Help Convince Me To Switch!!

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade coming very soon. I am a current Blackberry user and breifly switched to the iPhone for a while, went back to the Blackberry. Spent alot of time in the AT&T store recently playing with several devices and the Atrix has really got my attention. I really liked the web browsing and the text messaging seemed pretty good also. I'm not a facebook user or anything. I need my email to be solid for work (primary account is gmail) so I think i'll be good there. Can you guys please give me some feedback as to what you like most about your Atrix (email, call quality, messaging, etc.) Also i've never experienced Android before and I admit, that i'm a little scared of change, being comfortable with the BB OS.

Thanks

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I was scared too. used blackberries for almost 3 years and ended up selling my bold 9700 on ebay as soon as I got the Atrix. my main concern were push email and lack of physical keyboard. but I took the chance (in march) and I am so happy I did. i get push email with my two gmail accounts, and I immediatly fell inlove with virtual keyboard so I'd never go back to any device with the physical one. Call quality is quite good I don't have any problems with it i can hear people perfectly and can be heard perfectly too. for messaging i use google voice cuz of the free texting. There might be a slight learning curve in the first few days of getting used to the Android OS. but you can always come here and ask questions and also dig other forums as well. I find the last Gingerbread update to be more sold and stable than Froyo with a few exceptions as to Motorola's Motoblur UI. but overall I'm happy with my phone. In particular I really like the qHD display on this phone as it gives really good sunlight readability. I think now, that this phone was ultimately given all the latest updates it is the most appealing choice in ATT's portfolio. And also you'll have 30 days to try it so If it won't work for you you can get something else :)
using Android OS (especially 2.3.4) after blackberry is a quantum leap a few years ahead. the browsing experience is awesome you won't reger it.
Edit:
the battery life is a little shorter than on BB but with light to moderate use you'll manage to make it through the day on a single charge.. I'd suggest getting a spare battery and always have it with you. (i was carrying a spare battery with my bb 9700 too)

Edit:
this was purely an impression about the device itself. I won't recommend you extending the contract with AT&T. read my other post below. sorry.

Last edited:

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well.....BB is the first reason why you should switch.
Don't get me wrong I was a diehard BB 9530 user for two years and also torch user and they're so nice when it comes to receiving messages in a timely manner but as far as other features they lack alot...

With the Atrix think of this:
Flash 10.3
Push E-mail like BB maybe a little bit slower but still great
Root and Roms as well as BL unlocking which lets you customize almost everything about your phone
Thousands of apps to make life easier(not the funky BB apps)
Dual core (to be improved with future updates)
Netflix for those boring days at the office
No crazy battery pulls the way BB have

Cons
No BBM it was pretty good

some say their battery isnt great compared to BB but remember that this phone does way more than a BB so expect battery to be a bit less.Also people forget to calibrate their battery every now and then so its partly their fault too for charging the phone when it isnt low on power(trolls)

Some people preffer the blackberry physical keyboard but touchscreen only takes sometime to get used to.

Other than this I think you will like all of the features and things this phone can do its really up to you to decide but its a nice device.

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I switched to the Atrix from the BB 9700 and have never regretted the decision. I love the form factor - very ready to handle and carry yet easy to read and view pictures and videos. I thought I could never live without the physical keyboard but I have. I have learned to use Swype and love it. It wa slow going at first but I continually get better, i.e., faster and more accurate. Just takes practice. I also use the Dolphin HD browser preferring it over the native browser. The Atrix and Android is much more customizable than the BB IMHO. I worried about battery life but I have never rum out of juice in the course of a day and normally have plenty of power left at the end of a day. I recharge every night, just lounge I did with my BB. fri for it. You'll love the Atrix.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk using Swype.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If I were in your position, I would wait for the soon-to-be-released Samsung Galaxy S2. On ATT, it will be called "Attain".

If I knew then, what I know now, about the Atrix, I NEVER would have bought one. :(

Worth the wait, so you can physically compare the two and make an educated choice.

smcastillo

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There is only two things I hear people complain about when coming from a bb, battery life and a physical keyboard. I came from a bb storm so I was already use to the keyboard but the battery life is significantly less. But when you look at all this device does and does very well you cant blame it for eating the battery quicker than a bb. I was with bb for 4 years and am so glad I switched over to android device. The Samsung Galaxy S2 is suppose to come out within the month if you believe the rumors. If you are not in a rush you might want to hold off and compare the two,

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
actually I'd not get any phone from ATT at all... disregard my previous post. sorry. the Atrix will be my last phone with this carrier. I'm switching over to either verizon or Sprint (Sprint now has Motorola Photon!) within a year, even though i'll have to pay that termination fee. The Atrix is an awesome phone but it is crippled with the carrier's network. So If you have an upgrade coming very soon I'd suggest to take this opportunity and dump this sh#%$y carrier ASAP.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
@Trevalkin: You'd get another Motorola phone???!!

well actually motorola phones would be the first choice on my list. lol I know you have some serious issues with your Atrix, that really sucks dude I'm sorry, but my phone is working fine and the batery life has significantly improved as I posted a few days ago in another thread.. then I removed Launcher Pro and using motoblur UI now and I actually like sertain things about it. I do hate the colors though (especially that nasty white dockbar, looks awfull with some wallpapers) but I mean ever since i got this phone, i haven't had any major issues with it... and i actually like the qHD display compared to SAmoled.. the GB actually fixed the fingerprint scanner and it never failed even once since the update. so yeahh I like the Atrix... and I would get something like that in the future, something like Photon. I mean I'm an IT tech and I'm pretty much used to handle all issues myself by either diggin the forums or figuring it out on my own... (no use in calling Moto unless there is some serious hardware failuer that requires replacement of the part/device) the smarthones are basically computers and like every computer they tend to break.... this phone would be really good on Verizon or Sprint but NOT on AT&T.... so the only problem I really have is the carrier...

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The Atrix has been well supported by Motorola and AT&T. There have been a few bugs pop up with the Gingerbread update, but if the track record is any indication, they will be remedied. Samsung does not enjoy the same reputation for updating their software. The Galaxy S II devices look great, but I'd make sure that they're bug free out of the box, because Samsung tends to release new phones instead of releasing software updates.

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The Atrix has been well supported by Motorola and AT&T. There have been a few bugs pop up with the Gingerbread update, but if the track record is any indication, they will be remedied. Samsung does not enjoy the same reputation for updating their software. The Galaxy S II devices look great, but I'd make sure that they're bug free out of the box, because Samsung tends to release new phones instead of releasing software updates.

The points you make are another strong reason i'm attracted to the Atrix. I know its getting old by todays cell phone standards and there will probably be a Atrix 2 and 3 out by this time next year, but I like the fact that its a proven performer from what I am hearing.

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
well actually motorola phones would be the first choice on my list. lol I know you have some serious issues with your Atrix, that really sucks dude I'm sorry, but my phone is working fine and the batery life has significantly improved as I posted a few days ago in another thread.. then I removed Launcher Pro and using motoblur UI now and I actually like sertain things about it. I do hate the colors though (especially that nasty white dockbar, looks awfull with some wallpapers) but I mean ever since i got this phone, i haven't had any major issues with it... and i actually like the qHD display compared to SAmoled.. the GB actually fixed the fingerprint scanner and it never failed even once since the update. so yeahh I like the Atrix... and I would get something like that in the future, something like Photon. I mean I'm an IT tech and I'm pretty much used to handle all issues myself by either diggin the forums or figuring it out on my own... (no use in calling Moto unless there is some serious hardware failuer that requires replacement of the part/device) the smarthones are basically computers and like every computer they tend to break.... this phone would be really good on Verizon or Sprint but NOT on AT&T.... so the only problem I really have is the carrier...

Have you been in the Photon forum?
They have more problems than us, with Sprint your better off with an EVO

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you been in the Photon forum?
They have more problems than us, with Sprint your better off with an EVO

yes I actually have, I read that forum quite frequently and honestly I haven't noticed people complain much about it. there is even a thread there "Any hardware issues out there?" which has only 10 replies so far. also one of the major complain is a pentile display which is actually a matter of personal preference rather than an problem/issue. But again, if you go to the forum of any phone whether its nokia iphone wp7 android etc. you'll see people who are happy and people who dont. like I said in my previous post phones are computers and sometimes they come out defective and break too. so there is never a 100% consumer satisfaction with any product out there :)
btw there is actually a thread on photon forum " Why I like the Photon better than the Evo 3D" but it has not so many posts either though lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze