Webtop Dock will be $300/$500! Thoughts?

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I could hear the proverbial wind being sucked out of a million nerd's sails today with this announcement. From hope to nope in 2.2 seconds.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out in March for AT&T. I don't think these accessories would attract your average Joe consumer, and they have certainly been panned by us bleeding-edge nerds with the announcement of the prices. GFL AT&T!

Agreed. Pricing, locked down bootloader and most likely no sideload apps due to ATT policy (sideload wonder machine to the rescue) they really screwed this one up for me. :'(

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Well have fun tearing up the road with your 2gb of data. Seriously. And to the response of "use wifi", well if you have a wifi connection just might as well have a real laptop to get stuff done.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade (seeing as ATT did enough of that today). I was pumped about this, but someone in another thread (or maybe this one, they're all running together) said it best: AT&T just took away unlimited data in order to use something that is going to encourage heavy data use. Not only do they get you on the extra 20 for the tethering plan, but then when you go over your 2gb tiered limit logging into your citrix client from the road, they'll get you for overages there.

Who says you're going to use up your 2 gigs simply working with Word or Excel via the Citrix Receiver virtualization on your desktop? Isn't it video that's the most intensive use of data transfer? And isn't video more for pleasure than work?

Mind you, I'm certainly not defending AT&T's rates, simply the cost of the bundle Atrix plus lapdock. I'll say it again. This isn't for mere play and fun like the iPad (and believe me I've heard from lots of associates that you can't get any real work done on the iPad), it's for productivity.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Who says you're going to use up your 2 gigs simply working with Word or Excel via the Citrix Receiver virtualization on your desktop? Isn't it video that's the most intensive use of data transfer? And isn't video more for pleasure than work?

Mind you, I'm certainly not defending AT&T's rates, simply the cost of the bundle Atrix plus lapdock. I'll say it again. This isn't for mere play and fun like the iPad (and believe me I've heard from lots of associations that you can't get any real work done on the iPad), it's for productivity.

Well it's either a "ultimate road warriors tool" or something for doing word or excel; which one? Seriously, do you really need to log in to citrix to do word and excel? I could do that on a netbook or regular laptop (and keep my unlimited data). And besides, you have to keep in mind that the 2g limit includes everything you do with your phone, including the "tethering" (maybe I'm wrong there, but that's the way I understand their plan - If I'm wrong on that point I will graciously admit it)

I really think that your "ultimate road warrior" you conjured up in your first post is going to be doing more than "word and excel" and will burn through 2g in no time flat.

The other thing is this...if all you need is document syncing, services such as dropbox are great for that. And they're free (up to a point). No tethering fee required.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This isn't for mere play and fun like the iPad (and believe me I've heard from lots of associates that you can't get any real work done on the iPad), it's for productivity.

I missed this point first time around...no one in this thread has mentioned an ipad, so why bring it up? The alternatives people are discussing as opposed to the atrix are a good old fashioned laptop or netbook.

Andy Thatcher

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was probably still am considering getting the Atrix as my first Android device to see if it can reliably replace my beloved Berry however........

I was considering the laptop dock but the absurdity of paying a tethering charge to use a battery and screen has written that off.

I am not due an upgrade until August so will wait and see how it goes.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Well it's either a "ultimate road warriors tool" or something for doing word or excel; which one? Seriously, do you really need to log in to citrix to do word and excel? I could do that on a netbook or regular laptop (and keep my unlimited data). And besides, you have to keep in mind that the 2g limit includes everything you do with your phone, including the "tethering" (maybe I'm wrong there, but that's the way I understand their plan - If I'm wrong on that point I will graciously admit it)

I really think that your "ultimate road warrior" you conjured up in your first post is going to be doing more than "word and excel" and will burn through 2g in no time flat.

The other thing is this...if all you need is document syncing, services such as dropbox are great for that. And they're free (up to a point). No tethering fee required.

That's all additional work, additional steps, more time. This is effortless. Everything you work on, all your music, all your stuff is all on your phone. And while I indulge in the occasional Youtube (maybe 10 a month) and check my Google Finance regularly every day multiple times of day, do email and texting and calling, I've yet to breach even 1 gig of data. I just don't think geeks on this site are normal users.

As for the ultimate road warrior, what the hell do you think I mean by that? Business people who basically use Word and Excel and Powerpoint and travel a lot and don't want to have to worry whether they downloaded all they need for the presentation or whatever. And if they want to make changes on the go, they can. And if they left something important on their desktop, well they can access it. Ever work in an office yourself where people travel?

This is important. You really need to "get it." The concept, not the product. I'm not saying you should buy it, it may not fit your needs. I'm just explaining how incredibly cool it sounds to me and how people spend a lot more for things that do a lot less.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I missed this point first time around...no one in this thread has mentioned an ipad, so why bring it up? The alternatives people are discussing as opposed to the atrix are a good old fashioned laptop or netbook.

And why limit the discussion to that when people are paying $500 for iPads and it would appear that the Xoom will be similarly priced? In general we are discussing the functionality of mobile products.

My thesis is that the Atrix plus lapdock equation represents a far more productive experience that can also be entertaining for the same price as a tablet alone or a laptop alone. A netbook would be comparative price-wise with a smart phone if you got a $300 netbook, but would they interact the same way? No.

mobilityguy

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
This is where carrier and manufacturer lockdown really has a cost. Off-contract price for the Atrix and dock is around $1000, but it's not like buying a laptop - you can't upgrade the software at will, and when AT&T decides the phone's at end of life, all that money is down the drain. What's the chance that any other phone will be compatible with this dock? Probably about the same as the chance that someone will make a new phone that fits the Nexus One docks.

Since the G1, carriers have a history of euthanizing their Android phones in 12-18 months. Are you ready to throw your $1000 laptop away a year and a half after you buy it brand new? I didn't think so.

Nobody who does the most basic analysis is going to buy this dock.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
According to the AT&T hotspot/tethering announcement you get an additional 2gb of data for a total of 4gb.

If you pickup the Atrix 4G lapdock bundle, it effectively costs you $780 for the lapdock (not including taxes).
$499 (Bundle)
-$199 (Phone)
+$480 (tether @ $20/month for 24 months)

Reactions: john_v

flacoff

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I am a road warrior. I don't have a cube in the office. I work 95% "in the field". Rather get an LTE/4G mifi/hotspot and a fast ssd for my current setup.

With that said ill still take a serious look at the various combos with the atrix. But I do that with every newly released/announced tech toy. Price is a bit high but right in the limit of current offerings. People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.

sma11s101

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.

They could have tried to price this one of two ways as I see it. What everyone here was hoping, is that they would go for a low, penetration pricing. Sell this one cheap, tons of people buy it, and it builds the base for an awesome new form factor. Personally, I think they would have made a lot more money doing this an focusing on compatibility with many phones down the line.

Instead, they are being greedy and trying to milk every quick buck out of it they can. They took what could have been an awesome model, and threw it under the bus by marking it up well above cost. Sure they will probably make a bit more money in the first few months, but, long term, this tech just isn't going to survive.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I am a road warrior. I don't have a cube in the office. I work 95% "in the field". Rather get an LTE/4G mifi/hotspot and a fast ssd for my current setup.

With that said ill still take a serious look at the various combos with the atrix. But I do that with every newly released/announced tech toy. Price is a bit high but right in the limit of current offerings. People saying that it should be $100 need to take an intro economics class.

When the shell is priced higher than the cost of a netbook or laptop even from Worst Buy. It is Moto that needs the economics class. It is something because of it hooking up to the phone but it is really nothing more than a empty shell of a netbook. So not that new really netbooks have been around years.
$300 at time of purchase for a keyboard 11.6in screen and 2 usb ports is unreasonable. And if you choose to not buy it with the phone even more so going up to $500.

rockerjockey

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I was really looking forward to all the functionality of this phone with the docks, it was looking very cool and something that i definitely would have used were it 100 or less..... still want the phone tho :)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
When the shell is priced higher than the cost of a netbook or laptop even from Worst Buy. It is Moto that needs the economics class. It is something because of it hooking up to the phone but it is really nothing more than a empty shell of a netbook. So not that new really netbooks have been around years.
$300 at time of purchase for a keyboard 11.6in screen and 2 usb ports is unreasonable. And if you choose to not buy it with the phone even more so going up to $500.

I can guarantee you the decision to price it this way was AT&T's. After the bootloader debacle, and their recent troubles, I would bet money Motorola would have priced it as low as they could to get a win with consumers.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
They are now forcing you to subscribe to the tethering plan (add $20 more per month) in order to use the dock.

Yeah, I'm reconsidering this after all.

What? A tethering plan for the dock? That's nickle and dime BS. This kind of nickle and dime crap (no longer having unlimited data) is one of the reasons why I left AT&T and would never go back to them. No Atrix in my future. Already have a fully ruggedized laptop that cost as much as the doc used and is fully functional without my phone.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
They could have tried to price this one of two ways as I see it. What everyone here was hoping, is that they would go for a low, penetration pricing. Sell this one cheap, tons of people buy it, and it builds the base for an awesome new form factor. Personally, I think they would have made a lot more money doing this an focusing on compatibility with many phones down the line.

Instead, they are being greedy and trying to milk every quick buck out of it they can. They took what could have been an awesome model, and threw it under the bus by marking it up well above cost. Sure they will probably make a bit more money in the first few months, but, long term, this tech just isn't going to survive.

Greed may be good for the greedy, but a pointless empty shell that only works with the phone? Who's going to buy this later for $500 when you can get a full fledge laptop for that price that doesn't require your phone? Maybe the idle rich who think the price of this doc is a good deal, should take an economics course. You and the bankers will think this is cool at first, until you realize that you and overpaid execs are the only ones buying this useless POS.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
This is where carrier and manufacturer lockdown really has a cost. Off-contract price for the Atrix and dock is around $1000, but it's not like buying a laptop - you can't upgrade the software at will, and when AT&T decides the phone's at end of life, all that money is down the drain. What's the chance that any other phone will be compatible with this dock? Probably about the same as the chance that someone will make a new phone that fits the Nexus One docks.

Since the G1, carriers have a history of euthanizing their Android phones in 12-18 months. Are you ready to throw your $1000 laptop away a year and a half after you buy it brand new? I didn't think so.

Nobody who does the most basic analysis is going to buy this dock.

Those who have more money than sense, will buy this dock and complain that anyone who wouldn't or can't afford it is "cheap", "uninformed", or "doesn't get it". The points above are the most valid points I've heard yet. At end of life of the phone, what happens to that investment in the tech? You ebay it and buy whatever the latest thing is, right? See if you can get anything close to what you paid for it. Good luck with that. Waste of money, as stated.

Reactions: Jonneh

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there will be a 3rd party dock that will be way cheaper.

Im sure there will be after the phone comes out, give it time. There will be others and I'm sure this price won't hold. Its to high.

I'm still considering the phone though, but will wait until after the first run comes out to see feed back or any issues that may arise. I won't buy this laptop dock regardless of price because I have a laptop.

Reactions: ftonyp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt