Use Atrix as Wireless Access Point for Private Lan

b0ot

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Any place I could find information/ask for info on how to do this:

I want to use my atrix to connect to my private lan (staticaly defined ip or given via my own dhcp server).

I then want to use the "hotspot" capability to act as a network acess point to give other wireless devices the ability to connect into my lan.

I have zero interest in connecting to the web... I just want to be able to have the phone be in my private network. I figured I would have to connect the phone via the usb port, and I have a network device that does ip over usb, but I wasn't sure if android had anything similar to usbnet/rndis found in something like ubuntu that would allow me to do ethernet over usb. I also wasn't sure how I could setup the phone as a wireless access point for my private lan.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So, if I am reading this right, you basically want to use your phone as a wireless router on your lan? If cost is an issue, why not just buy an inexpensive wireless router or access point? I don't know if you can do what you are wanting, but if you figure out a way, it most probably will not perform as well as a wireless router or access point who's dedicated purpose is intended to give wireless devices access to your lan.

Using your phone as a hotspot, if it is just for access to your lan, you run the risk of having your wireless provider charging you extra for using your phone as a hotspot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae