Atrix connected but not really

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Can't find the answer here. Trying to connect to wifi at my house. Every morning I find my wifi network "Disabled" (Settings>Wireless and Networks>WiFi Settings). Most often I have to turn my phone's wifi On/Off or disconnect/reconnect my router to get the phone to "find" the wifi. But I digress.
On almost every occassion, when I get the "Connected" indication, I'm not really connected. That is, signal strength is "Excellent," the icon on the status bar is full strength, but it is "greyed out" or appears to be. Trying to access the net by ANY app fails. Eventually (2-3 minutes sometimes, 30-45 minutes other times) I get a connection. The icon on the status bar turns blue (or pink, or green, I'm color-blind) and I can access the net.
How can I be "connected" but not REALLY connected?
Any way to speed up the actual (REAL) connection?

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
During this "greyed out" period, are any other devices able to use your wifi network? Just trying to rule out your wireless router as the culprit.

mrakifa

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What is your battery saver option on...I had the same problem and changed the status to "performance mode" all good now.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Atrix after about a month or so of connecting flawlessly to my home wifi, one day the wifi connection would show grayed out, turning wifi off and on did not help. I even tried deleting the wifi connection and re-establish the connection. That did not help. Was on the phone to AT&T for an hour and that was no help, they were clueless. I finally begrudgingly did a factory reset on my phone and it has been working good every since.

Also, Juice Defender can sometimes play havoc with your wifi connection. I decided to stop using it because it was more of a hassle than it was worth. If you have Juice Defender make sure you disable all the different options before you uninstall it. Once I had to reinstall Juice Defender and disable all the different options because it would not let me connect to wifi after I uninstalled it.

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery saver - changed it to "performance" mode - I'll see if it helps.

Juice Defender - tried it for 2-3 days - didn't like it and uninstalled.
>>If you have Juice Defender make sure you disable all the different options before you uninstall it.
I didn't disable options before uninstall. Is that really significant?

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
I have had the same issues with my Atrix from day one. I have done factory resets and nothing changes for long. I have 2 different wifi networks in my location that I use. It seems when the phone loses one wifi connection, then maybe goes to 3G it will not always reconnect to another wifi network. Turning the wifi radio off and on, sometimes multiple times, is all that works for me to get reconnected. I have played with router channels on the routers, reset phone to factory and everything I can think of. It seems to be a problem with the Atrix's radio. If anybody has ideas, I would love to try them.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issues with my Atrix from day one. I have done factory resets and nothing changes for long. I have 2 different wifi networks in my location that I use. It seems when the phone loses one wifi connection, then maybe goes to 3G it will not always reconnect to another wifi network. Turning the wifi radio off and on, sometimes multiple times, is all that works for me to get reconnected. I have played with router channels on the routers, reset phone to factory and everything I can think of. It seems to be a problem with the Atrix's radio. If anybody has ideas, I would love to try them.
are those routers the same or different brand/models? have you tried to use your phone with another router outside of your home. i.e. public wifi access point, friend's or relative's wifi.

porando

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Can't find the answer here. Trying to connect to wifi at my house. Every morning I find my wifi network "Disabled" (Settings>Wireless and Networks>WiFi Settings). Most often I have to turn my phone's wifi On/Off or disconnect/reconnect my router to get the phone to "find" the wifi. But I digress.
On almost every occassion, when I get the "Connected" indication, I'm not really connected. That is, signal strength is "Excellent," the icon on the status bar is full strength, but it is "greyed out" or appears to be. Trying to access the net by ANY app fails. Eventually (2-3 minutes sometimes, 30-45 minutes other times) I get a connection. The icon on the status bar turns blue (or pink, or green, I'm color-blind) and I can access the net.
How can I be "connected" but not REALLY connected?
Any way to speed up the actual (REAL) connection?
I have this issue with wifi from the very beginning but at work.. There is at least couple of us who cant connect to web wi wifi but we can connect in any other place. Status shows connected, we got IP address but nothing goes through the company network. Motorola of course say that since we connect in all but this place - is is company equipment issue... company says that since every other phone connects w/o issues - it is device problem... and I was a VP I am sure IT would trace this and fix it but for a pion - not much attention. Friends joke "told ya to by iPhone", Motorola does nothing.... So it actually may happen - I will have no choice but to switch device..:(

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
it the phoen can connect fine to other wifi points the issue is definetely not with the phone. I had a simular issue with linksys router when I moved to new appartment. my laptop was dropping wifi signal after 1 minute even if I was standing right next to the router. so after googling a bit i found that some routers signals (linksys in my case.) may be obstructed by certain building walls or electric stuff inside the walls. I tried to experiment by switching between WPA and WEP and it did work fine on WEP or with just leaving signal unsecured. so i went and got dlink router which works perfectly now. and recently gave my linksys to my friend who just bought an apt. and it works perfectly at her place. no problems at all. (she's using WPA) so once again. if the phone can connect to every other wifi access point but yours it is not the phone's issue its the router's Other devices may connect perfectly to the same router but if the phone doesnt, most likely the phone's wifi module firmware is having issues with that particular router updating the router's firmware may solve the problem. also you may want to temporarly switch between WEP and WPA and see if device works on any of these modes. also try to update the firmware of the router it may help.

Last edited:

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Battery saver - changed it to "performance" mode - I'll see if it helps.

Juice Defender - tried it for 2-3 days - didn't like it and uninstalled.
>>If you have Juice Defender make sure you disable all the different options before you uninstall it.
I didn't disable options before uninstall. Is that really significant?

After I uninstalled Juice Defender I was not able to connect to wifi. I reinstalled Juice Defender and disabled all options and then uninstalled Juice Defender and everything worked after that.

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
are those routers the same or different brand/models? have you tried to use your phone with another router outside of your home. i.e. public wifi access point, friend's or relative's wifi.

They are different brands of routers. One is a 2wire and one is a Linksys (Cisco). Same issue if for example I arrive at a cafe where I have been before and the wireless connects automatically. It shows connected, the ipconfig shows connected, but the wireless indicator will not turn blue showing that the wireless is connected until I disconnect the wireless then reconnect. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times before it works. It seems to have something to do with the radio switching from one network, wireless or 3G, to another automatically.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
They are different brands of routers. One is a 2wire and one is a Linksys (Cisco). Same issue if for example I arrive at a cafe where I have been before and the wireless connects automatically. It shows connected, the ipconfig shows connected, but the wireless indicator will not turn blue showing that the wireless is connected until I disconnect the wireless then reconnect. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times before it works. It seems to have something to do with the radio switching from one network, wireless or 3G, to another automatically.
looks like the phone's issue in your case. i'd exchange it. contact moto but it will take a while to ship to them and fix it. att will give you a refurb. one.

Reactions: anon(301129)

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
Hey I found my problem! A while ago I added another router to my system. The router had a config error in it and this is what killed my main router. It was looping the DNS. I reconfigured it and Walla! All fixed, it was not my phone!
Idiot me!

snipeherder

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I've found. The Atrix HATES sharing channels with the neighbors. After much troubleshooting, I have found that if I move the router transmit channel to an unused channel #, the phone will give me the pretty blue rainbow again. If your router has auto channel selection active you will probably suffer intermittent drops and stale connections. I use WiFi Analyzer to watch for all channels used. Default is channel 6 so if you have neighbors with wireless (especially gaming consoles) channel 6 is a crowded bus. ALSO, a unique SSID is a good idea as that can upset our little Atrix as well. This is more troublesome for older routers (i.e. "dlink" "linksys" etc.) Hope this helps.