Atrix vs Thunderbolt

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
about the WIFI hotspot question...

AT&T is going to be changing its tethering policy as of feb 13th and the $25 2GB plan will stay the same but the $45 2GB with tethering will now be $45 4GB tethering plan. Existing customers will receive a text that they have automatically been given the additional 2GB of usage.

A lot of negativity has been surrounding at&t's decision to require "tethering" on an accessory that is technically just an external screen and keyboard using the phones software and hardware to do all the work. And I partly agree with the fact that we (atrix hopefuls) just want to do what we want with our phones and not have the company charge us for using the phones native abilities.

Now consider this bit... AT&T will give you 4GB of 4G speeds for $45 dollars and any additional usage will be 1GB for $10 so its not CAPPED or THROTTLED.

Verizon on the other hand has dropped their $15 dollar data plan just before the VZW iphone launch to say "we still offer unlimited" but we all can see that its a ploy to get 3 million new customers to pay 30 instead of 15 $$$$$. and that "unlimited" plan is actually CAPPED at 5GB and subject to discontinued service. Also when you go over 2GB they will THROTTLE your speeds down to a slower speed for the remainder of your current bill cycle and most likely the next bill cycle. OHHH yeah and about their ability to do WIFI hotspot will cost you $20 more dollars so you will be getting 5GB for $50 and those last 3GB will be limited speeds.

NOW does AT&T still seem like the ones ruining the end user experiance?

Lets also remember that you CAN buy the webtop dock and multimedia dock and use them with the $30 and $25 data plans with them you just have to use wifi to use the webtop mode. for me that's fine cuz i just want a tablet like alternative for the home not so much out on the go.

sorry for the novel just had a lot of information to share

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
about the WIFI hotspot question...

AT&T is going to be changing its tethering policy as of feb 13th and the $25 2GB plan will stay the same but the $45 2GB with tethering will now be $45 4GB tethering plan. Existing customers will receive a text that they have automatically been given the additional 2GB of usage.

A lot of negativity has been surrounding at&t's decision to require "tethering" on an accessory that is technically just an external screen and keyboard using the phones software and hardware to do all the work. And I partly agree with the fact that we (atrix hopefuls) just want to do what we want with our phones and not have the company charge us for using the phones native abilities.

Now consider this bit... AT&T will give you 4GB of 4G speeds for $45 dollars and any additional usage will be 1GB for $10 so its not CAPPED or THROTTLED.

Verizon on the other hand has dropped their $15 dollar data plan just before the VZW iphone launch to say "we still offer unlimited" but we all can see that its a ploy to get 3 million new customers to pay 30 instead of 15 $$$$$. and that "unlimited" plan is actually CAPPED at 5GB and subject to discontinued service. Also when you go over 2GB they will THROTTLE your speeds down to a slower speed for the remainder of your current bill cycle and most likely the next bill cycle. OHHH yeah and about their ability to do WIFI hotspot will cost you $20 more dollars so you will be getting 5GB for $50 and those last 3GB will be limited speeds.

Props to AT&T for not throttling us! I still think $45 is a lot though, i would like to know if root/rom would allow me to keep my unlimited plan @ $30 and have the laptop dock. Until that happens (if it ever does) i will not buy the laptop dock.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
you didn't hear it from me but a birdie told me that the same root blocker in the atrix is the same as the Droid x and it only took devs like 2 weeks to crack it and root it so i think it can be done.

crea78

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
you didn't hear it from me but a birdie told me that the same root blocker in the atrix is the same as the Droid x and it only took devs like 2 weeks to crack it and root it so i think it can be done.

I hope you are right as well. I would initially use Visionary for a temp root to get rid of the bloatware at first and later on do a permanent root if possible.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Props to AT&T for not throttling us! I still think $45 is a lot though, i would like to know if root/rom would allow me to keep my unlimited plan @ $30 and have the laptop dock. Until that happens (if it ever does) i will not buy the laptop dock.

The only problem with the novel is that it isn't completely true.

The VZW "cap" (it's not a hard cap) is only on tethering, not on smartphone data. The $30 unlimited smartphone data plan is still exactly that. They may be rolling out new plans but anyone on the current plans is fine.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the info Ryan! I just hope that the fact you work for AT&T doesnt make you a little biased ;)

My thoughts exactly. While informative - his post could almost read like a public relations release from the Death Star as they are probably trying to figure out how to counteract all the negative press they are getting in these countless forums and on facebook.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that tidbit. That's reassuring.

What about the bootloader? Same mechanism as the Droid X?

I hope not. :(

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a coworker who use to work for verizon and hes been in contact with his old buddies teasing them about the verizon iphone launch and how little they will get paid on it and so he has been getting some of this information from them but we also confirm it through websites that are not biased like:
Cnet.com
phonescoop.com
mobiledia.com
phonearena

so I've been a customer for 10 years but only an employee for 3. It wouldn't make sense for me to be a loyal customer for at&t and go work for another company. customers always ask "what phone do you use?" ...uh oh i have an AT&T _______ haha.

but anyway like I said I'm AGAINST at&t's decisions with the tethering being required on a shell accessory. And I work for an authorized retailer so I dont receive a dime of pay from "AT&T Mobility" the company. I have a $30 unl plan and i plan on keeping it forever because of technology like this that is always getting better. that said I track my data usuage pretty regularly with *DATA# send or *3282# send and I've never used more than 1GB in a month and I use pdanet everyonce in awhile and am on the internet probably 4 hours a day on my phone at work, kinda a perk of the job getting to be on my phone and not get in trouble. So that's my other problem with all the complaints about the 2GB and 4GB options. 98% of at&t smartphone customers have NEVER gone over 2GB and 60% of them have never gone over 200MB even so at&t's approach makes sense. Verizon offered the $15 150MB option for 3 months to stay with the industry but them "temporarily" took away that option at the end of January. And now there are thousands of potential ship jumpers that are rethinking because they have 4 lines on their account all with the $15 data plan that would be doubled if they switch.

Every carrier has publicly announced that they will be going to a tiered data plan like at&t its just a matter of when. Some carriers are tossing around the idea of making it more like home DSL and charge more for speeds once its all an LTE network.

Just here to be informative to help you guys out in your decisions. Just dont follow the mob mentality of the Deathstar is screwing their customers and actually do some research and see if they really are of if they are just moving in the industry ahead of others. There's a lot of "tech" guys who hate not having unlimited for 30 but there are probably 3-4 times more people sending thank you letters to at&t for letting them get into the smartphone market without taking out a second mortgage to pay for their family plan with 4 smartphones on it.

And Sprint and Verizon have both sent letters to high data usuage smartphone owners warning them that if they dont lower their monthly data usuage they will be subject to their line of service being terminated. It's the top 5% of those customers. And that guy was right its a soft cap which means there is not auto cutoff during the month for data usuage but "subject to termination" at&t only had that on their laptop aircard back in the day. Now they just give you a GIG for $10 if you go over.

I challenge all you smartphone users to check your data usage with *3282# send on at&t and im not sure about the other companys but find out and if you've never done it you'll be surprised. every customer I've dealt with in store has been shocked when they swear up and down they've never used LESS than 3GB's and I pull up their last three bills and they average 300-500MB and haven't even seen a GB of usuage then they start backpeddling saying well i was out of town and uhh.... oh your data doesn't work outside your hometown? oh that's right it does. and you weren't out of town for three months obviously looking at your call history.

anyway Thanks for reading and ask me anything you want if its too "insider" i may just PM you.

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a coworker who use to work for verizon and hes been in contact with his old buddies teasing them about the verizon iphone launch and how little they will get paid on it and so he has been getting some of this information from them but we also confirm it through websites that are not biased like:
Cnet.com
phonescoop.com
mobiledia.com
phonearena

so I've been a customer for 10 years but only an employee for 3. It wouldn't make sense for me to be a loyal customer for at&t and go work for another company. customers always ask "what phone do you use?" ...uh oh i have an AT&T _______ haha.

but anyway like I said I'm AGAINST at&t's decisions with the tethering being required on a shell accessory. And I work for an authorized retailer so I dont receive a dime of pay from "AT&T Mobility" the company. I have a $30 unl plan and i plan on keeping it forever because of technology like this that is always getting better. that said I track my data usuage pretty regularly with *DATA# send or *3282# send and I've never used more than 1GB in a month and I use pdanet everyonce in awhile and am on the internet probably 4 hours a day on my phone at work, kinda a perk of the job getting to be on my phone and not get in trouble. So that's my other problem with all the complaints about the 2GB and 4GB options. 98% of at&t smartphone customers have NEVER gone over 2GB and 60% of them have never gone over 200MB even so at&t's approach makes sense. Verizon offered the $15 150MB option for 3 months to stay with the industry but them "temporarily" took away that option at the end of January. And now there are thousands of potential ship jumpers that are rethinking because they have 4 lines on their account all with the $15 data plan that would be doubled if they switch.

Every carrier has publicly announced that they will be going to a tiered data plan like at&t its just a matter of when. Some carriers are tossing around the idea of making it more like home DSL and charge more for speeds once its all an LTE network.

Just here to be informative to help you guys out in your decisions. Just dont follow the mob mentality of the Deathstar is screwing their customers and actually do some research and see if they really are of if they are just moving in the industry ahead of others. There's a lot of "tech" guys who hate not having unlimited for 30 but there are probably 3-4 times more people sending thank you letters to at&t for letting them get into the smartphone market without taking out a second mortgage to pay for their family plan with 4 smartphones on it.

And Sprint and Verizon have both sent letters to high data usuage smartphone owners warning them that if they dont lower their monthly data usuage they will be subject to their line of service being terminated. It's the top 5% of those customers. And that guy was right its a soft cap which means there is not auto cutoff during the month for data usuage but "subject to termination" at&t only had that on their laptop aircard back in the day. Now they just give you a GIG for $10 if you go over.

I challenge all you smartphone users to check your data usage with *3282# send on at&t and im not sure about the other companys but find out and if you've never done it you'll be surprised. every customer I've dealt with in store has been shocked when they swear up and down they've never used LESS than 3GB's and I pull up their last three bills and they average 300-500MB and haven't even seen a GB of usuage then they start backpeddling saying well i was out of town and uhh.... oh your data doesn't work outside your hometown? oh that's right it does. and you weren't out of town for three months obviously looking at your call history.

anyway Thanks for reading and ask me anything you want if its too "insider" i may just PM you.

get me an antrix for employee discount.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Cnet.com
phonescoop.com
mobiledia.com
phonearena

Will AT&T offer a better deal for their premier customers. Im under an employee contract. Also is here a way to get it wit a 1 yr contract?

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So how long do you guys think it will take to see a significant price drop on the lapdock?

I am hoping that Amazon offers it for a significant discount within a month of it going on sale. I will not be preordering the laptop dock - just too expensive for what it is. But I am still going to get the phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante