2 Main Issues with the Atrix

Jeryl31

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
wow, i haven't had any battery issues since launch day. I've been running weather widgets, twitter updates, with a lot of others running at the same time. Running GO launcher and that's pretty much it, but haven't had any problems with the battery

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
For the text messaging video issue the size of the file is limited
at 720p you can only send 2.5 seconds of video
Then 720/480 is about 6 seconds
640/480 10-12 seconds
480/360 is around 25 second
Then low quality 176/144 which is text message recommend is 45 seconds
this is what I found on the captivate

Reactions: NolePhin

ecbarner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
suggestions from att retail

I currently work for an att retail. We just received our atrix and I have not yet used it however the HTC inspire is a great device and HTC has a slightly better grip on high end smartphones if your looking for something more comparable to the iPhone I would recommend the HTC inspire

jyar727

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I currently work for an att retail. We just received our atrix and I have not yet used it however the HTC inspire is a great device and HTC has a slightly better grip on high end smartphones if your looking for something more comparable to the iPhone I would recommend the HTC inspire

How exactly is the inspire closer to an iphone?!
Size-wise Atrix will be more similar to the iphone.
It has same number of cameras as the Iphone.
Software wise atrix and htc run on same android version minus the sense/blur difference.

I guess I don't know how else you're comparing the iphone and the inspire really. lol

awtryau89

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I too would look at the Inspire. I had both phones and ended up keeping the Inspire.

There are a couple of ways to approach this.

1. If you are not a tweaker and just want a phone with the best user experience to compete with an iPhone, the Inspire with its HTC Sense is the way to go. It is just a much more polished device. Battery life will be about the same on both. I know because a tried several tests and configurations and there was only a few percentage difference either way. Sometimes the HTC wins and vice versa.

2. If you are a tweaker, the Inspire wins again. Flashing roms and customizing the device will always be much easier. I have owned a Droid as well and use all the custom roms they have to offer. I am sorry Motorola fans but it just can't cut it compare to everything available on a phone with unlocked bootloader.

Now these are just my opinion but I am not a fanboy. I have an iPhone 4 and still switch back and forth. I also have a Captivate but the Atrix went back.

I guess you could say I am a tweaker but not an experimenter. I love to customize my phone but it has to be stable and great for day to day use. I found that in day to day use, the Inspire actually performed better with less lag and lock ups. It did not heat up as much. The camera was better. The screen was more responsive. Radios were about equal although I would say the Atrix had better earpiece quality. The Inspire does lack the FFC which I wish it had but I have my iPhone if I need to Facetime.

I understand the Atrix has a dual core processor and I love that aspect but I found it really did not equate to better performance. When I stepped back and looked at things without bias, it is my opinion that first is not always best. I think that the Atrix will be refined with upcoming updates but I am going to wait on dual core from other manufacturers and let it mature a bit more. This time next year, dual core will be in a better position for battery life and correct use. But guess what, all those single core 1ghz phones will still be performing nearly as well.

rich_halvorson

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Regarding batttery life, everything is relative.

Having come over from a Palm Pre+ (WebOS), if you use that device for anything more than simple phone calls, you can expect to have to be on the charger at least twice a day. Pre users end up owning multiple chargers positioned everywhere you go, so you can keep the device on a charger nearly all the time.

By comparison to that, my Atrix battery life is like heaven, and I consider it one of the best features!

It's funny, but this is the thing I am going to miss most about my Pre, sure I'll miss the OS, but I think I can move on, but having touchstones at work, home, and in the car it is just so convenient. Even with overclocking at 1ghz I never have battery problems because it is charging and easily visable for incomming messages most of the time. I plan to get the Infuse and who knows maybe it won't be that hard to hack the pre touchstone compatable back inerds in, but then again with the size so small I might not want to risk damaging something.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I am new to these forums and new to Android, coming from an Iphone 3GS.

First off, I absolutely love the Android OS over the Apple OS. The look, the function (for the most part), and just the overall feel and potential for customization.

The two main problems I have had since getting the Atrix (on first day of release), has been battery life and video/picture text messaging. I am now on the second Atrix, as the first one must of been a lemon due to very poor battery life. I have done a cycle or two on the current Atrix and recently did a factory reset.

The other main issue is that when I record video or take a picture and send it through text message, the phone is always needing to resize it, which heavily limits the size and quality of the videos I can sent via text. This alone is enough for me to return the phone but like I said I really like the Android system and I am giving it a fair trial.

That being said, if these issues can't be fixed I might have to just go back to the Iphone 3GS. =(

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Just a quick note, the video and image size restrictions have nothing to do with Android and everything to do with the MMS (image/video text message protocol) specification itself. Images sent via "text message" are limited to 640x480 and might even be further scaled down by the phone on the other end. The old Samsung Instinct (if I remember correctly) was one that couldn't even do 640x480 MMS messages.

UPDATE: I think _Zguy_ has the right idea. Video messages are probably limited based on total file size more than actual video resolution. And like I'm about to say below, video file sizes get smaller by losing quality.

Video has even tighter MMS restrictions. I think the max is 320x240. And you have to remember that the codec (algorithm) used to create the videos on these devices (iOS included) uses what's called a "lossy compression" method. That means that in order to keep the size small, it tries to "forget" pieces of each frame that it doesn't think you'll notice. In order to "re-size" a video for sending via MMS, it has to take the original (which already uses this lossy compression) and re-encode it again using the same algorithm, meaning it forgets even more. Each time you encode a video using one of the MPEG-based algorithms, the quality will get a little worse each time. It probably doesn't help that the Message app is probably trying to do this as quickly as possible, which means the quality is going to suffer even more because it's not taking as much time to analyze the video and make the best choices about which parts to "forget".

There's two things I would suggest trying: first, stop sending MMS video. If you want to share a video, try uploading to YouTube and then texting a link to the video. You can do this by going to the gallery, selecting the video you want to upload, and hit "Share". You should see a "YouTube" option in the list. The exact steps might differ "slightly" if the Atrix isn't using the stock Android Gallery application to view your photos and videos. You can even setup YouTube to automatically post a link on your Facebook or Twitter accounts every time you upload a video.

The other option, if you just *have* to send it via MMS is to adjust your camera's settings to record in a lower resolution so that the video won't have to be resized to be sent. Again, I have no idea if the Atrix runs a custom camera application (likely does), but you should be able to find instructions on Moto's website or your instruction manual on how to change the camera settings. Most of the time, there's "presets" for the type of video you want to record. If you've got it in High-Quality HD, that's not going to be able to transmit as an MMS. Look for a "Streaming" option at about 320x240. You might even have a preset called "MMS".

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on how to change the camera settings, but it's not difficult once you find out where the "Settings" button is on your camera app. Good luck.

Last edited:

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Lithium-Ion batteries have a "break-in" period. It takes *about* twelve full charge cycles for them to reach full storage potential.

As for task killers, you do *NOT* need anything to kill tasks on a schedule. I know everybody freaks out when they see the list of "loaded" applications, but you have to understand the difference between something that "loaded" into memory and something that's actually "running".

Android leaves applications you use more frequently loaded into memory so that it doesn't have to reload them all over again every time you tap the icon. "Cold launching" an application for the first time requires loading all the graphics and everything else from the storage medium and requires *significantly* more battery power than is required to merely "hold" it in memory. When Android detects that it needs more memory than is available, it will automatically shut down app(s) that haven't been used in a while.

That said, I do still have a task killer installed on my phone, but I use it on a manual basis *only*. Personally, I recommend "System Panel", since it has a readout very similar to Windows Task Manager and will show you the CPU usage of each app as a small, gray bar to the left of the application listing. If the phone is acting sluggish, I go looking for apps that are using CPU and shouldn't be and I can manually force them to shutdown. If you pay the $3 for the pro version, it will also allow you to record historical data that can be useful for tracking down applications which are constantly popping up and draining the battery.

And everyone's correct at the widgets affecting battery life. It's the best/worst thing about Android. These phones will sync so much different kinds of data, but usually the default settings are bit frequent. Another big problem I see all the time is people leaving WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time with their screen brightness at 100%. Here's some recommendations to check:

• Go to Settings -> Display and make sure your brightness isn't at 100%. Personally, I use Power Control Plus (in the market) with a three-stage brightness button: 10%, 40%, 100%. I can just tap the button and cycle between them for whatever lighting situation I'm in.
  • Setup some widget buttons or something (again, I use Power Control Plus) to make it easy to turn WiFi and Bluetooth on and off. Bluetooth especially is a big power drain. You can also go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> WiFi Settings and uncheck the "Notify" option. This will cause your phone to *constantly* (like every 5 minutes) scan for open WiFi connections, which can be a huge battery drain.
  • Go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> WiFi Settings and hit the "Menu" button at the bottom of the phone (the one down there by Home, Back, Search). This will bring up a menu at the bottom of the screen with an "Advanced" button. Tap that you'll get to a few more options. One of these is "WiFi sleep policy". By default, it's set to turn off the WiFi whenever the screen is turned off. Sounds like a great idea until you realize that the 3G radio just clicks back on as soon as the WiFi radio turns off and drains even more power than the WiFi does. I have mine set to "Never". If you do this *make sure* you manually turn your WiFi off when your not using it, like I mentioned above, but it will get you the best battery life while you've got WiFi access.
  • Check any Facebook/Twitter/Flikr/etc apps for how often their sync'ing. I used to have a Moto Android device and ran the widget that displays all your news feeds (can't remember what it's called to save my life) but I think the default update was like every 15 minutes. What I started doing was running TweetDeck, since I can setup different "channels" to display different info. I have the main feed that is set to only update once a day, and another channel that shows replies to things that I've commented on that updates every 2 hours, and a third channel which is specifically private messages sent to me, which updates every 15 minutes. Admittedly, I'm not the kind of person who's on Facebook all the time, but with this setup, I can just manually tell it to refresh all the channels whenever I'm actually in the mood to read the messages and not have it killing the battery all day unnecessarily.
  • Don't use task killers that automatically kill off all your apps. Most of the time, these apps will just have to relaunch, which uses more power than they were using just sitting there.
  • If you're using a weather widget, make sure the refresh is a bit lower. These seem to kill the battery quick. I'm actually running Beautiful Widgets right now and have it set so the weather is updated each time I unlock the phone, but not at any other times. This may *not* be the best solution for everyone but, since I'm at work all day, I may not use the phone for hours at a time. That way I know I'm always looking at the most recent weather data when I wake my phone, but it's not just syncing for no reason while it's in my pocket.

Keeping in mind that I'm rooted and have SetCPU running to throttle my CPU clock when the battery gets low in order to conserve juice, I can get will over 30 hours on a single charge with moderate usage.

Some food for thought, guys. Sorry about the *enormous* post :) Good luck!

beerhound

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Lithium-Ion batteries have a "break-in" period. It takes *about* twelve full charge cycles for them to reach full storage potential.

Right on target. One other thing to add to that is that people should fully charge and discharge their batteries ONE or TWO times. That calibrates the OS so that it knows the min/max capacity of the battery.

The rest of the time, you shouldn't let the power level go below ~20% if you can help it. Routinely discharging it farther than that will shorten the lifespan of your battery. Note that by "lifespan", i don't mean how long it will last on a single charge, I mean how long it will last before you have to replace it with a new one. (of course, as frequently as some of us upgrade, that probably isn't an issue) :cool:

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Right on target. One other thing to add to that is that people should fully charge and discharge their batteries ONE or TWO times. That calibrates the OS so that it knows the min/max capacity of the battery.

The rest of the time, you shouldn't let the power level go below ~20% if you can help it. Routinely discharging it farther than that will shorten the lifespan of your battery. Note that by "lifespan", i don't mean how long it will last on a single charge, I mean how long it will last before you have to replace it with a new one. (of course, as frequently as some of us upgrade, that probably isn't an issue) :cool:

Agreed. I did a full power cycle to the battery when I first recieved the phone. Ever since that first super charge, I havent had bad battery life at all. Its the best Android Phone I have owned that has givin me supreme battery life. I go almost 18 hours on a full charge and thats with moderate use. If people are running into this problem, completely drain your battery until almost dead. Then Turn the phone off and completely recharge it all the way to do a power cycle.

MajesticJG

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm a very new user to Android, having just come over to the ATRIX from an iPhone 3GS. I actually bought the ATRIX because I have some very legit reasons for needing the lapdock, and that combo has worked out very well for me. I'm happy. I always felt like Apple had a nasty cycle of planned obsolescence linked to good support for previous products. They'll LET you use your old hardware, but they'll make sure that it's performance is such that you'll always want another upgrade.

I think Apple's crippled multi-tasking and automatic toggling of GPS is their way of managing the battery life for you. Android will let you go nuts with your battery drain if you want to.

I was having serious battery-life issues and was considering returning the phone. Not being an Android expert, I simply set the battery management to "maximum savings" and used the task manager to denote certain apps that I know I want it to kill for me, like games that I wouldn't want running in the background.

That has made a world of difference today, as it's nearly 4pm and I've got 70% charge left.

I do miss the iPhone version of ESPN Scorecenter, which would give me notifications mid-game. I also miss MotionX GPS Drive, possibly the best mobile phone GPS app I've ever seen. Aside from that, there's no comparison. I got a better camera and the extra speed has made it so I'm more likely to respond to work e-mails directly from the phone than to "Mark as Unread" and wait until I get to a desktop, which means there's less work waiting for me when I get to the office.

And Widgets. Love those, too.

jason3204

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Atrix will not connect to my wi-fi

I know the net work and the pass word are correct, my iphone will connect. can any one help or has any one had this problem?

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing that I feel is a very common thing people overlook when comparing battery life between an iphone and android devices is the fact that many users have widgets that update on a schedule, weather services running in the background, etc much more than on an iphone since there are no widgets. You really have to compare apples to apples (pardon the pun). Widgets are one of the reasons I switched and have not went back to apple and well those beauties take some battery life. And remember, the batteries are removeable and spares are pretty cheap!

Well said! Couldn't agree more!

Also I came from iPhone 4 (seems a lot of us abandoned Apple) and I am loving Android. I always hated on it but recently I became interested in Android. Wow all the features I have been missing. I love being able to do whatever I want. Yes the battery isnt what it was on iPhone 4 but I enjoy the widgets and playing with the phone much more than the iPhone. The Atrix is an awesome phone. Now if only we could have REAL custom ROMs!

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't disagree with you more. I came from an iPhone 4 )over 2 years with iPhones) and I went with the Inspire initially. The battery life on that phone is absolutely embarassing. Also the volume is god awful. The Atrix size wise, battery wise and speed is much closer to an "iPhone experience" minus all the lock downs Apple puts into iOS. The Atrix IMO is a FAR better device than the Inspire.

Reactions: ross.lafferty

LazLong

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Bogus Info

For battery life, if your willing to, you should root and underclock. While your not gaming or doing the like those tegras inside of your phone are sucking battery for no reason.

This is a worthless suggestion. The ARM processor takes care of this for you by lowering clock and idling when there aren't demands on it. The ARM processor is the king of power saving. Why do you think it is used in almost all mobile devices? Go read the Wikipedia entry on the ARM processor architecture.

Blackspiderman22

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I HATE task killers but Motorola seems to promote them. IMO Juice defender > any task killer.

Oh and stop letting your phone autosyncing facebook/twitter. I recommend getting a new SMS like handcent from market.

airtime

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Im having the same prob on the Atrix with the video resizing, noticed at first trying to text. Then I tried what was suggested a few pages earlier, which was to send to email, wanted to resize for that also. Lastly tried to upload to FB, on both the desktop site and using friendcaster ( now FB says they will accept up to 1024mb's and <20 mins in length) if I'm trying on the desktop site, it says I have some sort of pop-up blocker preventing it, or, now get this, it just kicks me off the site completely. If I try to use friendcaster to upload, it starts to load really slow, (even with full bars and H+) then gets to approx 30% then my screen goes dark (not like a typical shutdown, its slower) and my phone reboots. Thought this was just a glitch till it did it the next 2 times.

What the hell is going on?? Oh, and the size of the video wasnt huge, it was 1:08, @ 720, I think. The total size was 99mb. Anyway, I'm thinking its got to be something set in the phone limiting the size of what you send, but I cant figure out what. Any Idea's? This is driving me nuts!!!!!

HankAtrix

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the battery that it is great. I use Advance Task Killer regularly.

On the text messages with photo's, I agree - I have been looking for other options / apps as well.

Thanks

errzone

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Regarding batttery life, everything is relative.

Having come over from a Palm Pre+ (WebOS), if you use that device for anything more than simple phone calls, you can expect to have to be on the charger at least twice a day. Pre users end up owning multiple chargers positioned everywhere you go, so you can keep the device on a charger nearly all the time.

By comparison to that, my Atrix battery life is like heaven, and I consider it one of the best features!

Amen to that. I'm coming from the original Palm Pre on Sprint. I refused to buy extra chargers, so it got to the point where I wouldn't use the phone unless I absolutely had to...which defeats the whole purpose of owning a smart phone. I can use my Atrix all day, lots of texting, downloading apps, web browsing, phone calls, and still make it to midnight on a single charge. The only time I see a huge battery drain is when using the Google Navigation, but I guess that's expected.