Atrix Reviews are Coming In!

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That's the way I understood it too. The reviews kept talking about dual core this and that, but it was my understanding that the OS isn't optimized for dual core. That would prevent apps from making use of the second core.

I'm also curious about the front-facing camera. It was my understanding that Froyo can't make use of that camera, but then I read that the app Qik can? So I'm confused, can we use the front-facing camera or not?

why wouldnt it use the ffc? the evo does and works fine my nexus s is on gingerbread and the ffc isnt an issue. it works np with qik, skype and fring should work too.but yea hopefully the 2.4 update come soon then the full dual cores will be used. plus i dont think froyo can use the full 1gb of ram either but i might be mistaken.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm also curious about the front-facing camera. It was my understanding that Froyo can't make use of that camera, but then I read that the app Qik can? So I'm confused, can we use the front-facing camera or not?

The newer software "makes video chat better" but you should be fine on old froyo.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
In those dual cores there are 8 sub cores (i dont even know what that means) but those sub cores are dedicated to a task so internet, games, apps, email are each given a sub core to process that task which makes them all run faster rather than all processes sharing one core and slowing them all down. now the subcores do still share resources if needed but that's what I was trained on. and I believe any android os can take advantage of more processing power and RAM cuz it just means more programs and apps can stay in a sleeping state ready to be re-launched where as if resourses run low than android automatically closes some of them. on a high end device that will not happen as often which means your apps will start or restart faster and everything will run smoother.

But also cant wait for 2.4

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
In those dual cores there are 8 sub cores (i dont even know what that means) but those sub cores are dedicated to a task so internet, games, apps, email are each given a sub core to process that task which makes them all run faster rather than all processes sharing one core and slowing them all down.

i haven't head anything saying that about tegra but i think what you are talking about is multi threading.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
. and I believe any android os can take advantage of more processing power and RAM cuz it just means more programs and apps can stay in a sleeping state ready to be re-launched where as if resourses run low than android automatically closes some of them. on a high end device that will not happen as often which means your apps will start or restart faster and everything will run smoother.

actually they can't because some of the devices like the captivate and other devices on eclair could only utilize up i think 384mb froyo bumped it to 512 i think i am unsure of froyo's cap as the inspire has 750mb (or soemthign liek that) but i think that it cannot use the full 750 or so. But again i may be mistaken but i thought this is what i read.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
yea thats sounds like hyperthreading which i do not know if the tegra will be capable of
Hyperthreading is an intel marketing term for simultaneous multithreading (SMT, not to be confused with SMP or simultaneous multiprocessing). It allows each pipeline to be issued 2 threads simultaneously so that they can alternate whenever one thread would halt after an expensive operation (typically an I/O operation, like LOAD or STORE). On a typical pipeline, this would stall and waste valuable clock cycles. On an SMT core, it would quickly allow the other thread instructions to continue executing.

ARM cores do not have SMT (that includes the Tegra).

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In those dual cores there are 8 sub cores (i dont even know what that means) but those sub cores are dedicated to a task so internet, games, apps, email are each given a sub core to process that task which makes them all run faster rather than all processes sharing one core and slowing them all down. now the subcores do still share resources if needed but that's what I was trained on. and I believe any android os can take advantage of more processing power and RAM cuz it just means more programs and apps can stay in a sleeping state ready to be re-launched where as if resourses run low than android automatically closes some of them. on a high end device that will not happen as often which means your apps will start or restart faster and everything will run smoother.

You may be mistaking for the dedicated task processors. There are things such as a dedicated camera processor, a flash acceleration chip, etc on the Tegra 2 (and other SoC's), but they aren't full on cores or "sub" cores. They are separate chips that do one task and one task only. For example, you can't play a game of the camera chip.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hyperthreading is an intel marketing term for simultaneous multithreading (SMT, not to be confused with SMP or simultaneous multiprocessing). It allows each pipeline to be issued 2 threads simultaneously so that they can alternate whenever one thread would halt after an expensive operation (typically an I/O operation, like LOAD or STORE). On a typical pipeline, this would stall and waste valuable clock cycles. On an SMT core, it would quickly allow the other thread instructions to continue executing.

ARM cores do not have SMT (that includes the Tegra).

my bad thnx for clarifying

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
You may be mistaking for the dedicated task processors. There are things such as a dedicated camera processor, a flash acceleration chip, etc on the Tegra 2 (and other SoC's), but they aren't full on cores or "sub" cores. They are separate chips that do one task and one task only. For example, you can't play a game of the camera chip.

Yeah I'm no tech, and I dont think the Motorola guy who was doing the training was a tech either but that was how he explained it in simple terms. I dont know about half the stuff you guys have been explaining over the last few posts, but I do know the Atrix is FAST!!

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm no tech, and I dont think the Motorola guy who was doing the training was a tech either but that was how he explained it in simple terms. I dont know about half the stuff you guys have been explaining over the last few posts, but I do know the Atrix is FAST!!
You're right. Once we replace Quadrant with an SMP-aware, multithreaded benchmark, we'll realize how truly awesome the processor is compared to current phones.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You're right. Once we replace Quadrant with an SMP-aware, multithreaded benchmark, we'll realize how truly awesome the processor is compared to current phones.

Even if it only utilized one core in quadrant, Tegra 2 still outperforms almost anything given that it is A9 based.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
mar 6th as of now and preorder this sunday the 13th

The official statement was "March 6th or earlier" so I suspect that the phone may ship early just like Apple/Verizon did on the iPhone this past week. So...there is a chance that if you order it on Sunday that you will get it in the mail the week prior to the 6th.

I am hoping that is true.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont know if anyone has seen this info or read about it but the moto guy said when tested with quadrant it almosted doubled the performance of the nexus s. and tripled in some areas. it may be moto hype but I dont know if anyone has real numbers on that test to share?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12