Atrix SD card: Reads OK- but no apps writing to it??

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is just stupid me... I'm new to Android, coming from a Blackberry Bold 9700.

I have an 8Gb sd installed and can add folders, files, etc via USB while installed in the Atrix.

When I unplug and go check "file manager" on the Atrix I can see and browse "SD card".

When I go to "Music" on the Atrix I can see and play all the songs I manually added to the SD card....

BUT-- my phone wont write ANYTHING to the SD card! Everything I download, every pic I take, every app's created files ALL go to "Internal Memory"!

Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong? How do I make something as simple as photos save to the SD? Go ahead, show me how ignorant I am.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OK... found the setting and got the camera to drop pics to the SD... so I know it works. Now can anyone help show me how to make the rest of the phone just default to the SD? Thanks! This forum has already helped a ton!

waltercln

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
did you try menu/settings/sdcard & phone storage
scroll to the bottom where it says storage location and change it to sd card?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The apps go to the internal storage. No way to have them in the SD card as of now.

Might be problematic in the future because some games install 1GB+ of data into the internal storage.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
"did you try menu/settings/sdcard & phone storage
scroll to the bottom where it says storage location and change it to sd card?"

I did that. Kouki seems to be correct. I tried "App 2 SD" and that app sees the internal memory as the SD! So the SD isn't of much help I guess. Crazy.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
menu/settings/SD Card & Phone Storage/

Look at the very bottom and see if Windows Media Sync isn't set to Internal Phone Storage. If you change that to SD card you will then be able to install applications to your external SD card...or maybe I'm just lucky and my phone is different than the rest of yours. So Kouki I'm calling your bluff on this one. If I remove my 32 GB external SD card, I loss about half of my apps.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What "App 2 SD" is calling my "SD Card" is 10.71Gb... My SD is only 8Gb so that app at least is not working with an external SD.

Element, when I go to settings/ applications it will allow me to move some but not all of my apps to the "Media Area"... my phone says noting about an SD card. The "Media Area" in my case is the phone's internal memory and not my SD.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
What "App 2 SD" is calling my "SD Card" is 10.71Gb... My SD is only 8Gb so that app at least is not working with an external SD.

Element, when I go to settings/ applications it will allow me to move some but not all of my apps to the "Media Area"... my phone says noting about an SD card. The "Media Area" in my case is the phone's internal memory and not my SD.

DO THIS

menu/settings/SD Card & Phone Storage/

Look at the very bottom and see if Windows Media Sync isn't set to Internal Phone Storage. If you change that to SD card you will then be able to install applications to your external SD card

The "media area" then becomes your external SD card and only SOME applications are designed to be installed to your SD card.

Err0xx

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Done all this and it still only gives me the option to move files to the "media area"- I've saved music to the SD card and can play it fine but I can't move files to the card from the phone itself unless I use the root version of file explorer, which breaks the app that's moved. Any ideas on how to change. "Media area" to SD card? It says media area where SD card should be listed in the application management area, and yes, I've checked the option to use the external SD card for windows media sync. Thanks.

Err0xx

Phatskipper

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem as above. I have the media storage area set to sd...but when I go to any of the apps in manage applications screen, I only get move to media area as option. When I do that it moves to phone internal storage...not sd.

ahmundoi

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I have Atrix 4G with Firmware 1.83. Rooted.

The music player has no problem recognizing the SD card as its source... nor does the camera. However, I am an avid fan of Audio Books and have been using Audible. Since 1.83 update, Audible isn't able to view any content on the external SD card.

I have contacted Audible, and their "canned" answer is that they have not developed support on dual-core systems yet. The support staff also had an Atrix, and he, too, is unable to use the SD card for storing audio books.

One other thing to note... most apps will look to its own folder off the root directory of the device. In the Atrix (when viewing files via Astro) I noted that the external SD card isn't at the "root" of the device's file structure, but under a subfolder called sdcard-ext.

I've also noted (on an related issue) that when I have ringtones stored on my external SD card, and I plug my phone into a USB port... the SD card gets "unmounted" and unavailble to the phone itself. When this happens, all my ringtones get scrambled, and the phone picks its default tones baked into the OS. VERY annoying, and I find myself needing to re-configure my preferred ringtone and notification sounds every time I plug my phone in (thus I hardly ever plug my phone in, except for the time I wanted to root it)

While I'm no XDA guru... but just a consumer, I make a leap to the conclusion that the Atrix (with update to 1.83) logically presents the location of the external SD card different than older Androids. We might just have to wait for developers to come out with updates to their apps before we can utilize the SD card for our app data.

Audible Support's last comment was that they are aware of the problem with "dual-core" devices, and will email me when they come up with an app update.

On the bright side, they gave me 1 free credit to download another book for the inconvenience.:)

tlaswell

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I have Atrix 4G with Firmware 1.83. Rooted.

I have contacted Audible, and their "canned" answer is that they have not developed support on dual-core systems yet. The support staff also had an Atrix, and he, too, is unable to use the SD card for storing audio books.

One other thing to note... most apps will look to its own folder off the root directory of the device. In the Atrix (when viewing files via Astro) I noted that the external SD card isn't at the "root" of the device's file structure, but under a subfolder called sdcard-ext.

While I'm no XDA guru... but just a consumer, I make a leap to the conclusion that the Atrix (with update to 1.83) logically presents the location of the external SD card different than older Androids. We might just have to wait for developers to come out with updates to their apps before we can utilize the SD card for our app data.

AstronomyTools or is it Astrotools has an option that if you put a downloaded database in \sdcard\astrotools it could read it. I dropped it on my SD Card in Astrotools folder but it doesn't find it. I bet this non standard way to mount the SD Card is the problem. I haven't tried rooting but I bet there is some way to remount the SD Card under a different link. I am wondering if there is a way to make a link off of root called sdcard that points to "SD Card". I think that is the way they do it in Linux back when I was playing with it.