02-07-2011 07:33 PM
37 12
tools
    Now that we know the exact release date is anyone reconsidering. I think devices at MWC will match or surpass the atrix and if release dates are anywhere close to May (like the HTC first dual-core HTC Pyramid: dual-core, 1.2GHz handset headed to T-Mobile? | BGR | Boy Genius Report ) or The Samsung dual core who is willing to wait.
    02-03-2011 11:51 AM
    Now that we know the exact release date is anyone reconsidering. I think devices at MWC will match or surpass the atrix and if release dates are anywhere close to May (like the HTC first dual-core HTC Pyramid: dual-core, 1.2GHz handset headed to T-Mobile? | BGR | Boy Genius Report ) or The Samsung dual core who is willing to wait.
    I'm not sure anymore. If the prices hold true then I might indeed wait.
    02-03-2011 12:01 PM
    I'm not sure anymore. If the prices hold true then I might indeed wait.
    Agreed. The htc is destined for tmobile not AT&T so i dont know. I might get it i was hesitant on getting the laptop dock anyways so if this price is true it will just put me at ease for not getting it.
    02-03-2011 12:05 PM
    I might still get the phone itself and wait on the laptop dock. Amazon always comes through in the clutch. :P
    02-03-2011 12:10 PM
    I might still get the phone itself and wait on the laptop dock. Amazon always comes through in the clutch. :P
    Amazon, newegg and a few other sites usually have cheaper prices.
    02-03-2011 12:12 PM
    Amazon, newegg and a few other sites usually have cheaper prices.
    Exactly. Might have to wait a little while but oh well. Anything but $499 if that indeed is the price it will be.
    02-03-2011 12:18 PM
    Between Verizon throttling data speeds and controlling the quality of multimedia you play via their network, and this unconfirmed crazy Atrix pricing........looks like I'll just wait till March before deciding anything.

Heck......I might just go grab a N8, combine that with the unlimited data for non-smartphones plan from AT&T for $10 and be a happy person with more money in my pocket per month with a smartphone and the ability to take crazy good pictures if I want.

Life was simpler when the RAZR was the greatest thing out there :/
    02-03-2011 12:22 PM
    If March 6 is indeed the date, then yes, I'm going to have to find something else soon. I can't use my 3gs for more than 3 minutes without it rebooting...did it to me on a phone call yesterday and I wanted to chuck it through the window into the 20 inches of snow on the ground.

Maybe I'll see what the Inspire looks like...
    02-03-2011 12:32 PM
    If March 6 is indeed the date, then yes, I'm going to have to find something else soon. I can't use my 3gs for more than 3 minutes without it rebooting...did it to me on a phone call yesterday and I wanted to chuck it through the window into the 20 inches of snow on the ground.

Maybe I'll see what the Inspire looks like...
    For $100 cheaper, I'm thinking that MAYBE I can grow to like a .3 inch bigger screen, no front facing camera, 3 more megapixel camera, less battery capacity, 4-month old phone.
    02-03-2011 01:28 PM
    For AT&T I would go with the Atrix....unless something else is going to be announced that's coming out soon.
    02-03-2011 01:41 PM
    For $100 cheaper, I'm thinking that MAYBE I can grow to like a .3 inch bigger screen, no front facing camera, 3 more megapixel camera, less battery capacity, 4-month old phone.
    I know...I would totally feel like I was "settling" for less. If my current phone wasn't being stupid, I imagine I could wait. However, losing phone calls while talking to your boss isn't on the top 10 list of ways to advance your career
    02-03-2011 01:55 PM
    I'm right there with you guys. I have been using a pos messaging phone for the past five months and it's killing me. I was going to save my upgrade for the Atrix, but don't know if I can hold out any longer. The inspire looks nice for the time being, but after a year will it still hold up against the competition? I'm too sure about that..

What is the time window for trying phones out and then returning them to att? I might just do this with the inspire before switching to the atrix..
    02-03-2011 02:02 PM
    I know...I would totally feel like I was "settling" for less. If my current phone wasn't being stupid, I imagine I could wait. However, losing phone calls while talking to your boss isn't on the top 10 list of ways to advance your career
    You could just go the "try" inspire for 30 days and then return it for Atrix later (with a hopefully cheaper price a month later). That's what I would do if I absolutely HAD to have a phone in that time period.
    02-03-2011 02:03 PM
    You could just go the "try" inspire for 30 days and then return it for Atrix later (with a hopefully cheaper price a month later). That's what I would do if I absolutely HAD to have a phone in that time period.
    How does it work with returning phones to a different store? I'm out of town for 2 weeks when the atrix comes out, so the timing wouldn't really work right (unless ATT doesn't care where you return it, as long as you have the receipt and packaging.)

Any ATT people chime in on this?
    02-03-2011 02:06 PM
    This is exactly what I'm thinking about doing. I'm kind of fuzzy about the details surrounding which stores you can exchange phones with as well. I completely feel you're pain right now runs with scissors.
    02-03-2011 02:16 PM
    How does it work with returning phones to a different store? I'm out of town for 2 weeks when the atrix comes out, so the timing wouldn't really work right (unless ATT doesn't care where you return it, as long as you have the receipt and packaging.)

You should be able to return it to any Corp AT&T store. Call a local store and ask a rep they should know the answer.

iPhone Tapatalk
    02-03-2011 02:29 PM

If you have a Costco membership, you can buy from their kiosk and return your devices within 90 days, no questions asked.
    ka3yan likes this.
    02-03-2011 02:40 PM
    If you have a Costco membership, you can buy from their kiosk and return your devices within 90 days, no questions asked.
    This is good to know. I always forget about Costco and their excellent return policy.
    02-03-2011 02:54 PM
    This is good to know. I always forget about Costco and their excellent return policy.
    Just remember that you still only have 30 days with the carrier to qualify for no ETF.
    02-03-2011 03:26 PM
    What exactly is the costco return policy because I know my parents have a membership through them, And if I can I will get the inspire and return it and get the atrix.
    02-03-2011 04:48 PM
    The expensive docks is kind of a deal breaker and the inspire's lack of front facing camera sux. I am going to buy the atrix, root it asap, and run vanilla android with all its side loading goodness.

This is what i recommend buying instead:

Artix + netbook + PDA Net = PWN
    02-03-2011 06:11 PM
    I'm in your boat op. When the EVO first came out, I was like "That is the only android phone I want". So I waited for it to come to another carrier besides sprint because sprint isn't that good where I live. Then I saw that the Desire was coming to AT&T. I thought "well, I'm sure they will update it (front camera) before it come to AT&T".

So now I'm still waiting. I'm hoping that some other EVO like device with a front camera will be announced for AT&T but I'm not holding my breath. *sigh* I guess I'll get the Atrix unless something better is announced.
    02-04-2011 01:39 AM
    I'm in your boat op. When the EVO first came out, I was like "That is the only android phone I want". So I waited for it to come to another carrier besides sprint because sprint isn't that good where I live. Then I saw that the Desire was coming to AT&T. I thought "well, I'm sure they will update it (front camera) before it come to AT&T".

So now I'm still waiting. I'm hoping that some other EVO like device with a front camera will be announced for AT&T but I'm not holding my breath. *sigh* I guess I'll get the Atrix unless something better is announced.
    Samsung Infuse 4G? But that won't be out till April at the earliest.
    02-04-2011 02:02 PM
    With lock down and no plans to purchase laptop dock at that price, I see two options for me.
    1. wait for att nexus s (likely soon, but probably unsubsidized again)
    2. Get atrix to renew contract and wait for next nexus (beyond the S)
    I will probably go with option 2. Nexus S is nice but not that much better than N1. However I enjoy the stock experience and options and am leary how hackable the atrix will be. If they can get cyanogen on atrix that would be great...
    02-04-2011 02:22 PM
    Was going to get the Atrix and laptop dock, but not with the pricing I saw for the dock.

So now I'm considering the Thunderbolt (maybe Pyramid if comes to Verizon or AT&T). Will eagerly await MWC for new info / phones.

Atrix has better resolution screen, but no biggy. Probably won't much notice.

Thunderbolt has better design (my opinion)

Atrix has fingerprint scanner - nice, but no big deal if I don't have it.

Thunderbolt most likely has better camera optics (this is just from experience htc vs motorola)

Atrix has ability to dock to laptop - wont buy it, so who cares?

Thunderbolt will have easy to hack, no efuse bootloader and huge hacking community.

Atrix has more RAM, but not by much. If I remember correctly, it may even have LESS in most applications if only 1/2 gig is used when not docked to laptop / using webtop.

Atrix has more internal memory (16GB vs 8GB)

Thunderbolt comes with 32GB SD Card - Atrix comes with none.

All in all the real world performance will probably be similar, and you get a nicer looking phone, better OS overlay, and no eFuse b.s. to deal with.
    02-04-2011 07:49 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD