Atrix 4g - 3g Speeds in Reviews changing your mind?

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm counting down the days to buy this phone but every review talks about how ATT speeds are BS. Is that changing anyones mind? By the time they role out HSPA+ we'll be up to Atrix 4gS.

I'm seriously considering not joining ATT because of this. Can't stand slow speeds. T-Mobile and Verizon seem to be the ones to join at this rate. Hope they announce a better phone this coming week!

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The way at&t has built their system they already have almost 100% HSPA+ network up and running. They just go through and add "backhaul" support and viola you have 4G speeds.

if you didn't already know this:
2G or Edge = up to like 400 kbps
3G or UMTS = up to 1.5mbps
3.5G or HSPA = up to 3.6mbps
4G or HSPA+ = up to 7.2mbps

and don't get technical about 4g not being 4g cuz i already know that but everyone refers to it as 4g cuz it is our "4th Generation" network

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
and don't get technical about 4g not being 4g cuz i already know that but everyone refers to it as 4g cuz it is our "4th Generation" network

Agreed. Believe it or not a lot of people don't know that the G stands for generation. So while VZW 4g may be faster than ATT 4g, doesn't mean they don't have it. Its like the people that say VZW 3g (EVDO) isn't really 3g because it can't do simultaneous voice and data. EVDO isn't to blame, CDMA is.

firecop781

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question maybe someone can answer for me....

Excuse me for being new, but will the Atrix work on AT&T's LTE network? Or would I be buying a phone that will only work on HSPA+ and be outdated in 6 months?

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Excuse me for being new, but will the Atrix work on AT&T's LTE network? Or would I be buying a phone that will only work on HSPA+ and be outdated in 6 months?

At this point, the majority consensus is that only HSPA+

BUT, do not let this deter you because while At&t's LTE will start rolling out towards the end of 2011, their network won't be FULL LTE until 2012-2013, so your phone will STILL work wonders, and just because LTE network rolls out doesn't mean that it'll be available in your area immediately vs. the HSPA+ backhaul.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

BUT, do not let this deter you because while At&t's LTE will start rolling out towards the end of 2011, their network won't be FULL LTE until 2012-2013, so your phone will STILL work wonders, and just because LTE network rolls out doesn't mean that it'll be available in your area immediately vs. the HSPA+ backhaul.

True. Unless you live in an urban center (ie NYC) dont wait for LTE to come out, just get HSPA+ because it could take a while to be fully rolled out.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

Bob you sure know a lot about at&t stuff for not being an employee :) or are you just learning from all the stuff I've been saying lately, JK. You're definitely a wealth of knowledge thanks!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

It won't be outdated, no.

To put it bluntly, if you're using the network mainly for apps on the phone and surfing on the web, anything above HSPA+ is overkill. LTE will be great for data sticks and transmitting voice signals (which is really why Verizon and others are pursuing it), but for phones it's going to be too much.

So no, buying the Atrix isn't that bad of an idea. As long as AT&T's HSPA+ network is as solid as T-mobile's, you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton