Looks like I am done with the Atrix

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on number 3, and am not going to number 4. This time the WiFi quit working, and the phone randomly shuts its self off. I have restored to factory twice, and am running with no apps downloaded. Still the same song and dance. To make things worse, AT&T insulted my intelligence last night on the phone. I told them that I would not take another Atrix, 3 strikes and you are out. That they had to replace it with something comparable. They offered me a *^&) pantech. Or that they could take 25 bucks off a new phone. I am thinking that I am going to get excused from my contract and go to Verizon. I am sorry, but this is no way to run a railroad.

1st one would randomly shut off. Not restart, but shut off and not turn on till you turned it back on.
2nd the screen went CRAZY. It looked like it was having a seizure. There were others having this problem on the motorola site.
3rd has no wifi, it says error and doesnt connect. It also restarts randomly, sometimes up to 6 times in an hour. Did it 4 times while on the phone with AT&T yesterday.

4th one isn't going to happen, I am DUNN!

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame you one bit man, I had my Atrix reboot a few times as well. Got the Atrix 2 instead and so far it is awesome.

Not sure if it is the Atrix hardware or software, the 2 is on 2.3.5 so maybe that makes a difference. Let us know what phone you change over to.

dratsablive

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on number 3, and am not going to number 4. This time the WiFi quit working, and the phone randomly shuts its self off. I have restored to factory twice, and am running with no apps downloaded. Still the same song and dance. To make things worse, AT&T insulted my intelligence last night on the phone. I told them that I would not take another Atrix, 3 strikes and you are out. That they had to replace it with something comparable. They offered me a *^&) pantech. Or that they could take 25 bucks off a new phone. I am thinking that I am going to get excused from my contract and go to Verizon. I am sorry, but this is no way to run a railroad.

1st one would randomly shut off. Not restart, but shut off and not turn on till you turned it back on.
2nd the screen went CRAZY. It looked like it was having a seizure. There were others having this problem on the motorola site.
3rd has no wifi, it says error and doesnt connect. It also restarts randomly, sometimes up to 6 times in an hour. Did it 4 times while on the phone with AT&T yesterday.

I've had my Atrix since the day it was released and have had no real issues with the phone. It may have rebooted a few times (like 5 at the most), but that was on an older build, that was rooted. Currently on GB, and rooted but no WiFi shutting off, or any reboot that I can remember.

I love this phone and will be keeping it for another year. Want to wait for the latest and greatest before updating (that's my usual upgrade schedule, 1.5-2 years).

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love the phone. When it is working right, it is a beast. But when it lets me down, it is hopeless.

I am thinking about going to Verizon. I don't know which phone yet, about to head up to the local store and look at them. I will let you guys know what road I take though.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am now on a Moto Droid Bionic. The 4G in my area just hit 23.34 down and 17.63 up. I should have know it was going to be fast when the speed test .net app only took 2 seconds to download..... Well Atrix guys, it has been real, and it has been fun, but those dicks at AT&T can kiss my white a$$.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am now on a Moto Droid Bionic. The 4G in my area just hit 23.34 down and 17.63 up. I should have know it was going to be fast when the speed test .net app only took 2 seconds to download..... Well Atrix guys, it has been real, and it has been fun, but those dicks at AT&T can kiss my white a$$.

...Until something goes wrong, and you try talking with Verizon reps, and don't like their answers/solutions to your problem either, and you switch to another carrier. You're on an endless cycle my friend. You'll find "dicks" on every path you take in this world. You may have gotten lucky with a Bionic that works great right off the bat on your first try, but when you upgrade to your next phone, you just might run into another "lemon" (phone that has issues), and will be constantly replacing it as well.

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

My first Atrix, back in February, had what sounds like the issue you had with #2. It would jump wildly from screen to screen, apps would open that I never touched, scroll up & down, shut apps down -- it was absolutely possessed. Brought it to a store & showed the rep. All it took was one (puzzled) look at the thing freaking out, and they gave me a new one. No problems with this one, other than the occasional random reboot, which seems to be app-driven.

Most recently, I've found that the new version of the CamScanner app forces the Atrix to reboot almost every time I've used it. Not sure if this is an issue with the updated version of the app not playing nicely with Gingerbread, or what.

A colleague has the Bionic and it's pretty nice. Good luck.

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like a good move. And those speeds are for real.

Now...for comparison's sake...how about some AT&T "4G" speeds from my Speed Test log (these are my "best" speeds):

3.78 Mbps down, 1.60 Mbps up

The one ran while typing this: 1.44 Mbps down, 1.42 Mbps up -- and a ping of 119ms.

And I live in a major east coast metro area.

4G my a$$. Owning an Atrix on AT&T is like being stuck in a McDonald's parking lot driving an Indy car.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My first Atrix, back in February, had what sounds like the issue you had with #2. It would jump wildly from screen to screen, apps would open that I never touched, scroll up & down, shut apps down -- it was absolutely possessed. Brought it to a store & showed the rep. All it took was one (puzzled) look at the thing freaking out, and they gave me a new one. No problems with this one, other than the occasional random reboot, which seems to be app-driven.

Most recently, I've found that the new version of the CamScanner app forces the Atrix to reboot almost every time I've used it. Not sure if this is an issue with the updated version of the app not playing nicely with Gingerbread, or what.

A colleague has the Bionic and it's pretty nice. Good luck.

I was on Moto's site and they were downright telling me the problem didn't exist. It took me and a few others providing video. What pissed me off was that I got to the point that I was running bare minimum on the phone and was still having issues. The dealing with "customer service" is what pushed me over the edge. I told her flat out just give me something comprable, and we will be good, I just don't want another Atrix. She offered me a free Pantech or offered to let me use a pay as you go on my line until I could "get the money to buy a new phone." Hell, I even told her I had the money, and if I was buying a new phone it would be on another network.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a good move. And those speeds are for real.

Now...for comparison's sake...how about some AT&T "4G" speeds from my Speed Test log (these are my "best" speeds):

3.78 Mbps down, 1.60 Mbps up

The one ran while typing this: 1.44 Mbps down, 1.42 Mbps up -- and a ping of 119ms.

And I live in a major east coast metro area.

4G my a$$. Owning an Atrix on AT&T is like being stuck in a McDonald's parking lot driving an Indy car.

What aggravated me more than anything on AT&T's "4G" was that the 4G phones never showed you if you were on 3 or 4G. You just assumed that that is what it was, and were stuck on whatever speed you got.
I hear that the RAZR is going to be on AT&T also, that is another top fuel car stuck behind a pace car....

I knew that my speeds were going to be fast when I went to download speedtest.net's app and it started installing immediately. Having 4G less than a mile away is just icing on the cake...

Krjtangel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone for almost two years and the same thing just started happening. It's restarted itself more than 30 times in one day. It only happens when the Wifi says "Error" so when it finally restarts, after 10 or so times, and says Wifi off, I just have to leave it that way to get it to stay on. I called AT&T and they told me it would be $125 for a new phone... I don't think so!

Chinookman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hang tuff and get your new latest fav phone........I bought mine new (Atrix-2) it was a year old but held me over until BB would release the new phones....well that was a big fail also it's same size as Atrix-2 and having bought two previous based on promise of better performance I'm now looking a the Sammy-IV ......but I feel your pain at times just down right aggravating......so good luck with your new selection......but for now have you tried the Motorola on line chat help? I did this past Sunday and got my issues resolved within 20 minutes so until your new phone is ready for release consider giving that go.....?

vader69

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'm done with Motorola. The company's inability or unwillingness to support a product they sell has got me to the point I will never willingly purchase another product of theirs. This is the second Atrix I have had. The first was RMA'd for randomly rebooting. I was sent a refurb phone to replace the bad phone. This phone also has had issues with randomly locking up and then rebooting. I literally thought that the phone was going to catch on fire on me one Sunday in church. It got so hot in my pocket that it burned me. I had to take the phone apart during church so that it could cool off. The camera no longer works due to the over heating of the phone. When I got home after church I called Motorola and informed them what had happened with my phone. I was informed by the helpdesk technician that since my phone was refurbed it was out of warranty. The technician offered to help me get this POS phone repaired for $100 for the estimate plus shipping and handling. I promptly thanked her for Motorola's unwillingness to make good on a bad product and informed her exactly where Motorola could put this phone ( and I do not believe Dennis Woodside would find this to be very comfortable). Motorola gets a big middle finger from me for the treatment I received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt