01-31-2011 08:21 PM
33 12
tools
    the lock button is on the back of the phone right? So depressing, i actually liked this phone, until i saw that the button is on the back -_-. guess i'll be sticking to my Desire Z for AT&T
    01-07-2011 02:23 PM
    Whose stupid idea was this?
    01-07-2011 02:45 PM
    its actually a fingerprint scanner built into the sleep wake switch so you can lock/unlock your phone without entering a password.
    01-07-2011 02:47 PM
    the lock button is on the back of the phone right? So depressing, i actually liked this phone, until i saw that the button is on the back -_-. guess i'll be sticking to my Desire Z for AT&T
    What am I missing that the location of a lock button would make you not want the most powerful/capable smart phone on the market? And it is angled on the top/back with an industry first integrated finger print scanner.
    01-07-2011 02:56 PM
    do we really need a finger print scanner? yeah its cool, and i'm not complaining about it, I just want a standard lock button.
    01-08-2011 03:00 PM
    Honestly I love the idea of a fingerprint scanner being in the lock button. Would eliminate my wife or anyone else snooping through. My phone
    btgrave likes this.
    01-08-2011 03:07 PM
    So, uh.. What happens if the fingerprint thing gets worn or doesn't work after a while?

If you call AT&T for a replacement device, they'll just send you a refurb.

I've been wanting this phone ever since I heard of it.. But Idk how I feel about the fingerprint reader, I'd much rather have a normal lock button on the top or the side of the phone..

Cool idea but I don't think its as practical as they wanted it to be.
    01-08-2011 05:35 PM
    So, uh.. What happens if the fingerprint thing gets worn or doesn't work after a while?

If you call AT&T for a replacement device, they'll just send you a refurb.

I've been wanting this phone ever since I heard of it.. But Idk how I feel about the fingerprint reader, I'd much rather have a normal lock button on the top or the side of the phone..

Cool idea but I don't think its as practical as they wanted it to be.
    So you want a new device after you wore out the fingerprint thing?

I agree with thebizz this is definetly going ot keep anyone especially nosy lvoed ones trying to spy on my text and on my phone. Will keep my pr0n safe lol.
    01-08-2011 05:47 PM
    Lol, I agree with you and thebizz completely. But I'm assuming when the screen times out it'll lock automatically, but you'd need the fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone, correct? Cause you wouldn't have to slide the thing on the screen if security was what you were going for, unless you have a password and stuff, which to me is annoying, cause I like to do things fast and just get to the point. But if your fingerprint scanner thing breaks, what do you do?

And would you still have to enter in a password even if you're using the fingerprint scanner?
    01-08-2011 06:04 PM
    Lol, I agree with you and thebizz completely. But I'm assuming when the screen times out it'll lock automatically, but you'd need the fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone, correct? Cause you wouldn't have to slide the thing on the screen if security was what you were going for, unless you have a password and stuff, which to me is annoying, cause I like to do things fast and just get to the point. But if your fingerprint scanner thing breaks, what do you do?

And would you still have to enter in a password even if you're using the fingerprint scanner?
    Im sure the fingerprint scanner is able to be turn on and off. I remember having a HP Ipaq(yes hp after they bought compaq) and mine had a fingerprint reader bt it coudl be turn on and off to my use. So im sure you can have it off while out and about, and on when out with the gf/wife so she cant see your sexting to a lover lol or what ever you dont want her to see.
    01-08-2011 06:18 PM
    Im sure the fingerprint scanner is able to be turn on and off. I remember having a HP Ipaq(yes hp after they bought compaq) and mine had a fingerprint reader bt it coudl be turn on and off to my use. So im sure you can have it off while out and about, and on when out with the gf/wife so she cant see your sexting to a lover lol or what ever you dont want her to see.
    Well fair enough then :P

Regardless of the fingerprint scanner, I'm definitely excited to get this phone
    01-08-2011 07:45 PM
    gonna be funny when it doesnt work right an your locked out of the phone. this phone was gonna keep me with att. but that lock screen is not cool. if the thunderbolt on verizon is here in coming weeks thats my pick
    01-08-2011 07:45 PM
    You don't have to use the fingerprint scanner; they were very clear at CES that users can either use the scanner or opt for the usual code/pattern unlock features.
    01-09-2011 08:16 AM
    Well, you don't have to use it, and I'm sure there is a way to work around the scanner if it fails. I'm just glad to see something "new" on a smartphone.
    01-09-2011 08:25 AM
    lol @ people worried about the fingerprint scanner.

1. I've never "worn out" a laptop scanner have you? (no)
    2. You can opt to not use it
    3. If your fingerprint doesn't work, you will most likely be able to ALSO use the password - the fingerprint will just trump whatever your login is just like on your laptops.

4. That is all
    john_v likes this.
    01-09-2011 01:38 PM
    The scanner can be turned off if you don't like it.
    The scanner doubles as an actual button there too, so you can press it on/off/lock, which can also be used with the scanner.
    Best part about the design is that it is slanted so that it fits really well with your index finger when holding the phone, so in a sense it is ergonomically built.

I think it is a genius idea and look forward to abusing it and showing it off
    Jonneh, textiaac and john_v like this.
    01-09-2011 05:54 PM
    The scanner doubles as an actual button there too, so you can press it on/off/lock, which can also be used with the scanner.
    Best part about the design is that it is slanted so that it fits really well with your index finger when holding the phone, so in a sense it is ergonomically built.

case closed
    01-09-2011 10:57 PM
    Greatest Android phone to date and some are crying about the fingerprint scanner. Unbelievable.
    btgrave and john_v like this.
    01-10-2011 12:56 PM
    I hope they add a "lock app" functionality witht he fingerprint lock. I might be ok handing my phone to a friend, but I don't need them going through my email etc. I actually had a cousin do that. Sat there for 10 minutes reading my texts before I noticed (thought he was gaming). I was so mad.
    01-10-2011 02:26 PM
    I'm used to my emails messages etc are read whenever I lay my phone down but I get into trouble when I use a password or pattern can't win for loosing. Oh well I've got nothing to hide. I would love to have this just to say I have to use the scanner, would probably work seeing she doesn't know android
    01-10-2011 02:44 PM
    I hope they add a "lock app" functionality witht he fingerprint lock. I might be ok handing my phone to a friend, but I don't need them going through my email etc. I actually had a cousin do that. Sat there for 10 minutes reading my texts before I noticed (thought he was gaming). I was so mad.
    My guess is that apps like "app protector" ect will be able to utilize any of the security measures built into the phone just like they can with the pattern/passwords currently used. Here's to hoping.

On a side note, your cousin is not a trustworthy or good person if he thinks reading your texts like that is an ok thing to do. My guess is that is just one layer of his self absorbed personality. Least you know this now.
    textiaac likes this.
    01-10-2011 02:50 PM

Same here...I can already hear myself being obnoxious..."Can your phone do this? Oh, you have an app for that?"

Well, you don't have to use it, and I'm sure there is a way to work around the scanner if it fails. I'm just glad to see something "new" on a smartphone.
    Ditto on the something new part...as I've been studying and researching which phone I'm going to lock myself into for the next 2 years, one thing I've really liked about Android is the constant "pushing of the envelope." However, a lot of the more recent "high-end" models really just look alike. I think that Moto has raised the bar with the Atrix, when you consider something like the scanner, and the different docking stations. Within a year, I could see the docking stations and the Atrix replacing my laptop, with the exception of a couple video editing programs. But it would be really sweet to leave the laptop at work, and if I needed to do something at home, drop it in the multimedia dock, and "git er done"
    01-10-2011 09:34 PM
    I just hope it isn't awkward trying to reach it.. Very cool though.
    01-11-2011 05:52 PM

Looks like it shouldn't be too awkward, but I wish it had been a little closer to the left edge.
    01-12-2011 02:37 PM
    E-Man, are you from VA?
    01-12-2011 02:39 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD