Fingerprint scanner

BBQ1

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
just got the atrix and the fingerprint is not working at all. Trying to enroll it and its not registering anything, not even one time. Anyone else have issues. I have tried every finger every which way at different speeds and nothing ever registers.

dickr947

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I find that I have to make sure I swipe exactly the same as when I enrolled. So pay attention to how you place and move your finger on the reader when enrolling so you can repeat it. When I first enrolled, I lifted my finger at the end. None of my swipes worked, so I re-enrolled and watched what I did with my finger. Now it works second time regularly.

BBQ1

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I find that I have to make sure I swipe exactly the same as when I enrolled. So pay attention to how you place and move your finger on the reader when enrolling so you can repeat it. When I first enrolled, I lifted my finger at the end. None of my swipes worked, so I re-enrolled and watched what I did with my finger. Now it works second time regularly.

I can't even enroll, nothing is registering.

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't even enroll, nothing is registering.

You need to confirm that you are actually swiping on the fingerprint sensor. Not the camera, not the LCD display, not the speaker. Don't mean to insult you here.

You should be swiping the black pad near the top, rear of the phone.

Press down lightly. If it still doesn't recognize the swipe when the enrollment screen is actually looking for a swipe, then you probably need to head back to AT&T.

BBQ1

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You need to confirm that you are actually swiping on the fingerprint sensor. Not the camera, not the LCD display, not the speaker. Don't mean to insult you here.

You should be swiping the black pad near the top, rear of the phone.

Press down lightly. If it still doesn't recognize the swipe when the enrollment screen is actually looking for a swipe, then you probably need to head back to AT&T.

Pulled the battery and now its working like a charm, not sure what the hell was wrong with it.

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Pulled the battery and now its working like a charm, not sure what the hell was wrong with it.

Early software. These sorts of anomalies will probably disappear after the first software update or two. Same happened on other phones. My iPhone could not synch over bluetooth to my car stereo until after a software update.

Glad you solved it!!

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Dang it, well that's pointless then :-( I thought the fingerprint scanner would suffice.

It does suffice. The PIN is only a backup. Only an alternative method of unlock.

Say for instance, you leave the phone at home and need to get some info from it. You could call home and give someone the pin to unlock it.

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda surprised how well the finger swipe works. For a moment, i thought it was a gimmick and no security feature. I had my wife try to unlock and it denied her print. Im loving this feature for sure. Good job Moto...

Imagine if Tiger Woods had an Atrix!

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Of course you can disable. It's disabled by default when you buy the phone But what's the issue you are having?

Ive set up the scanner but I dont like having to hit the butto and then scan. I have the scanner active and want to disable it but cant figure it out

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ive set up the scanner but I dont like having to hit the butto and then scan. I have the scanner active and want to disable it but cant figure it out

If you want any security at all, it will work this way. Pattern or PIN requires the button press to wake the device. In fact, I think any Android device will still force you to press the button, then slide the unlock bar across the display.

If you want no security, then go back into the security settings and select "none" for the security choice. It's under Location & Security---Change Screen Lock.

But personally, I find it's easier to use the fingerprint sensor than any of the alternatives including the no-security option.

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want any security at all, it will work this way. Pattern or PIN requires the button press to wake the device. In fact, I think any Android device will still force you to press the button, then slide the unlock bar across the display.

If you want no security, then go back into the security settings and select "none" for the security choice. It's under Location & Security---Change Screen Lock.

But personally, I find it's easier to use the fingerprint sensor than any of the alternatives including the no-security option.

Got it!! thanks for the help bro. Im sure I will go back to that but Im messing with it so much right now, I just dont want the security. But I do like that feature. Just bad timing

Maestro1#AC

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone able to use the any of the apps that let you unlock the phone with the volume rocker...and then be able to use the fingerprint scanner after.

because having to push down on the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone before swyping fingerprint is a little akward

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone able to use the any of the apps that let you unlock the phone with the volume rocker...and then be able to use the fingerprint scanner after.

because having to push down on the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone before swyping fingerprint is a little akward

you'll probably have to try a 3rd party lock screen like Widget Locker for that.

Freakish Gnome

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Working great, but can't figure out how to unlock the phone using swipe without having to press power

You have to hit it otherwise the scanner isn't activated. Otherwise it would be reading everything that got close to it and kill your battery pretty fast. After awhile you get it down to like a 2 second motion anyway.

Any idea if they'll start expanding its use, like different fingers taking you directly to apps? That would be awesome and make it a feature to actually be jealous of

Incognitum

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Use scanner for other things?

Is it possible to set up the scanner to do things like log you into apps or websites which require account passwords? Or maybe as the master password on a password manager program? That's where I see the real value in the hardware; I mean you're carrying it around all the time, why only use it at the lock screen?

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante