02-10-2011 01:13 AM
103 12345
tools
    I am a road warrior. I don't have a cube in the office. I work 95% "in the field". Rather get an LTE/4G mifi/hotspot and a fast ssd for my current setup.

With that said ill still take a serious look at the various combos with the atrix. But I do that with every newly released/announced tech toy. Price is a bit high but right in the limit of current offerings. People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.
    02-04-2011 01:43 AM
    People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.
    They could have tried to price this one of two ways as I see it. What everyone here was hoping, is that they would go for a low, penetration pricing. Sell this one cheap, tons of people buy it, and it builds the base for an awesome new form factor. Personally, I think they would have made a lot more money doing this an focusing on compatibility with many phones down the line.

Instead, they are being greedy and trying to milk every quick buck out of it they can. They took what could have been an awesome model, and threw it under the bus by marking it up well above cost. Sure they will probably make a bit more money in the first few months, but, long term, this tech just isn't going to survive.
    02-04-2011 02:27 AM
    I am a road warrior. I don't have a cube in the office. I work 95% "in the field". Rather get an LTE/4G mifi/hotspot and a fast ssd for my current setup.

With that said ill still take a serious look at the various combos with the atrix. But I do that with every newly released/announced tech toy. Price is a bit high but right in the limit of current offerings. People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.
    When the shell is priced higher than the cost of a netbook or laptop even from Worst Buy. It is Moto that needs the economics class. It is something because of it hooking up to the phone but it is really nothing more than a empty shell of a netbook. So not that new really netbooks have been around years.
    $300 at time of purchase for a keyboard 11.6in screen and 2 usb ports is unreasonable. And if you choose to not buy it with the phone even more so going up to $500.
    02-04-2011 02:43 AM
    I was really looking forward to all the functionality of this phone with the docks, it was looking very cool and something that i definitely would have used were it 100 or less..... still want the phone tho
    02-04-2011 03:10 AM
    When the shell is priced higher than the cost of a netbook or laptop even from Worst Buy. It is Moto that needs the economics class. It is something because of it hooking up to the phone but it is really nothing more than a empty shell of a netbook. So not that new really netbooks have been around years.
    $300 at time of purchase for a keyboard 11.6in screen and 2 usb ports is unreasonable. And if you choose to not buy it with the phone even more so going up to $500.
    I can guarantee you the decision to price it this way was AT&T's. After the bootloader debacle, and their recent troubles, I would bet money Motorola would have priced it as low as they could to get a win with consumers.
    02-04-2011 03:14 AM
    I wonder if there will be a 3rd party dock that will be way cheaper.
    02-04-2011 04:57 AM
    They are now forcing you to subscribe to the tethering plan (add $20 more per month) in order to use the dock.

Yeah, I'm reconsidering this after all.
    What? A tethering plan for the dock? That's nickle and dime BS. This kind of nickle and dime crap (no longer having unlimited data) is one of the reasons why I left AT&T and would never go back to them. No Atrix in my future. Already have a fully ruggedized laptop that cost as much as the doc used and is fully functional without my phone.
    02-04-2011 07:53 AM
    They could have tried to price this one of two ways as I see it. What everyone here was hoping, is that they would go for a low, penetration pricing. Sell this one cheap, tons of people buy it, and it builds the base for an awesome new form factor. Personally, I think they would have made a lot more money doing this an focusing on compatibility with many phones down the line.

Instead, they are being greedy and trying to milk every quick buck out of it they can. They took what could have been an awesome model, and threw it under the bus by marking it up well above cost. Sure they will probably make a bit more money in the first few months, but, long term, this tech just isn't going to survive.
    Greed may be good for the greedy, but a pointless empty shell that only works with the phone? Who's going to buy this later for $500 when you can get a full fledge laptop for that price that doesn't require your phone? Maybe the idle rich who think the price of this doc is a good deal, should take an economics course. You and the bankers will think this is cool at first, until you realize that you and overpaid execs are the only ones buying this useless POS.
    02-04-2011 07:58 AM
    This is where carrier and manufacturer lockdown really has a cost. Off-contract price for the Atrix and dock is around $1000, but it's not like buying a laptop - you can't upgrade the software at will, and when AT&T decides the phone's at end of life, all that money is down the drain. What's the chance that any other phone will be compatible with this dock? Probably about the same as the chance that someone will make a new phone that fits the Nexus One docks.

Since the G1, carriers have a history of euthanizing their Android phones in 12-18 months. Are you ready to throw your $1000 laptop away a year and a half after you buy it brand new? I didn't think so.

Nobody who does the most basic analysis is going to buy this dock.
    Those who have more money than sense, will buy this dock and complain that anyone who wouldn't or can't afford it is "cheap", "uninformed", or "doesn't get it". The points above are the most valid points I've heard yet. At end of life of the phone, what happens to that investment in the tech? You ebay it and buy whatever the latest thing is, right? See if you can get anything close to what you paid for it. Good luck with that. Waste of money, as stated.
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-04-2011 08:04 AM
    I wonder if there will be a 3rd party dock that will be way cheaper.
    Im sure there will be after the phone comes out, give it time. There will be others and I'm sure this price won't hold. Its to high.

I'm still considering the phone though, but will wait until after the first run comes out to see feed back or any issues that may arise. I won't buy this laptop dock regardless of price because I have a laptop.
    ftonyp likes this.
    02-04-2011 08:22 AM
    $500 for a laptop with no RAM or HDD or CPU....WTF?

Why not just buy a BB Playbook, Motorola Xoom, or any other tablet for around $500.

If you absolutely need a laptop (typing etc.) then just get the hotspot plan or a MiFi. Better yet, root and rom your device and get a free hotspot.
    02-04-2011 09:02 AM
    People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.
    I think it should be priced to sell. I've had intro to micro and macro econ and still feel that these are not priced to sell. Just read the comments from all the potential former buyers. The readers commenting on the various blogs (engadget, android central, etc.) are a sign of consumer displeasure. I'm sure there will be units sold, but intro to econ is not going to sell more of them. This whole debacle with the docks is going to turn some potential buyers off to the Atrix. Add the BS with the CLIQ XT, and potential buyers might be turned off of the Motorola brand completely.
    02-04-2011 09:23 AM
    Locking the bootloader plus overpriced phone dock = "hell no" in the eyes of most here. probably elsewhere as well.
    02-04-2011 09:43 AM
    That's all additional work, additional steps, more time. This is effortless. Everything you work on, all your music, all your stuff is all on your phone. And while I indulge in the occasional Youtube (maybe 10 a month) and check my Google Finance regularly every day multiple times of day, do email and texting and calling, I've yet to breach even 1 gig of data. I just don't think geeks on this site are normal users.
    I don't think normal users will understand the distinction between the Atrix's dumb terminal solution and just using a laptop. The value proposition may be ideal for road warriors, but is really only perceived by geeks.

Look at the comment threads and forums on any tech site. When the Atrix was first announced, maybe 80% of the feedback was that it was the new Jesusphone, and 20% retorted, "Why not just get a laptop?" Now it's more like 98% of the feedback is negative, and it's all coming from the community of would-be early adopters.

I've been using smartphones for over 10 years, since the Sprint Treo 300, but I've never seen a phone that ever made be consider switching carriers until the Atrix. Now I'm relieved that it's off my list. Honestly, I probably could have rationalized the $500 bundle, but the charge for a tethering plan that's not being used insults my intelligence, and I don't see how any responsible consumer can justify paying this artificial premium.
    john_v, Nchaka, das8nt and 1 others like this.
    02-04-2011 10:38 AM
    Im still considering the phone because it looks like a great phone. But i am going to hold off on the dock because the price is way to high. I'll wait till amazon sells it or find one on Ebay The reason for that stupid tethering plan is because its pure profit fot AT&T. It wouldn't surprise me that if someday that AT&T drops that requirement. Yes i know that unlikely to happen but hey one can dream.
    02-04-2011 11:05 AM
    [QUOTE=netposer;580852]$500 for a laptop with no RAM or HDD or CPU....WTF?

Why not just buy a BB Playbook, Motorola Xoom, or any other tablet for around $500.

If you absolutely need a laptop (typing etc.) then just get the hotspot plan or a MiFi. Better yet, root and rom your device and get a free hotspot.[/QUOTE

There are ways around the limits that the carrier places on their phones. In case of the Atrix. I would Root the device and get a free hotspot.
    02-04-2011 11:13 AM
    ...but the charge for a tethering plan that's not being used insults my intelligence, and I don't see how any responsible consumer can justify paying this artificial premium.
    Amen.
    02-04-2011 11:15 AM
    Honestly, I probably could have rationalized the $500 bundle, but the charge for a tethering plan that's not being used insults my intelligence, and I don't see how any responsible consumer can justify paying this artificial premium.
    Precisely my thought.

Yes I could have swallowed the $500, after all buy an off contract phone and you are in that ballpark'ish. I t's that alleged tethering fine from AT&T, sorry that should be fee, that I just cannot justify.

MWC coming soon no doubt something Android will grab my attention from there. Alas due to having various folks in my AT&T family plan having different contract expiry dates I am locked in but the more I think about that tethering nonsense the resolute I become that the Atrix will not appear in my pocket. In the grand scheme of things will this make a difference to AT&T and Motorola....probably not but if enough people tell them this is the reason they are not selling what should have been the hottest device launched at the time well maybe they will learn.
    02-04-2011 11:22 AM
    I really thought the laptop dock was a cool idea, if it was priced reasonably
    I mean the thing really is just a keyboard and a screen, not worth the price imho
    since your required to get a tethering plan, which I suspected might happen
    you are better off getting a cheap netbook and tethering, as you'll be able to do a lot more with a regular netbook.
    If your rooted or running a custom rom you likely have free tethering, so your much better off in that case
    02-04-2011 11:32 AM
    I never assumed I'd be in the market for the laptop dock...and that assumption has been confirmed.

However I'm very disappointed in the media dock pricing. I definitely don't want/need the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and hope there is an a la carte option. But given the $190 price tag of the bundle, that doesn't bode well for the $40-50 price range I thought was reasonable for a relatively dumb piece of hardware.

I'm still in the market for an Atrix though and will likely be on the pre-order list. My BB9000 contract runs out this month, so I'll take the phone for a spin and return within 30 days if anything smells funny.

Honestly, the make or break for me will be if Denver is going to get HSPA+ back-haul installed before 3/6...nothing will **** me off more that if I see that little 4G icon because the towers have the HSPA+ radios, but I don't get the speeds that should go with it.
    02-04-2011 12:06 PM
    I can go and get a fully functional laptop for that price that does not have to have a phone plugged into the back of it to work. Not sure what they are thinking. I think maybe $199 would make sense.
    02-04-2011 12:27 PM
    I've read alot of the posts on AT&Ts facebook page regarding the tethering charge and they refuse to answer the posts. They say they will "look into it" or "will let someone know"
    Hopefully, if they don't change their tethering charge, the sales of the Atrix won't as big as they expect.
    Has Motorola responded to peoples complaints? It affects their bottom line too. It would be a shame for Motorola to be punished for At&t's stupidity. Motorola should have put the Atrix on other carriers also.
    02-04-2011 07:42 PM
    Just curious: what happens if you're in the middle of editing a spreadsheet on your docked Atrix and you get a phone call?
    02-05-2011 12:00 AM
    Just curious: what happens if you're in the middle of editing a spreadsheet on your docked Atrix and you get a phone call?
    It should multi-task, allowing you to answer the call and continue editing the spreadsheet without issue.
    02-05-2011 09:13 AM
    I don't know what to do now. I was set on the Atrix until the pricing announcement as well as the ridiculous tethering cost. I am grandfathered into unlimited data, but if I add tethering, doesn't that cause me to alter my plan, effectively removing my unlimited data in favor of the caps? Well, even if it doesn't, I just can't justify a tethering charge for this ****. It's ridiculous - so I won't be paying for it.

Personally, I do like HTC's hardware over any other manufacturer's, aesthetically. I don't know if I should go for the HTC Inspire on AT&T or not...I'm so confused now! I've had this upgrade for months and months, just waiting.

The HTC phone is a lot cheaper at just $99 for upgrade price...and I am a somewhat-poor-college-student after all...I'd keep my unlimited data for sure due to not changing my plan at all...but I do prefer Atrix's large battery and 4" screen over Inspire's 4.3" screen and ridiculously tiny battery.. - but there will be 3rd party batteries made, right? Gah, just don't know what to do now.
    02-05-2011 10:00 AM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD