Google Pulls Market Apps with Root Exploit.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Someone contacted Android Police with a list of applications that contain malicious code to root your device, and this has resulted in Google using the kill-switch and pulling 21 applications from the Market (and users phones). Here's the list of affected applications according to Android Police:

•Falling Down
•Super Guitar Solo
•Super History Eraser
•Photo Editor
•Super Ringtone Maker
•Super Sex Positions
•Hot Sexy Videos
•Chess
•下坠滚球_Falldown
•Hilton Sex Sound
•Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
•Falling Ball Dodge
•Scientific Calculator
•Dice Roller
•躲避弹球
•Advanced Currency Converter
•App Uninstaller
•几何战机_PewPew
•Funny Paint
•Spider Man
•蜘蛛侠
All the apps were published by Myournet to the Android Market. The apps use the rageagainstthecage exploit to root your phone (or tablet), which opens the door for the app to do anything with your data -- like send it to a remote server. Of course with root it can do much worse as well.

If you installed any of these applications, they should have been pulled off your phone, but that's not enough. You need to do a full system wipe and reset your phone completely, the data wipe and reset from settings may not be enough. This means ODIN, RUU's, .sbf files or a trip to your carrier store if this is beyond your capabilities. The call to our forum moderators and advisers is out, and we're going to try and help as much as we can.

Perhaps the worst part of the whole situation is that this exploit has been patched by Google. Starting with 2.2.2, AOSP has been fixed to halt this exploit, and with Gingerbread it no longer works at all. This puts the need for quick carrier updates in an entirely new perspective, as potentially 50,000 users are affected because they are still running old versions of the OS. I'm all for an open Market, but something has to be done, and it will have to start at the top in Mountain View.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has downloaded one of these apps and does not know how to completely restore your phone back to stock, let one of us know and we will do everything that we can to help you.

Last edited:

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I installed Chess for couple of days but not sure if it was from the same publisher. Is there a way of getting history of apps installed?
Can someone post the screenshot of Chess which was pulled off?

Mine looked like this
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.chess&feature=search_result

but I just want to be sure that I did not install the infected one.
Worried!

The developer was Myournet. So if the one in your post is the one you have gotton originally, its ok.

TequilaGuy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well the infected one looks exactly like the one i posted before

Chess - Android

I will go ahead and do factory reset just to be safe.
So all I have to do is click on "Factory reset" in Settings-> Privacy?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Any suggestions re: anti virus apps? Like AntivirusFree from Droidsecurity?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I'm currently using AVG Antivirus Pro (paid version) and I have used Lookout. Both seem to be pretty good and Lookout gives you an icon in the notification bar to let you know you are protected.

Anyone got other suggestions? I keep hoping Kaspersky will release an app for android.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
really HANDY you say!?!?! :p

Did I say Handy? How about SUPER HAND-Y! :p

Well the infected one looks exactly like the one i posted before

Chess - Android

I will go ahead and do factory reset just to be safe.
So all I have to do is click on "Factory reset" in Settings-> Privacy?

Yes that will do a factory reset. But that developer is not the same developer as listed by Google. So you should be ok

I'm currently using AVG Antivirus Pro (paid version) and I have used Lookout. Both seem to be pretty good and Lookout gives you an icon in the notification bar to let you know you are protected.

Anyone got other suggestions? I keep hoping Kaspersky will release an app for android.

Norton has an AntiVirus in the Market also. Real sweet app. Has the same feature like Lookout. Also whats nice about it is............it lets you block sms and calls from numbers you specify. No more bill collectors!!! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21