My Email to AT&T re:Atrix / Android

PhiUnion

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is probably where I'm going. If I go back into a smartphone, I want nothing to do with AT&T. Their service is horrible where I live (Philly, one of the biggest cities in the country) and I tend to use a lot of data on my iPod through e-mail and other apps. I'll probably end up sending them an e-mail as well.

EJL1980

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My att store said the Tethering plan will be $45, and have a 4GB cap. It also includes using the phone as a wifi hotspot. That isn't perfect but better than I was expecting.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Switch to sprint, UNLIMITED data for a cheaper price.

If you dont get a bucket response, ill be more suprised than tom cruise jumping on oprahs couches. Just sayin.

AND btw, if you do get this phone. Root it and tether it for free, dont let AT&T rape you like that, its rediculous. Especially now that the major tax on their network (iP4) will be lifted with the verizon iphone announcement.

Shad0w26

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What you should do is post on the FaceBook AT&T website and have a chat with them on their. They usually tell you to email personally (like their personal AT&T mailbox) them if you post like "I'm very upset with blahblah.."

Reactions: jess.hickey

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What you should do is post on the FaceBook AT&T website and have a chat with them on their. They usually tell you to email personally (like their personal AT&T mailbox) them if you post like "I'm very upset with blahblah.."
I posted on their website and they ignored it. Others have posted complaining about the tethering charge. ATT response was "we will let someone know" or they say the phone price is comparable to other smartphones.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

So I went ahead and posted on their FaceBook page as I still have not heard from anyone regarding the email sent earlier this morning.

We'll see what happens. If nothing else maybe it will at least open a few more eyes to what AT&T is trying to do.:mad:

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So I went ahead and posted on their FaceBook page as I still have not heard from anyone regarding the email sent earlier this morning.

We'll see what happens. If nothing else maybe it will at least open a few more eyes to what AT&T is trying to do.:mad:

And what Motorola is allowing them to do. This along with the eFuse fiasco, it looks like HTC will become the go-to place for high end phones.

cman6453

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been a customer since Pac Bell Cellular...yes, PAC-FRICKIN'-BELL. I don't even remember how long ago that was. And, yes, I've tried to change to all the carriers except T-Mobile AND, yes, I've at least had experience with ALL of them. I always end up back at AT&T with, really, no issues even with customer service. But this, this REALLY gets to me for some reason. Not sure if it's the consumer in me or what...but it seriously IRKS me. I am seriously considering other options, ETF be damned.

Good luck jess!!

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Here is something I just posted on AT&Ts FaceBook page:

I own a phone that I purchased independently of ATT but use on their service. I pay them a significant amount of money each month for the service they provide on MY phone (and with this I have no issue). Android offers applications in a market that ATT will not allow me access to because they think it is inappropriate for me to use on MY phone. I pay for unlimited data (capped at 5 GB a month) and I should be able to use said data in whatever capacity I see fit as I have paid for it. What difference does it make if I use the data kb per session or mb per session?

The issue that has arisen now is with the Atrix. For all intents and purposes, the phone is a computer. It is the driving force behind the dock. The dock, to the best of my knowledge, contains no computing functions. It is a screen and a keyboard. If I did not have the ability to see web pages or my email on the phone (i.e. it was a modem/router) and I had to connect it to the dock to see the data I again would have no issue. This however is not the case here. If I connected my Motorola Razr to my computer and used it to view apple.com or weather.gov then yes, charge a tethering fee...I am using the service outside of the scope of which it was designed. This phone, and many others, were designed to make calls and view data...and they make money on this fact by saying other networks do not allow you to do it. It should not matter on what format I view the data.

ATT also fills their phones with "bloatware" which the consumer is unable to remove by normal means. This is the case if you buy a supplemented phone from ATT or if you buy the phone outright from the manufacturer. So with this, in conjunction with their blocking of applications and prevention of "side loading" applications, they are dictating what the owner can and can not do with a phone what is the his/hers.

Imagine if you went to your auto dealer and purchased a new car and the dealer said "O.K. you may go to [big box store] and purchase after market radio a or c but not radio b. (even though b works fine in your car and every other car on the market) And we know your car can do 110 mph but do not go over 55 (even though the speed limit in your area is 65) or we are going to add an additional fee to your next months payment. Oh and one last thing Mr. Customer, even though your car is designed to carry three passengers we are only going to allow you to carry two. If you decide to carry three we are going to charge you an additional fee on next months payment." Are you going to purchase from this store or are you going to go down the road to the other dealership? How long do you think auto dealer number one would stay in business if the word got out that this was their business practice?

Reactions: Nchaka

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably send them something next week. I walked away from att tonight, and it never felt so good. We were close enough to the end of our contract that the ETF was under $100 (we were on contract from before they raised the ETF).
On top of that, I'm loving the android experience (all 2 hours of it so far!)

arwaldon4

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Here is something I just posted on AT&Ts FaceBook page:

I own a phone that I purchased independently of ATT but use on their service. I pay them a significant amount of money each month for the service they provide on MY phone (and with this I have no issue). Android offers applications in a market that ATT will not allow me access to because they think it is inappropriate for me to use on MY phone. I pay for unlimited data (capped at 5 GB a month) and I should be able to use said data in whatever capacity I see fit as I have paid for it. What difference does it make if I use the data kb per session or mb per session?

The issue that has arisen now is with the Atrix. For all intents and purposes, the phone is a computer. It is the driving force behind the dock. The dock, to the best of my knowledge, contains no computing functions. It is a screen and a keyboard. If I did not have the ability to see web pages or my email on the phone (i.e. it was a modem/router) and I had to connect it to the dock to see the data I again would have no issue. This however is not the case here. If I connected my Motorola Razr to my computer and used it to view apple.com or weather.gov then yes, charge a tethering fee...I am using the service outside of the scope of which it was designed. This phone, and many others, were designed to make calls and view data...and they make money on this fact by saying other networks do not allow you to do it. It should not matter on what format I view the data.

ATT also fills their phones with "bloatware" which the consumer is unable to remove by normal means. This is the case if you buy a supplemented phone from ATT or if you buy the phone outright from the manufacturer. So with this, in conjunction with their blocking of applications and prevention of "side loading" applications, they are dictating what the owner can and can not do with a phone what is the his/hers.

Imagine if you went to your auto dealer and purchased a new car and the dealer said "O.K. you may go to [big box store] and purchase after market radio a or c but not radio b. (even though b works fine in your car and every other car on the market) And we know your car can do 110 mph but do not go over 55 (even though the speed limit in your area is 65) or we are going to add an additional fee to your next months payment. Oh and one last thing Mr. Customer, even though your car is designed to carry three passengers we are only going to allow you to carry two. If you decide to carry three we are going to charge you an additional fee on next months payment." Are you going to purchase from this store or are you going to go down the road to the other dealership? How long do you think auto dealer number one would stay in business if the word got out that this was their business practice?

this is awesome! Hope you get a good response!!

Reactions: jess.hickey

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah see I will never understand the pricing on wireless services...

Modern cell phones transmit voice calls as digital data these days, right? so then why isn't that part of our data package?

They also provide text messaging service. Guess what? It uses the carrier signal that is ALWAYS ON and costs them next to NOTHING to deliver it. Granted mms messages are slightly different because they are... oh yeah DATA.

Then we have companies that realize this and are treating their communications services as one entity and charging a flat rate. They do charge for premium / extra services but that is completely understandable.

yeah I really want to stay with ma bell, but it's hard. Real hard.

BTW did any1 notice that AT&T and tmo have a tendency to place their 3G coverage almost entirely next to major roadways and metropolitan areas?

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I did end up making several comments on AT&T's Facebook discussion board. The good news is that I'm not alone. There were so many people saying exactly what we've voiced here on this forum. I'm curious if AT&T is going to reconsider pricing or if they'll be stubborn and arrogant and keep it like it is.

I know that nothing will come of the locked bootloader. Locking down phones is what Verizon used to be known for and now AT&T has decided to do.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably send them something next week. I walked away from att tonight, and it never felt so good. We were close enough to the end of our contract that the ETF was under $100 (we were on contract from before they raised the ETF).

Congrats on getting your new phone! After this debacle with the Atrix, I'm getting the Inspire. One year left on the contract and I might be saying bye bye to AT&T as well.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Why did you go with the mesmerize instead of the captivate?

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah depending on sprints announcement during their upcoming event i might end up switching my line since my contract is up in july i think. The atrix was the one keeping me onto AT&T now honestly no real reason to stay. Im disappointed at the pricing they have done with the docks.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on getting your new phone! After this debacle with the Atrix, I'm getting the Inspire. One year left on the contract and I might be saying bye bye to AT&T as well.

Thanks! I'm enjoying it immensely.I've come to realize that I don't need the latest and greatest phone.this does exactly what I need it to at a very affordable price with a plan that is way cheaper than att but with more perks.
It felt good to call their bluff and walk away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc