Atrix Display and Comments

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I spent several hours yesterday (Sunday) at a AT&T Retail Store with the Motorola Atrix. As you may know the phone display is a smidge under resolution to the IPhone 4- it lacked the "Punch" I thought the Display would or should have- is it because of Android 2.2? The dual core and Nvidia graphics accelerator should have given the Atrix a absolutely stunning display, it was ?Just Ok? display, but nowhere near the retina display of Apple. I am resigned or guessing to think that this may be a Android software thing-

The Battery time appears good, I ran the Motorola ?Flash Demo Site? about 9 times, ran Kobe Bryant?s ?Nike Black Mamba? 5 min Trailer sever times was all over the web, Huge Multi Media Sites, and I didn?t ding the Battery at all, which was very surprising-

There is no question the Phone is very fast, actually at this point, I?ve never held a faster phone in my hand, we downloaded Extreme Labs Speed test, ?Blink? it was done, actually initially I thought the download aborted- No such luck, Its fast-

So the Bottom line, The Display worries me. On the other Hand I'm hearing the Display on the Xoom is Gorgeous- but their running Gingerbread 3.0- I remember there was talk that Gingerbread required some very High Tech Hardware in place, Dual Core, Nividia ect- The Atrix is running Android 2.2-

Oops! I left one thing out-

The Sales rep told me the phone was ?LTE Ready?, when I asked what do you mean, he smiled and said all that?s required is a Sim Card Change Out, He said Both the Inspire and the Atrix were that way. After I got home I called AT&T and spoke to a Supervisor in Technical Services, who confirmed that dialog. I am very surprised, as none of the reviews have said that. There has been great debates over 4G, and articles that say the Atrix is but isn?t 4G, and cannot work on LTE-

jeremy81

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It is because the Atrix has a PenTile display. It can sometimes makes text look jagged or give certain images/colors a screen door effect. Coming from an iPhone 4 I really wasn't too pleased with the display at first but now that I have had time to get used to it it doesn't bother me anymore. I've also had a Nexus One and can say that the PenTile display in that is much much more obvious.

The Atrix is not LTE compatible they are giving you the wrong info.

Last edited:

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I personally really like the Atrix a lot. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that I love it, but it seems like a solid phone. If you are not super happy with the display, I would advise against getting the anti-glare/anti-fingerprint screen protector from AT&T. It makes the display look worse than my old Motorola StarTAC. :-/

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the impression the Xoom was going to run Honeycomb.

Anyway...I do believe that will be my only gripe about getting the phone in 2 weeks but I can easily look pass it because I'm actually coming from an outdated phone, so anything I see, do, or hear on this phone should more or less blow my BB Bold 9000 out of the water.

4G? Not going to bother me. I'm gonna be on Wi-Fi most of the time and harboring the 200MB limit plan so download/upload speed will be my kryptonite.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
How does the display worry you? Are you afraid its gonna go out or go dark or something? If you don't like the display you don't have to buy the thing. Is the display amazingly bright? nope but who cares its a phone. I don't get everyone who is so worried about the display - are you watching full length movies on this thing. Its a display that shows everything you need and thats all you need.

jeremy81

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How does the display worry you? Are you afraid its gonna go out or go dark or something? If you don't like the display you don't have to buy the thing. Is the display amazingly bright? nope but who cares its a phone. I don't get everyone who is so worried about the display - are you watching full length movies on this thing. Its a display that shows everything you need and thats all you need.

He is saying the display doesn't have the sharpness/wow factor that one would expect with a high resolution display. The problem is most people are expecting a display that looks similar to the iPhone 4 display but since it's a PenTile display it doesn't always seem quite as good.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

get your head out of the ground. if no one cared about displays, why does everything boil down to retinas, amoleds, and pentiles? it's a HUGE part of the phone.

to the OP - yes, the PenTile display gives the atrix a few minus points. you can tell that yellows are never actually yellow - more of a squash color, because there's a predominantly green hue to it due to the PenTile setup. It does not look nearly as sharp, vibrant or colorful as the retina.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
get your head out of the ground. if no one cared about displays, why does everything boil down to retinas, amoleds, and pentiles? it's a HUGE part of the phone.

to the OP - yes, the PenTile display gives the atrix a few minus points. you can tell that yellows are never actually yellow - more of a squash color, because there's a predominantly green hue to it due to the PenTile setup. It does not look nearly as sharp, vibrant or colorful as the retina.

My head is not in the ground, every company needs something to advertise but according to you there wouldnt be a reason to buy the atrix cuz its not the best screen. Once the screen got really good who cares if its the absolute best. I'm guessing most people, you included, couldn't tell the difference between the screens unless you had the phones side by side(or a read a review where they held them side by side) . And thats the point, once the screens became really good the difference between them has become minute and in my opinion - which my post is - just an opinion - it doesn't matter which screen your phone has cuz they are all great.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My head is not in the ground, every company needs something to advertise but according to you there wouldnt be a reason to buy the atrix cuz its not the best screen. Once the screen got really good who cares if its the absolute best. I'm guessing most people, you included, couldn't tell the difference between the screens unless you had the phones side by side(or a read a review where they held them side by side).

Your head is still in the ground. When did I say not to buy the phone because the display is flawed? I didn't. Regardless, it still is a huge part of the phone. You wouldn't have been as attracted to this phone if it ran a 640 x 480 resolution, or was a 3.5-inch screen. People are looking at this phone more because it has a higher resolution than all other Android phones.

If you play Words with Friends, or Angry Birds, or look at any photo with a distinct YELLOW in it, you'll see EXACTLY what the flaw in our display is. It takes no comparison to any other phone. It's obvious just by staring at the display.

It's a nice high-res display, but it has its flaws, and they are easily noticable off the bat. I noticed the yellow issue way before anyone told me about it - the few minutes after I loaded up the phone and started adding apps, I added Words with Friends and started wondering why the yellow tiles all looked greenish. Then I started reading reviews and forums about it.

You can keep living in ignorant bliss, but the truth is the display is not the best. Whether or not that breaks the deal is up to you, as obviously most of us here (myself included) have accepted it because everything else about the phone is amazing.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My head is not in the ground, every company needs something to advertise but according to you there wouldnt be a reason to buy the atrix cuz its not the best screen. Once the screen got really good who cares if its the absolute best. I'm guessing most people, you included, couldn't tell the difference between the screens unless you had the phones side by side(or a read a review where they held them side by side) . And thats the point, once the screens became really good the difference between them has become minute and in my opinion - which my post is - just an opinion - it doesn't matter which screen your phone has cuz they are all great.

No offense, but everyone has different priorities. Just because it's not important to you doesn't make it any less important to everyone else. The screen isn't a big deal to you, but to others it is... might want to show a little respect instead of bashing on people because they have different preferences than you.

Your last statement makes no sense to me, all screens are great? Really? AMOLED has oversaturated colors. Lot's of people love it because of that, others hate it because it doesn't produce natural colors. you don't have to hold a display such as the Iphone 4's display to know that it is an amazing display and better than anything currently available for any other phone. If we go by your statement that all screens are great then I suppose we don't need such large screens or high resolution screens for that matter. Let's go back to those 256 color LCD displays we have on phones years back, because I mean.... those are great, right?

Like I said, to you it's nothing, to others it's something. I'm sure if you list what's important to you in a phone many others will not share the same views. That's the way the world works.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Your head is still in the ground. When did I say not to buy the phone because the display is flawed? I didn't. Regardless, it still is a huge part of the phone. You wouldn't have been as attracted to this phone if it ran a 640 x 480 resolution, or was a 3.5-inch screen. People are looking at this phone more because it has a higher resolution than all other Android phones.

If you play Words with Friends, or Angry Birds, or look at any photo with a distinct YELLOW in it, you'll see EXACTLY what the flaw in our display is. It takes no comparison to any other phone. It's obvious just by staring at the display.

It's a nice high-res display, but it has its flaws, and they are easily noticable off the bat. I noticed the yellow issue way before anyone told me about it - the few minutes after I loaded up the phone and started adding apps, I added Words with Friends and started wondering why the yellow tiles all looked greenish. Then I started reading reviews and forums about it.

You can keep living in ignorant bliss, but the truth is the display is not the best. Whether or not that breaks the deal is up to you, as obviously most of us here (myself included) have accepted it because everything else about the phone is amazing.

Well said, I certainly wish the display was better. I'd take the color issues over a pentile screen anyday.

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Fyi there arent more green subpixels then other colors. There are equal numbers of each color. It is a rgbw pentile.

sublime187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is it the best screen? No. The Iphone 4 has the best screen.

So what? Want to "wow" your friends? Guess what? They don't give a sh*t about your phone.

Just blast your display on full brightness all day and carry around 2 extra batteries. Strangers will be very impressed by your bright, vivid display!

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I consider the Atrix screen to be it's worst feature. It looks like the old time 16-bit color.

At least you can minimize MotoBlur with LauncherPro, or other. There's no fixing the screen, unless they do something with the Color Look-Up Table during an update, which I doubt.

sublime187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
people really like to exaggerate the lack of quality of the screen.

it's not bad at all.

but i guess if your idea of a good time is drooling over your pink and neon green live wallpapers with a bottle of jergens and a box of kleenex, and you need the the utmost color representation from your 4" screen (is that smartphone in your pocket or are you just...?) then you better run, run, run from the atrix and get yourself an iphone 4.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
people really like to exaggerate the lack of quality of the screen.

it's not bad at all.

And you are who to determine if people are exaggerating? Oh that's right nobody, you just have different priorities when it comes to features and since everyone else doesn't see it your way, they must be wrong.

but i guess if your idea of a good time is drooling over your pink and neon green live wallpapers with a bottle of jergens and a box of kleenex, and you need the the utmost color representation from your 4" screen (is that smartphone in your pocket or are you just...?) then you better run, run, run from the atrix and get yourself an iphone 4.

Oh I'm sorry, it seems we may have offended your wife, the atrix. It's ok you can take her back to bed and tell her how we are just jealous and that her screen is just as good as the Iphone 4... then you can show her your pocket and how happy you are to see her.

Don't be a total douche in your responses.

megamanexent

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The hate is just boiling in this thread.....

Yes the Atrix screen does not offer the "WOW" factor, but it's still good. Might not be right for everyone, and a deal-breaker for some, but it is still a good screen. Bottom-line, for the price, the Atrix is impressive, even with the Pentile screen. Put a Retina display on an Atrix and Moto might just charge $799 for the phone. There's always a trade off.

jyar727

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Why does everyone who doesn't want to buy the phone feel the need to explain themselves on this forum? Does it make them feel better about their decision when they get responses that agree with them probably?

Just saying, actual atrix 4g owners need to stop trying to convince people its an awesome phone. Its not gonna satisfy everybody and thats too bad oh well.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I asked for "Help" not arguments

Hey Gang

Please stop fighting, I asked for Help not Fight and Boiling Tempers- Sanjay Jha who is the Head of Motorola Mobility announced this phone having a "Spectacular Display" and Spectacular Performance-

There is a "Implication" that the Display is "Near" IPhone resolution and Quality.
In fact it is not even near the display quality of a Retina Display- Im not looking for a Apple IPhone- Im looking for a High End Android with a top notch Display. For Instance, I saw the Droid X, The Display Jumps at you and says "Take Me Home with You", and without any technical assistance The X display actually looks nicer than the Atrix Display! How can that be?

There has been much talk about Anroid Higher OS Gingerbread and Honeycomb coming and the need for High End Processors, and Nividia Graphic accelerators for them to work- There was also comment on Motorolas site about the colors of the Atrx being moved to 32bit from 24 bit- on the upgrade. The Atrix fits that "bill" perfectly-

So basically, I understand all new phone have problems, however is this fixable with a new OS Upgrade like Gingerbread or Honetcomb or Icecream?

I am looking for a "High Quallity, High End Display" not to waive around and show my neighbors, "Look what I have" I want it to see better and do better-

Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay