06-13-2011 10:42 PM
50 12
tools
    The Atrix is rooted, but the bootloader is still locked. You can install Custom ROMS... meaning no free wifi tethering . I'll be sticking with my Inspire for a bit.
    I thought all was needed to get tethering was root
    02-19-2011 08:03 PM
    The Atrix is rooted, but the bootloader is still locked. You can install Custom ROMS... meaning no free wifi tethering . I'll be sticking with my Inspire for a bit.
    Rooting allows you to enable tethering, which is built into Froyo. No custom rom needed.
    02-19-2011 08:19 PM
    Rooting allows you to enable tethering, which is built into Froyo. No custom rom needed.
    PDA Net doesn't require rooting but there is a fee after the free trial ends.
    02-19-2011 11:08 PM
    It is. You can just download Barnacle or WiFi tether off the market and you're ready to go.
    02-19-2011 11:16 PM
    PDANet is a ripoff and should only be used if you cannot root. There are plenty of wifi tether apps for free, including the one built directly into Froyo.

Seriously, what's so hard about rooting? You can always unroot.

Besides, rooting has other perks, like allowing you to change system files (to enable HUSPA and sideloading), app backup via Titanium, ROM Manager, bloat removal, and more. The pros to rooting far outweigh the cons.
    dopestar likes this.
    02-20-2011 08:41 AM
    Actually there is no fee for the free version, but you can't go to https sites. (this is the same for the other well known tether app :/)

I don't think its a rip off for people that don't know/want to root their phones.

It is. You can just download Barnacle or WiFi tether off the market and you're ready to go.
    You need ROOT to use Barnacle, which to me is pointless if you have Froyo and up.
    02-20-2011 09:01 AM
    PDANet is a ripoff and should only be used if you cannot root. There are plenty of wifi tether apps for free, including the one built directly into Froyo.

Seriously, what's so hard about rooting? You can always unroot.

Besides, rooting has other perks, like allowing you to change system files (to enable HUSPA and sideloading), app backup via Titanium, ROM Manager, bloat removal, and more. The pros to rooting far outweigh the cons.
    I am going to root on day one, but I can under stand why someone would not want to follow the new instructions:
    1. After installing the drivers, meeting the prerequisites, and downloading CLShortFuse’s Super One Click, proceed to the next step.
    2. Extract the Super One Click package to a folder on your computer
    3. Place your phone into USB Debugging mode
    * Menu >> Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Enable “USB debugging”
    4. Connect the device to your computer via USB cable
    5. Do NOT mount your device’s SD card
    6. Run the Super One Click program
    7. Simply click the “Root” button in Super One Click
    8. Before rebooting, click “Allow Non Market Apps”
    9. Reboot your device
    I think some people that are newer to android would be hesitant to root the atrix because of the many steps necessary (although we both know that it would probably take all of five minutes and "Super One Click" isnt called that for nothing).
    dopestar and cordell507 like this.
    02-20-2011 09:06 AM
    Exactly.

But also, most people won't really need/access the benefits of rooting and so can just go by with stock and a tethering app.

I plan to enjoy stock until I don't then I'll root it. I don't need wifi hotspots currently and don't care for any custom roms until 2.4 (only if moto doesn't upgrade it in reasonable time).
    02-20-2011 10:26 AM
    can we enable sudo? wouldnt that solve a hell of a lot of these concerns?
    02-20-2011 10:43 AM
    I would be interested in some more info on doing these things too - does the Atrix not have HUSPA enabled? I know the Inspire doesn't...
    02-20-2011 10:45 AM
    Motorola Atrix 4G HOW TO Root instructions:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/atri...-atrix-4g.html

Full instructions from here:
    Motorola Atrix 4G Rooted - BriefMobile
    Rooting on MACs still on TBD???
    02-20-2011 10:55 AM
    I would be interested in some more info on doing these things too - does the Atrix not have HUSPA enabled? I know the Inspire doesn't...
    Someone with experince,

Please outline how do do the following functions via root:

-Enable HSUPA
    -Enable WiFi Tethering
    -Ect
    02-20-2011 10:58 AM
    To activate Tethering:

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank
    cordell507 likes this.
    02-20-2011 11:07 AM
    I am going to root on day one, but I can under stand why someone would not want to follow the new instructions:

I think some people that are newer to android would be hesitant to root the atrix because of the many steps necessary (although we both know that it would probably take all of five minutes and "Super One Click" isnt called that for nothing).
    where is the love for the MAC users? a blackra1n/greenpo1son version for androids would be awesome
    02-20-2011 11:08 AM
    I think it's assumed all Mac users have iPhones
    02-20-2011 11:09 AM
    I think it's assumed all Mac users have iPhones
    lol no i mean i was a user at one point but iOS was way to basic for me.. gave it to my sister who is less tech savy
    02-20-2011 11:19 AM
    To activate Tethering:

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank
    ...and that will enable hsupa?
    02-20-2011 11:49 AM
    ...and that will enable hsupa?
    Just tethering it seems - I'm very interesting in learning how to enable HSUPA (if it's not enabled on the Atrix, which is absolutely ridiculous - these "4G" phones are really pushing the labeling in my opinion).

Actually, I think it's time for some governing body to step in on the whole 3G/4G/HSPA+/LTE/WiMax thing and set some ground rules.

I've read that based on actual, real world technology and according to the ITU, "true" 4G networks won't even be technologically possible for several years.

At least LTE is considerably faster than HSPA+ and WiMax which are barely a stones throw faster than current 3G speeds.

Someone needs to draw a line in the sand here: HSPA+ and WiMax should only be called 3G+, at best - and maybe we can go with 4G on LTE technology only.

I really wish the Atrix supported LTE - then I won't feel it'll be obsolete in 1 year instead of 2.... anyone else concerned about that?
    02-20-2011 12:10 PM
    Actually there is no fee for the free version, but you can't go to https sites. (this is the same for the other well known tether app :/)

I don't think its a rip off for people that don't know/want to root their phones.

You need ROOT to use Barnacle, which to me is pointless if you have Froyo and up.
    Well, yea. I forgot to checkmark the post I was replying to, but I was pointing out to someone that root was all you needed to achieve WiFi tether. The reason you want to use this over the Froyo installed tether is because I was under the impression that using it incurred the carrier mandated tethering charge.

That has always been the primary draw of market tether applications. If this is no longer the case, then I stand corrected.
    02-20-2011 01:17 PM
    Just tethering it seems - I'm very interesting in learning how to enable HSUPA (if it's not enabled on the Atrix, which is absolutely ridiculous - these "4G" phones are really pushing the labeling in my opinion).
    So then once you root how do you enable HSUPA?
    02-20-2011 05:09 PM

The thing is the # of steps is irrelevant...in reality you're only doing doing 3 things: installing drivers on the computer (one-click install), preparing the phone (one button), then clicking "Root". The entire process, including reboot, takes about 2 minutes.
    02-21-2011 12:14 AM

video step by step.
    SirGeorgeKillian likes this.
    02-21-2011 09:13 AM
    Having some problems with the root. I followed the video to the "T", set it to debugging mode, have Motorola Phone Portal selected under USB connection. Then when I get to SuperOneCLick and hit either Shell Root or Root, the program tells me daemon not running starting it now on port 5307 -- daemon started successfully.

Then it says waiting for device and nothing happens and the program just hangs up. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I know what happened, Motorola didn't install the drivers at first. For some reason SuperOneClick quits responding even with the device drivers installed??
    02-21-2011 05:57 PM
    Okay...I just "rooted"...the Atrix STILL tells me it won't let me install 3rd party apps because of "security risks". What now?
    06-13-2011 06:49 PM
    Get SuperOneClick and select the option to Allow Non-Market Apps. I used version 1.7 on my phone.
    06-13-2011 10:42 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD