I've watched a lot of the CES videos, but can't seem to find whether a feature exists. At one point, the rep full-screened the phone portion and it looked like the resolution was set the phone, 4" screen default. I am wondering if you can view and edit documents (Word, excel) in full screen mode, but at a more reasonable desktop-like resolution. It would be frustrating to have an 11 inch screen that only showed 20 cells of a spreadsheet. I understand that you could use google docs or other cloud based programs, but it's be nice to have the freedom to work on a document in full screen without Cloud support.

Has anybody seen or heard of this fucntionality yet?
    01-27-2011 10:37 AM
    We won't know for sure until we actually get some reviews in, but it did look like when the phone interface is full screen, it's just a blown-up version instead of actually being a higher resolution.

I've seen several CES videos, and the Moto people were pretty adamant that the only dedicated webtop apps will be Firefox and a Citrix client. So, it looks like everything will need to be done within the browser (Google Docs, etc), via a Citrix server, or via the phone interface.

I'm willing to bet we'll see some interesting phone apps that will somehow take advantage of the full screen mode in the Atrix doc. Perhaps some kind of modification to QuickOffice?
    01-27-2011 12:16 PM
    That's what I'm hoping. In DocsToGo, you can zoom out of a spreadsheet or document. Maybe that will work. It depends on how the full-screen feature is fed. It just sucks that the dock is not coming out at the launch, so we would have to wait even longer to buy the phone. I also want to confirm that Verizon is going to screw us on the data plans with 4G capable phones, even without 4G coverage, before I jump ship. I guess that would go with AT&Ts data plans also.
    01-27-2011 12:29 PM
    If you build it, they will come.

I imagine the desktop and webtop docks will spark a huge demand for an Android OpenOffice* port. I wouldn't worry- the hacking community is collectively licking their chops right now in anticipation for what they can actually do with it. So if Motorola doesn't have anything besides the web browser available, never fear.

*well, most likely the LibreOffice fork, since Oracle owns OpenOffice.org now
    01-27-2011 12:31 PM
    As of yet all apps (besides the native version of Firefox) blown up in laptop mode. I would hope to see some apps become more native for laptop mode or maybe a app store only for the laptop side would help?
    01-27-2011 12:38 PM
    As of yet all apps (besides the native version of Firefox) blown up in laptop mode. I would hope to see some apps become more native for laptop mode or maybe a app store only for the laptop side would help?
    My guess is once the tablets like the Xoom take off a bit, the laptop dock will be able to utilize/share the tablet resolution programs/coding. This will be easily updated via firmware updates I should think.
    01-27-2011 12:59 PM
    I would assume that most developers are looking to move into tablets anyway. With the Blackberry Playbook having a similar form/function to the Motorola Atrix/Dock, it seems things would make sense to move that way. As the phones become more and more powerful, makes sense that they are utilized in the Atrix method. I for one, would love to see this continue. Why not carry the power of your laptop in your phone and only open the larger screen/keyboard when necessary.

Until then, I'm sure an office suite for the Artix won't be far off since it is being being targeted at the business user as well as the consumer.
    01-27-2011 02:05 PM
    Why not carry the power of your laptop in your phone and only open the larger screen/keyboard when necessary.
    With a smartphone, you already are carrying the power of a laptop. The Atrix with dock just makes it easier to utilize.
    01-27-2011 10:28 PM
    With a smartphone, you already are carrying the power of a laptop. The Atrix with dock just makes it easier to utilize.
    Does your current phone have a dual-core processor and DDR2 RAM? Cause mine doesn't. Maybe we're carrying around the power of a netbook. :-)
    john_v likes this.
    01-28-2011 06:40 AM