03-01-2011 09:49 PM
96 1234
tools
    Hyperthreading is an intel marketing term for simultaneous multithreading (SMT, not to be confused with SMP or simultaneous multiprocessing). It allows each pipeline to be issued 2 threads simultaneously so that they can alternate whenever one thread would halt after an expensive operation (typically an I/O operation, like LOAD or STORE). On a typical pipeline, this would stall and waste valuable clock cycles. On an SMT core, it would quickly allow the other thread instructions to continue executing.

ARM cores do not have SMT (that includes the Tegra).
    my bad thnx for clarifying
    02-10-2011 01:46 PM
    updated first post with Bloomberg's vid "review".
    02-10-2011 09:18 PM
    updated first post with Bloomberg's vid "review".
    He sounds like he's reviewing it for child audiences...
    02-10-2011 10:04 PM
    You may be mistaking for the dedicated task processors. There are things such as a dedicated camera processor, a flash acceleration chip, etc on the Tegra 2 (and other SoC's), but they aren't full on cores or "sub" cores. They are separate chips that do one task and one task only. For example, you can't play a game of the camera chip.
    Yeah I'm no tech, and I dont think the Motorola guy who was doing the training was a tech either but that was how he explained it in simple terms. I dont know about half the stuff you guys have been explaining over the last few posts, but I do know the Atrix is FAST!!
    02-10-2011 10:12 PM
    Yeah I'm no tech, and I dont think the Motorola guy who was doing the training was a tech either but that was how he explained it in simple terms. I dont know about half the stuff you guys have been explaining over the last few posts, but I do know the Atrix is FAST!!
    You're right. Once we replace Quadrant with an SMP-aware, multithreaded benchmark, we'll realize how truly awesome the processor is compared to current phones.
    02-10-2011 10:28 PM
    You're right. Once we replace Quadrant with an SMP-aware, multithreaded benchmark, we'll realize how truly awesome the processor is compared to current phones.
    Even if it only utilized one core in quadrant, Tegra 2 still outperforms almost anything given that it is A9 based.
    02-11-2011 01:03 AM
    mar 6th as of now and preorder this sunday the 13th
    The official statement was "March 6th or earlier" so I suspect that the phone may ship early just like Apple/Verizon did on the iPhone this past week. So...there is a chance that if you order it on Sunday that you will get it in the mail the week prior to the 6th.

I am hoping that is true.
    02-11-2011 09:27 AM
    He sounds like he's reviewing it for child audiences...
    The old people that make up the majority of Bloomberg's viewership appreciate that.
    02-11-2011 09:37 AM
    Don't think this is a duplicate.(?) Just trying to help!

Motorola Atrix 4G is hot as a phone - USATODAY.com
    02-11-2011 09:48 AM
    I dont know if anyone has seen this info or read about it but the moto guy said when tested with quadrant it almosted doubled the performance of the nexus s. and tripled in some areas. it may be moto hype but I dont know if anyone has real numbers on that test to share?
    02-11-2011 10:38 AM
    02-11-2011 03:09 PM
    Updated with 3 more.

The anandtech one is probably one of the most comprehensive ones so far. Has a whole section on Motorola Phone Portal.
    Mobileburn has 2 whole vids up on it.
    02-13-2011 08:58 AM
    Yes! Glad to see the reviews. Can't wait to get this phone in my hands.
    02-13-2011 04:45 PM
    Anand is always a great read.
    02-13-2011 05:30 PM
    When is android centrals review going to be up? It would certainly help those of us who are deciding if they should preorder.

How is camcorder quality. Seems to be similar to Droid x in almost every way except better
    02-13-2011 06:02 PM
    I don't like how a lot of the reviews are focusing on the accessories as if they are the only thing to it. I understand you want.a comprehensive coverage but I just want to know about the phone. Anandtech review was really good though.
    mikefish96 likes this.
    02-13-2011 06:06 PM
    The AT&T store here had the laptop dock, the keyboard was awful. Not really worried about the accessories, only care about the phone and maybe a car dock.
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-13-2011 07:04 PM
    Thanks for all the review links. I have pre-ordered the phone.
    So far, all of them seem to like the phone but almost everyone is complaining about following:
    1. Quality of pictures taken using Atrix's camera are mediocre to poor
    2. ATT's "4G" is actually clocking 3G like speeds. Read in one of the reviews that Iphone is getting better download speeds on the same network. How is that possible?
    3. qHD screen is just OK (not brilliant): I think I can live with that
    4. Laptop dock is not quite there yet. Needs more work (Doesn't worry me, I don't have extra $300)

2) is the one which worries me the most
    02-14-2011 02:18 AM
    Thanks for all the review links. I have pre-ordered the phone.
    So far, all of them seem to like the phone but almost everyone is complaining about following:
    1. Quality of pictures taken using Atrix's camera are mediocre to poor
    2. ATT's "4G" is actually clocking 3G like speeds. Read in one of the reviews that Iphone is getting better download speeds on the same network. How is that possible?
    3. qHD screen is just OK (not brilliant): I think I can live with that
    4. Laptop dock is not quite there yet. Needs more work (Doesn't worry me, I don't have extra $300)

2) is the one which worries me the most
    Here's what I think. Moto makes high quality cameras as the Droid X can attest to. So I think this will be the same.

As for AT&T speed tests. AT&T doesn't have the backhaul yet in almost all areas in order to claim 4G speeds. That will come this year. So while you have a 4G phone, you still aren't getting those speeds until AT&T adds the backhaul. Also, I chalk different speeds than iPhone up to the fact that the reviewers are probably using two different speed test apps. That can definitely vary.

The screen is something I can't judge until I see in person. As for the docks, I was never going to buy those so that's irrelevant to me.
    02-14-2011 06:59 AM
    I don't like how a lot of the reviews are focusing on the accessories as if they are the only thing to it. I understand you want.a comprehensive coverage but I just want to know about the phone. Anandtech review was really good though.
    Agreed. I am hoping that the Engadget review gives proper time to the phone itself. That said - I ordered the phone, vehicle dock, standard dock and the laptop dock.
    02-14-2011 07:43 AM
    The store I pre-ordered at had a laptop dock, but unfortunately no phone to demo it with. The quality looked good, and the keys were decent enough to do some serious typing- I can see the value if you need to use Google docs on the go. I couldn't tell the quality of the screen since there was no Atrix available (why send the docks to stores but not the phone itself? weird...), but it didn't look glossy, and I like that (I hate this recent trend of highly-reflective laptop screens).

If I could pick one of these up for $200 or less without adding tethering, I certainly would.
    02-14-2011 08:24 AM
    If I could pick one of these up for $200 or less without adding tethering, I certainly would.
    +1 I would totally pick one up for 200 bucks.
    02-14-2011 09:26 AM
    Well, the most awaited Engadget review has been added to the initial post. Enjoy
    02-14-2011 05:10 PM
    About time!
    02-14-2011 05:11 PM
    Isn't Engadget the same folks who lament about the SMS bug, the Browser exploit, the USB HID exploit, and every other bug in Android they can find?

Then they turn around and recommend a phone with an old version of the OS that has all these issues.

So which is wrong? Were all their hit pieces about how dangerous and buggy Android 2.2 is just FUD?
    02-14-2011 05:24 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD