Contact merging/linking/naming?

Starfleeter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I bought an Atrix today, set up my motoblur account, linked my facebook, twitter, and google accounts and BAM, my contacts list is full of a bunch of random contacts from all three services. The only problem is that I can't find a way to merge/link my contacts together.

For example, my brother is in there twice: once for his general contact info that linked with his facebook etc, and then his twitter account is not linked.

Same thing with my mom except I have a Mom contact and then her facebook contact and can't merge them.

Also, I can't choose what name to display for each contact. This is highly frustrating since I can't find any sort of merge contacts option when I press and hold on a contact's name. In fact, I can't find a way to edit contacts at all without adding a new one. Any have any tips or advice for me?

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem with the contacts that are being synced into the phone. My contacts are appearing but also every email that I have emailed with gmail show up as contacts... even though I have not added them to my official contacts they all appear there. I am seeing tons of dups and I am not understanding why this is happening. I log into my gmail and click on contact it as 90 which is accurate but there is also another section within contacts where it says all contacts which shows every email address or contact that I emailed. Sadly the ALL contacts is what is being synced to the phone which is causing dups and some folks I dont require to be on my phone.

What options do i have to fix this?

update: I just deleted the "other contacts" via Gmail site.

Last edited:

Starfleeter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Still can't figure out how to change the display name of a contact. Any time I link someone to twitter, the name displayed changes to their twitter name. Now, I don't mind this happening with facebook overwriting the original name I gave someone but I hate that it's doing this with twitter names.

Any one figure this out yet?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I've searched the threads on this and it seems to be an OS issue. Something about it using the more complete name or something. I haven't been able to find the work around yet myself.

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah -- the Twitter name thing is really annoying. It has, for example, ME listed by a Twitter handle.

But more annoying -- my son and I have the same first and last name -- it merged his info with mine and will not let me edit the information. For example there are two "locked" e-mail addresses, one is his. Ditto with his cell. I tried erasing the entire contact, but it won't let me erase myself, and when I try creating a new contact for him, it just adds it to mine. REALLY annoying, as I need to call him and when he calls me, MY photo appears on the screen. Is this yet another MotoBlur issue?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah -- the Twitter name thing is really annoying. It has, for example, ME listed by a Twitter handle.

But more annoying -- my son and I have the same first and last name -- it merged his info with mine and will not let me edit the information. For example there are two "locked" e-mail addresses, one is his. Ditto with his cell. I tried erasing the entire contact, but it won't let me erase myself, and when I try creating a new contact for him, it just adds it to mine. REALLY annoying, as I need to call him and when he calls me, MY photo appears on the screen. Is this yet another MotoBlur issue?

Did you try to unlink the two contacts? I think that will fix both of your issues.

Good luck!

Reactions: Vic Nebulous

Cyanide41

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the problem with the twitter names too. Especially annoying if I can remember their twitter name and I am trying to find them.

Anyone know of an easy way to get contacts off of a black berry and in to my atrix?

Cyanide41

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So has one had any luck on changing the display names? This is annoying the heck out of me. I did find that if you search for the persons actual name it will list them, but I still don't really want to see them listed by their twitter account names.

owenrg

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I found that the even though the name is changed you can still search for the other name. For example if i had John Smith and John Tate Smith and i linked them and it got shortened to John Smith i can still search for Tate Smith and it'll come up.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm getting my Atrix in a week. Do you guys have any tips on how I should sync my contact to avoid any of the issues ou guys are experimenting. Should I skip the MotoBlur sign in and download google sync or do it with MotoBlur?

dervari

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My wife's name in the main contact is "Jane Smith" but it shows up in the address book as "Jane Jones Smith" (maiden name in the middle) since her FB name is that way. It's irritating as hell.

dema33alya

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Twitter half-fix

To fix the twitter problem: go to accounts, remove twitter account. turn off phone. turn on phone. It removes all twitter contacts from your address book.

Now re-add your twitter account.

You can't link the twitter accounts to the moto-contact, but you can hide the twitter from showing in your address book and bulking it up.

contacts > settings > display options > twitter > uncheck display all contacts

Because I mean really, if you are tweeting someone, then it's probably not from the contact list so much as a stand-alone app.