Citrix Question

Mobutu

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The Citrix reciever is on of the more intriguing aspects of this phone. Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what would I have to have installed on my Windows7 PC at home for the Citrix reciever to work?

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's the demo of it:
YouTube - Motorola ATRIX + Citrix Receiver = NirvanaPhone ( Full Demo )

For Companies:
When you launch Citrix Receiver: Go to your company logon page and sign in (two-factor security like RSA is fully functional) and you're presented with your Web Interface list of Windows work applications from XenApp, or a full Windows 7 Virtual Desktop provided by XenDesktop. The apps run just as if it were a local PC, and often faster. There are three docking scenarios:

1. No dock, HDMI cable only direct to PC display or TV. Bluetooth keyboard optional.
2. HD dock, includes HDMI plus 3 USB ports, audio and power.
3. Laptop dock. Plug the Atrix into the dock and get a laptop replacement.

For Personal:
You can use XenDesktop Express which is free but it only allows up to four Desktops to be run. They also have XenApp and other variations of their virtual desktop service that caters to individuals.

Basically, the Atrix has the Citrix Receiver already installed into it, and acts as one.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank-you Bob for your response.

I'm very excited by the ability of the Atrix to show me a full virtualized desktop on the go. This could be so liberating for my 1-man business.

But here's the thing: The whole Citrix thing seems geared towards big corporations. For the individual or small business it doesn't look very practical. Or at least it requires that you completely change how you use computers: you have to move everything to the Citrix cloud and use that for all your day to day computing so that the day you need to access it from your phone it's all there. That's a big change.

Also, it doesn't look cheap. I can't find a lot of references to XenDesktop Express but in one forums page a Citrix employee called it a "trial" version. I am not comforted by the idea of keeping all my business computing setup on a "trial" thing.

I guess there is always GoToMyPC that could be run from the Firefox browser on the Atrix but I wonder what the performance would be like. Could the Citrix receiver be comptible with GoToMyPC?

Cheers,

Oliver

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There are currently VNC and Remote Desktop applications on the market that allow you to do this- the only difference between those and Citrix is that Citrix has had a head-start developing this feature for the Atrix 4G.

Give it time, I think some 3rd-party devs will surprise you. :)

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am aware that there are VNC and RDP apps in the Android Market, but as I understand it these will run at the phone's resolution (960 by 540 pixels) in webtop, not at the dock's resolution (possibly 1366 by 768 according to netbooknews.com). This makes a big difference to me.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am aware that there are VNC and RDP apps in the Android Market, but as I understand it these will run at the phone's resolution (960 by 540 pixels) in webtop, not at the dock's resolution (possibly 1366 by 768 according to netbooknews.com). This makes a big difference to me.

You are correct, as of yet there are no apps that take full use of webtop mode (besides the firefox app that is preinstalled), i hope that Motorola will make an sdk or something to help developers take advantage of full advantage of the webtop hardware.

Mobutu

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answer. From what I gather I can download the free XenDesktopExpress or use Gotomypc and I assume the former will be more functional than the latter.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
... I can download the free XenDesktopExpress ...

Does anybody have first hand experience with XenDesktopExpress?

As I understand it it's not something you download onto your computer. It is a completely NEW and different PC that runs in the cloud and that you access via the net. In other words, it's a new and different place onto which you'll have to install all your desktop software and keep your data in sync with if you want it to be of any use.

But this is just what I gather from the Citrix site which frankly is not designed to provide you with a quick answer to anything. gah.

If anybody has first hand experience with XenDesktopExpress please let us know what it's like.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Now that the phone is out and some of you own it...

Have some of you tried to set up your Citrix environment? I'd love to hear first hand experience from someone who set up their Atrix to use Citrix in a small business / personal use type of situation.

citrix "quick start guide"

Thanks!