Google sycing

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android, coming from a BB Bold 9000. I was just wondering if syncing through google is absolutely necessary with this phone? I've always just transferred contacts with the sim card. And I think I'm the only person left in the world not utilizing Google's g-mail...other then google maps, "googling" and the occasional visit to their videos and marketplace, I've not been up to date on the Google aspects of well..Google.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
you dont need to do the whole google thing to enjoy an android powered device, but the android OS is designed to integrate really well with the google ecosystem. where google syncing comes in handy is if for some reason you have to reset your phone, or when you get a new phone down the road, all o your contacts, calendar events, and gmail stuff pushes directly to the phone. also handy when you, say, add a new contact to your device, it automatically syncs with your gmail account as well. that said, i am sure there a few people that use android devices without really using google services. whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

that said, you do need to create a gmail account to use the phone, period. even if you never use that gmail account for anything in the future, you still need to create one. give gmail a try though. i never used google anything before getting my OG droid, but ever since i started using it, i cant imagine using anything else

check out this article as well. might be helpful to you: http://www.androidcentral.com/jumping-blackberry-android-heres-what-you-need-know

Reactions: ECghostie

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
you dont need to do the whole google thing to enjoy an android powered device, but the android OS is designed to integrate really well with the google ecosystem. where google syncing comes in handy is if for some reason you have to reset your phone, or when you get a new phone down the road, all o your contacts, calendar events, and gmail stuff pushes directly to the phone. also handy when you, say, add a new contact to your device, it automatically syncs with your gmail account as well. that said, i am sure there a few people that use android devices without really using google services. whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

that said, you do need to create a gmail account to use the phone, period. even if you never use that gmail account for anything in the future, you still need to create one. give gmail a try though. i never used google anything before getting my OG droid, but ever since i started using it, i cant imagine using anything else

check out this article as well. might be helpful to you: Jumping from BlackBerry to Android? Here's what you need to know! | Android Central

Thanks for you the great help. I've gone and created a gmail account and got the google sync app for my blackberry and synced it already. To think it was actually that easy. I think the greatest wall for me to climb now is probably transitioning from email to gmail. Not too big of a wall.

acPIZZA

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It would be really, REALLY silly to not get into Google services, ESPECIALLY if you are using a google device. Even if you weren't, it is still - by leaps and bounds - better as a service than anything else. My suggestion is making a mature, professional sounding (like your name.lastname) gmail account, and having everything else sent there, and use that as your main email account. Give it 5 minutes/one month/one year and you will keep finding reasons why and how it is simply a level above the rest.

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I do believe the Great Google God has shined His light upon me and reached his hand out to receive me. Syncing my existing emails and future email address to it is definitely an eye-opener

acPIZZA

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I do believe the Great Google God has shined His light upon me and reached his hand out to receive me. Syncing my existing emails and future email address to it is definitely an eye-opener

You are truly blessed. Now venture out and experience other such sacrements such as Google Calendar, Google Docs etc...

May the force be with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781