Motoblur account? Yes or No?

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm not an android device owner yet but I will be purchasing a Motorola Atrix in a week or so. My question is do you have to create a MotoBlur account before using the device? What are the benefits of doing this?

Another question I had was do I have to link all my social networks with it? The reason I ask this is bc I've read mixed opinions on doing this. I've also read that the social widget or Facebook widget isnt working properly. I'm coming from Blackberry so please bare with me here. I would really love some kind of social hub where I can update my Facebook and twitter account from. Does MotoBlur have this.

I also heard a lot of people complain about MotoBlur. To be honest I've played with the Atrix a couple of times at the ATT store and I didn't mind it all. I actually liked it. I just want to know what is all the hate about. I know it will come to personal preference but I would still want to hear some answers as to why.

Again please bare with me and thanks for the replies in advance. Looking forward to being a new Android user and Atrix owner.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm not an android device owner yet but I will be purchasing a Motorola Atrix in a week or so. My question is do you have to create a MotoBlur account before using the device? What are the benefits of doing this?

Another question I had was do I have to link all my social networks with it? The reason I ask this is bc I've read mixed opinions on doing this. I've also read that the social widget or Facebook widget isnt working properly. I'm coming from Blackberry so please bare with me here. I would really love some kind of social hub where I can update my Facebook and twitter account from. Does MotoBlur have this.

I also heard a lot of people complain about MotoBlur. To be honest I've played with the Atrix a couple of times at the ATT store and I didn't mind it all. I actually liked it. I just want to know what is all the hate about. I know it will come to personal preference but I would still want to hear some answers as to why.

Again please bare with me and thanks for the replies in advance. Looking forward to being a new Android user and Atrix owner.

You need a Motoblur account to use the phone. You can load Launcher Pro or ADW on the phone once you sign in.

Reactions: kid108

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
To my understanding (I went through this), a MotoBlur must to be created to "activate" the phone.

Once this is done, you have access to MotoBlur's site, where you can remote wipe or trace the phone. Note that this account is NOT your google's account. It's a separate account.

As for the social networks/emails...etc...I checked on XDA, read here and asked Moto's' livechat about the data that goes through MotoBlur. From what I gather, MotoBlur keeps your logins but not the emails itself, though facebook/twitter feeds do pass through MotoBlur's servers to push down to their widgets. The built-in motoblur widgets work with only the accounts you entered in MotoBlur's config in the phone.

More info on MotoBlur here.

I personally don't like having my login info/feeds on another server...so I didn't use any of MotoBlur's stuff...only the login because I needed it.

However, MotoBlur has its benefits of being a centralized location to store contacts, facebook info, email logins...so in theory if you move to another MotoBlur-capable phone in the future, you just have to log in with the MotoBlur account, and all your emails/facebook/twitter will be setup automatically.

This is very subjective and personal. I'd rather manage these on my own, so that's just me.

Many forumers use a different launcher. It's like the homescreen.
I'm personally using launcherPro and customized it to my own liking. No motoblur widgets in sight.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe, if memory serves, that you can bypass the motoblur setup. When you get to the screen, hit the menu button and I setup wifi. Once you are connected to the internet, I believe you can hit next and skip the setup.

I'm going off of memory here, I did this the first week I got the phone because motoblur screwed up my uploads to picasa and bypassing it fixed my issues.

Like Mr.Lee said, your info passes through moto servers and it's something some are not comfortable with. It's up to you though.

EDIT: You can also enter the following on the main screen. alt d alt d B L U R O F F, or alt E alt E B L U R O F F
I haven't tried this method though.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Also remember you DON'T have to use Facebook or Twitter or anything else through MotoBlur. I use a seperate Twitter app with it's own Widget and the Facebook widget forget about it is terrible (Not Motorolas fault this time). The only account I have linked through MotoBlur is my google account and I'm not worried about things going through Motorola servers for that. They are a giant company and I'm not worried about any issues arising from this.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help. I think I might just go the Launcher pro or ADW way to avoid any problems or hiccups. I still would appreciate other peoples opinions on this or if you have a link shoot it this way. Thanks. :D

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help. I think I might just go the Launcher pro or ADW way to avoid any problems or hiccups. I still would appreciate other peoples opinions on this or if you have a link shoot it this way. Thanks. :D

Launcher Pro Plus FTW! I tried ADW as well but for me LPP was nicer.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I loved ADW EX on my EVO, but I think Launcher Pro runs smoother on my Atrix.

If you are looking for a one stop shop for social networks, the are apps like Seesmic and Tweetdeck that you can use one widget to update twitter, facebook, etc, by typing your update once and it sends to all accts you have linked.

lshuman

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I loved ADW EX on my EVO, but I think Launcher Pro runs smoother on my Atrix.

If you are looking for a one stop shop for social networks, the are apps like Seesmic and Tweetdeck that you can use one widget to update twitter, facebook, etc, by typing your update once and it sends to all accts you have linked.

Yes motoblur have a widget for that. Its called social networking.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone out there thats had a solid experience with MotoBlur? Just curious.

Define solid experience. If you mean someone that has actually used it, then i think it's safe to say anyone with a motorola phone. I used it for about a week before I spent time trying to get rid of it.

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with it. I just use some of their widgets and home launcher, no social networking stuff from them as I think their social networking apps/widgets are lame. I also don?t use their email (although their exchange implementation is among the best I've seen) because there is no cut and paste in their email apps (big fail), so I use K9 email. Blur is really okay if used judiciously and does not cause noticeable slowdowns.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Define solid experience. If you mean someone that has actually used it, then i think it's safe to say anyone with a motorola phone. I used it for about a week before I spent time trying to get rid of it.

Solid experience as in they love or hasn't had any problems with it at all.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I had little interest in MotoBlur because I don't use any of the "social networking" sites. So I wasn't really happy to "have to" set up something I'd have no use for.

But setup was painless, and having the options for remote locate and wipe DO attract me. As does the finger reader, because I have a decade of PDA data stored in my phone and some of it would be a security problem if it got out.

So no, I don't have Moto storing anything in the cloud for me now. (Google got hacked, and then lost 30,000 accounts of all emails?) I don't use the social networks.

But as far as I can see, all I needed to do was register, and nothing else has ever bugged me. If I lose the phone, I can call Moto and they'll transfer some data and then blow it up by remote control. Or something like that.

I can't see any problem with that. Maybe I just don't know what else there is to worry about.

The phone works well, overall. The fingerswipe is how I've been securing my laptop for five years, and I'll never go back to a password-only system if I can have the swipe option. It just makes it Too Damn Easy to Stay Secure.

MotoBlur? Yeah, it must be in here someplace. Out of sound and sight, the way all good servants should be.<G>

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess I will have to decide when I have it in my hands.. Have so much to catch up in the Android world, feels overwhelming. Thanks to all the responses. Appreciate it. Great community.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Im actually impressed with MotoBlur. I have Launcher Pro Plus and ADW Launcher EX installed and have togled them back and forth. But MotoBlur makes it just a bit smaller the widgets and icons and has more "business like" widgets should I say. Or the Social Networking widget and RSS widgets that you can customize just seem like a decent fit. MotoBlur is not as bad as what people say. I dig it.

Setesh

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The main problem I have with MotoBlur (and other manufacturer specific addons like HTC Sense) is the resulting delay in updates. A vanilla Android handset like Nexus One or S gets OS updates first, in no small part because the code doesn't have to go through the manufacturer of the phone for additional modification.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The main problem I have with MotoBlur (and other manufacturer specific addons like HTC Sense) is the resulting delay in updates. A vanilla Android handset like Nexus One or S gets OS updates first, in no small part because the code doesn't have to go through the manufacturer of the phone for additional modification.

I would love a Vanilla Android handset but the problem is Im on ATT and T-mobile Has the Nexus S :( and unlocking it wouldnt be an option for me. But I know what you mean.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173