Google Navigation?

knappkd

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I see on the AT&T website googleMaps as listed as an application on this phone and also AT&T navigator. Does this mean it won't have googleNavigation?

I see on the HTC Inspire page that it will have googleNavigation, because it is specifically stated.

Anyone have an idea?

youareme7

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Google nav is built into the Google Maps app, I would guess that they would be unable to disable that function specifically. I don't know for sure, but I think it will be available.

knappkd

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure it being built into google maps is correct. There is a google maps and a google maps w/navigation; right? I may be wrong on this, but I think there is a difference.

youareme7

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell there is only one "Google Maps" on the Android market and nav is built right in. It's listed as a feature of Google maps. I've never seen two versions of it. Back when Google maps was built in with Android releases nav was first released on only the newest phones, but once they broke Maps out into the market everyone that had a phone with the right version could get it. I could also be wrong on this but my experience is that I assume it will be there unless AT&T actively blocks Google Maps from the market.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
google maps might not come pre-installed on the device, but you should be able to download it from the market, and even if you cant, you should be able to sideload the apk (with the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine).

for comparisons sake, verizon stuck VZ navigator on the droid x, but you arent forced to use it for navigation. if you use the google maps app, you use google's nav service

Reactions: btgrave

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
But VZW also put a little trick in their if you click on a contacts address and click navigate it would try to launch VZW navigator because they set that as default

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
You might notice that Moto and AT&T both don't say this phone has any GPS at all. Or the accelerometer we're all used to seeing in top-tier phones.

I'm sure it has them, and we're just seeing releases that are being rushed out in the usual CES madness. Phones? Maybe 90 days away, plenty of time for the rumor mill and press releases to catch up and get it right.

I'm tickled pink, with the Captivate GPS issues I was looking at the Moto Deny, not top tier but after all you can use it in the rain without killing the phone. Now, the Atrix sounds like I can get a top-tier phone from a company that used to know how to make top-tier phones. Once the price ramps down.

And it will even be "4G-ish" since AT&T like every US carrier won't have a real 4G system.

If they only made the Atrix water-resistant, I'd fly out to Vegas and pry one out of someone's warm dead fingers.<G>

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Didn't notice that but I have no doubt it has GPS with Google maps and navigation along with at&t navigation

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Google Nav is not a separate app. The little icon is just a stub to the navigation part of Maps, like the places or latitude icons. If it has Google Maps, it has navigation. No need to fear. :)

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
AT&T lists Google Maps on their site.

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G - Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T

I know VZW has google maps and a verizon maps on the Blackberry Storm so who knows. Although as I still don't yet have an Android phone (the Atrix will be my first) I wonder if Google Maps runs differently on an Android device. My google maps for the Storm gives written turn by turn directions...not audible ones.

Google Maps in Android is pretty much a full functional nav system - unlike it is on other OS's. It gives audible directions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad