Data Speed Sucks on Atrix!

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I just got it, drove all over downtown Philly in HSPA+ coverage and the speed I get down is .36 mbps average! Called ATT and they have no clue what to do. They said no one else is complaining!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Like I've said 4G LTE on Verizon is the only *TRUE* 4G we'll see for awhile.

I am getting 30Mbps down, 8Mbps up and 30-40ms response.. now THAT's 4G.

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

You getting 30mb/8mb over LTE??? :eek:

I havent even seen those speeds on wifi! Thats awsome, Im thinking about switching now, lol.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You getting 30mb/8mb over LTE??? :eek:

I havent even seen those speeds on wifi! Thats awsome, Im thinking about switching now, lol.

Yep.. all day every day.. and it's consistant!!

I'm blown away by the 4G LTE.. regardless if Tmo/AT&T call their fake network's 4G, you wont see sub 40ms response times.

I was at a conference recently where I had a 6 way HD video call going all day long over the 4G LTE.

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep.. all day every day.. and it's consistant!!

I'm blown away by the 4G LTE.. regardless if Tmo/AT&T call their fake network's 4G, you wont see sub 40ms response times.

I was at a conference recently where I had a 6 way HD video call going all day long over the 4G LTE.

Thats awsome! I never knew LTE was that much faster.

chiratsu

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site

what kind of phone are you on? iPhone 5 already? 30mbps down? My wifi doesn't do that on my iPhone 4 over the LAN or EVO for that matter

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
He isn't using a phone for that most likely a usb stick. But att doesn't have 4g like VZW doesn't have a true 3g network

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I suggest everyone posts up on their facebook wall about this. i did and they gave me some mess that had nothing to do with unlocking HSUPA.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
what kind of phone are you on? iPhone 5 already? 30mbps down? My wifi doesn't do that on my iPhone 4 over the LAN or EVO for that matter

I am on a Pantech 4G LTE USB modem. Now will your phone see that speed? Not on the device itself, there's no reason to load a mobile web page at 30Mbps..

will you see that speed when you enable the mobile hotspot? F yes!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
He isn't using a phone for that most likely a usb stick. But att doesn't have 4g like VZW doesn't have a true 3g network

If you're going by what the ITU says, HSPA+ is capable of "4G" speeds (or greater..apparently it can go to 600Mbps), so AT&T and T-Mobile are now claiming their HSPA+ network as 4G.. however you most likely wont see a drop in response time.

I think it's a farce and as you'll see by this device and any others on their "4G" network, it will come to bite them in the ass eventually. So when AT&T starts up their LTE network, what are they going to call that?

I'm not sure what you mean by Verizon not having a true 3G network..??

the G in these networks isn't about speed IMO.. it's about the technology behind the network. 3G = third generation.. it doesn't mean 3.6Mbps, or whatever. CDMA EVDO RevA is a third generation technology, aka 3G.

LTE/WiMax is a fourth generation technology.. aka 4G.

All the carriers are doing by calling HSPA+ "4G" is confusing the consumers.. no one is going to see 30Mbps on these networks ANYTIME SOON.

Engadget says it best.. "fake 4G"

hlb3

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I went to the ATT store to pick up an Atrix this morning, I ran speedtest side by side with my iphone 4 on the same server location, pulled 5.09mbps down, 1.52mbps up with the iphone, the Atrix did 1.57mbps down, 0.14mbps up. The employees at the store were shocked, I let them run them both a few more times with similar results. The best down the Atrix did was 2.5, best up was 0.6, on different runs. The phone itself is very impressive, but that choked down data speed is a deal breaker after getting use to my iphone's speed. Hopefully the issue will get resolved by ATT or through rooting, because I would love to pick that phone up.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

quoted for truth.

too bad the Thunderbolt is becoming as elusive as bigfoot and unicorns

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
something is definitely up with the data and i'm blaming AT&T, not the Atrix.

my iPhone 4 would regularly have download speeds between 4 and 5 mbps, sometimes eclipsing 5. Download would be 1 to 1.2

Atrix-Download speeds are decent, average around 3.5, but this is supposedly a "4g" device. Technically HSPA+, or enhanced 3g, but still the iPhone 4 is HSPA 7.2, not hspa+. This device theoretically should be cranking out higher download speeds than the iPhone 4. But I can live with 3.5, especially compared to my DX on verizon which is usually around 700 to 1.2

Now the bad part of course, the download speeds. I'm maxing out around .3 mbps. We all know the issue here by now. Same as the Inspire "4g".

I'm in Dallas where the backhaul deployment is supposedly complete. This phone right now is a 3g phone thanks to AT&T. Hopefully they don't ruin this phone. I'm gonna give it a while and see how it improves, otherwise hello Thunderbolt.

Other than the data failing to live up to expectations, I think this really is an outstanding device.

crome1115#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
I think you're mistaken on this ..at&t is the one that. Doesn't. Have true 3g coverage ..everyone knows their network runs off of wifi signals primarily..their. 3g is minimal and spotty. Why do you think people complain so much about loss if signal? Where as Verizon atually has the best coverage out there..it always beats out all other carriers every year come reviews time..can't do that. W/O a TRUE 3G network..

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I should rephrase that while Sprint does have a WiMax 4G network, it's noooooo where near the speed as LTE.

i had the Evo for 30 days. Wimax was a joke imo. I'll take HSPA over it. weak building penetration due to the higher spectrum is the deal killer with wimax imo (and also the battery killer). Dallas is heavily blanketed in WiMax but it varied wildly from one street to the next. I was getting 8 mbps speeds which was nice but that was a rarity. LTE will rule all networks once fully deployed. It will be nice when AT&T and Verizon's networks are both up and running. Anxiously awaiting that Samsung LTE mobile hotspot on verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz