me, the new radio gave me the same problem. I had to flash back to the old radio from Froyo to get my data connection to be constant. (EDIT: not an easy fix and if you did the OTA update and not the leaked version, this probably will not work for you.)

Coming from the Captivate forum, the tone here is a little different. I guess since the Captivate had so many issues up front, more people rooted their phones to make the best of the hardware.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Get QuickPic. Hands down, the best Gallery app out there.
QuickPic is amazing, thank you so much. I know you also suggested it many times earlier but I was a little preoccupied here if you know what I mean. It's amazing a 3rd party developer could make this so great and the stock one is such junk compared to it! Many thanks! :)

In-place updates are, by their very nature, hit or miss... Restoring a bunch of apps and each app's data across different versions of an OS is always troublesome.
In fact, this is why developers usually recommend people do a full wipe in between installing different versions of a ROM on a rooted phone... So even if you were never rooted, if you're having issues after the update the BEST thing you can do is bite the bullet and perform a factory reset. If you're still having issues that few others are experimenting after that you might wanna look at everything you're installing.
Thanks man. :) Really.

My biggest complaint about the update is that some of the my most used apps do not take up the whole screen. I have not found a fix for that yet, but I am sure the devs at XDA will figure something out.

I forgot to mention that in my list of dislikes as well! And I haven't even seen many people mention it yet, actually. That's a very good point, several times an app doesn't open to the full screen, which really looks pretty bad because the space that isn't used is filled with a grey color or something; kinda messes with the whole sleek look of the navy blue and, although some people hate it, the cyan, too.

Coming from the Captivate forum, the tone here is a little different. I guess since the Captivate had so many issues up front, more people rooted their phones to make the best of the hardware.

Yeah, I guess it's a little different depending on where you are on the site, unfortunately. I remember when AT&T had about 3 or 4 Android phones, the Captivate being the only high-end one - I was so close to getting one, but I had heard nothing but problems with it, especially that darn GPS lol. I ended up waiting around long enough to snag the Atrix when it came out. Kinda wish I had both like you, though!

Last edited:

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Kinda wish I had both like you, though!

The Captivate will be going away soon. The Atrix has surpassed all of my expectations. No regrets - the Captivate was great while I had it, but required too much maintenance and nothing ever worked right all of the time. Stock was unacceptable. I will say that the Captivate has better download/upload speeds though than this "4G" phone.

chapmage1

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you like about the GB update

I like that they now let you sort your contacts by last name, that was my biggest complaint when I first got the phone. Otherwise, I love my Atrix, and ever since they enabled sideloading, I personally didn't feel the need to root, so I'm pretty happy at this point.
Still haven't tried out everything though...

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Can you go in to more detail on this?

If you did the OTA update and not the leaked version, there is nothing you can do at this time to go back to the old radio. The OTA update causes a problem when you try to go back to an older build that will brick your phone - very bad (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1160408). The devs at XDA are working on solutions to the problem, but it requires root and knowledge of SDK, ADB and other three letter acronyms.

However, if you are on the leaked version of GB and want to know more about going back to the older radio, I would suggest you cruise on over to XDA and read as much as you can before trying anything.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The Captivate will be going away soon. The Atrix has surpassed all of my expectations. No regrets - the Captivate was great while I had it, but required too much maintenance and nothing ever worked right all of the time. Stock was unacceptable. I will say that the Captivate has better download/upload speeds though than this "4G" phone.

Yeah, honestly, I just kinda like the squared edges because I've never had a phone like that lol. That, and I'm curious in trying a Samsung android out. So, actually, I guess I'd be more interested in having an Atrix with an Infuse.

I like that they now let you sort your contacts by last name, that was my biggest complaint when I first got the phone. Otherwise, I love my Atrix, and ever since they enabled sideloading, I personally didn't feel the need to root, so I'm pretty happy at this point.

I really like that too. That, and the fact that the dialer and contacts are both connected now with tabs at the top when you open either of them up, makes it more seamless and flow better in my opinion. I like the way contacts are organized now, and I like the new dialer. I think Moto (or just GB in general?) did a good job in this area.

But leaving out the battery percentage and leaving the on-screen animation out of the build are big disappointments.

eahinrichsen

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: What do you like about the GB update

That's what I came here to say. The contacts list was the worst part of the Atrix's original Blur version. Although the biggest improvement in my opinion isn't the ability to sort by last name (although that was a moronic omission) but the ability to choose which Google contact groups sync to the device. I only want "My Contacts" in my phone directory, and the inability to restrict to that was driving me insane. Adding the app tray at the bottom of the homescreen rather than that useless dialer/home/contacts thing was a big improvement, too. Overall, no complaints.

m011404

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone out there have the ability to bill their AT&T account when purchasing an app from the marketplace? This did not work for me with froyo, some forums I read said it would be fixed with GB. After the update, the option to bill my account was presented, but after I selected it, it went away and hasn't been back since.

This aside, GB is a huge step up from the last rom. Like everyone else, there are things about it I don't like, but they're minor annoyances by and large.

HackNet

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
How about the fact that I'm LAGGED as hell now, what the bejeezus. Can't swipe between simple homescreens without a 1.5 to 2 second lag...posted about it in the other thread and other people have it too. Ugh. I'm jealous of everyone's "smoothness" they keep talking about. My froyo was smooth - this is choppy chop city. Get me out of this..somebody magically fix my lag please. *begging*:-[

I was experiencing similar issues when I updated mine to GB. All you need to do is a Reset the phone back to manufacturer settings and problem will be resolved.

The reason you experience lag is because the 2.3.4 sat on top of your old system files and caused compatibility issues.

just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

HackNet

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a rooted Atrix. Went through hell and back trying to flash 1.8.3 from GingerBlur then to 2.3.4. I'm surprised I didn't brick my phone. Be careful when flashing updates on a rooted device. Unless you want to use your Atrix 4G as a coaster. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol