Questions....of a true Noob

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok. This my first android device...and I think its great! So far...I've explored all the coolest widgets and even paid for a few good ones. Have launcher pro....rooted....and adeo rom. With me being rooted and adeo rom does that mean my phone will not get pushed upgrades/updates? Would I have to completely revert to stock for such upgrades and updates from att/motorola?

...and what the heck does bootloader mean? Sideloading? The terms gingerbread, honeycomb, and such...are those official terms or just android slang? Lol sorry...I came from blackberry and am only used to crackberry language....but am willing to learn this whole new world!

English please.... :-/

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok. This my first android device...and I think its great! So far...I've explored all the coolest widgets and even paid for a few good ones. Have launcher pro....rooted....and adeo rom. With me being rooted and adeo rom does that mean my phone will not get pushed upgrades/updates? Would I have to completely revert to stock for such upgrades and updates from att/motorola?

...and what the heck does bootloader mean? Sideloading? The terms gingerbread, honeycomb, and such...are those official terms or just android slang? Lol sorry...I came from blackberry and am only used to crackberry language....but am willing to learn this whole new world!

English please.... :-/

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to Android. From what I know, You wont be able to get pushed updates from Moto/ATT since you have another ROM installed. And your also rooted, which can be easy to just OneClickRoot back to stock. Im not 100% sure what the bootloader is. Sideloading means installing Apps not in the market via the SideLoader Wonder Machine. ATT restricts users from downloading Apps not in the market. With the Sideloader Wonder Machine, you can plug in your USB, put usb debugging on and sideload the app onto your phone. But if you used superonelick root to root your phone, there is also a tab on there to allow you to enable the download of non market apps.

And about the wacky names, thats what Google has used. There the names of the OS's on an Android phone. There was Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.1), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3) and Honeycomb (3.0) which is an OS optimized just for Tablets. So even though BlackBerrys had OS 1.11.111.699 (or what not) Google actually Names there OS's.

Im not to sure about what a Bootloader is. I do understand installing other roms. Its like installing leaked OS's on BlackBerrys. Then there is Custom ROMS developers make. And they fix a lot of things that people would love to have. I give those guys a lot of credit, there really smart. XDA Developers website has some of the best people around for customization. But I do believe you will have to revert to stock with your ROM and unroot to get an update from Moto/ATT.

(If Im wrong, someone chime in and help)

Either way, welcome to Android! Lots of CrackBerry Converts in here, Including myself for awhile now, and Android Is just as fun (Or Funner! lol) then BlackBerry. From CrackBerry.com to AndroidCentral.com I came :)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi i have a question too... I rooted my phone to be able to sideload the apps, but then i found out about the Sideload Wonder Machine but i currently have couple of nonemarket games installed... so my question is, if i will unroot the atrix would it somehow affect already sideloaded games? would i have to reinstall them using Sideload Wonder Machine ?
thanks!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, if an update is pushed to your phone while you are on a custom ROM. Do not install before reverting to stock. It will not load. Hopefully you made a backup of your stock ROM.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
wow... i typed the longest email last night (technically early morning) before i went to bed and forgot to hit send. But I see you got all your answers.

Welcome!

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, if an update is pushed to your phone while you are on a custom ROM. Do not install before reverting to stock. It will not load. Hopefully you made a backup of your stock ROM.

Thanks for that info....however...I did not make a backup of my stock ROM :/ please tell me there is a way back from this path I took?!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Awe...lol thank you though!
no problem... you'll be a pro in no time.

i still haven't rooted my Atrix and while typing this, i think i just may do it when it's done charging. lol.

don't need to, but i get bored easily and want to tinker. haha.

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Umm..anotherrr question. I'm guessing the answer to this is... "its motoblur's fault..." hehe...but hopefully I can get some help...

How do I set up my contact list by manually adding everything myself and not making it synch every contact I have on my facebook and gmail? I don't mind the pictures being synched...but I'd really rather not have them sync EVERY single little thing... =/ Did I miss a certain setting?

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
no problem... you'll be a pro in no time.

i still haven't rooted my Atrix and while typing this, i think i just may do it when it's done charging. lol.

don't need to, but i get bored easily and want to tinker. haha.

Ha, that is the case with me as well... I like to tinker...and here I am now with a rooted phone...with adeo...and gingerbread theme on it. Took a while but it wasn't as hard as it looked. :) good luck with your phone, don't brick it :p

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Not really a good way to pick and choose. You could always sync, delete the ones you don't want, then export your contacts to SD to you can have a backup. On FB, there is a setting in the app that will let you only sync with existing contacts. Me, I just keep everything synced with gmail and go with that.

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Not really a good way to pick and choose. You could always sync, delete the ones you don't want, then export your contacts to SD to you can have a backup. On FB, there is a setting in the app that will let you only sync with existing contacts. Me, I just keep everything synced with gmail and go with that.

Where is the setting to only sync with existing contacts? Can't find it...

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Ha, that is the case with me as well... I like to tinker...and here I am now with a rooted phone...with adeo...and gingerbread theme on it. Took a while but it wasn't as hard as it looked. :) good luck with your phone, don't brick it :p
Lol... luckily my phone will exchange my phone for me, even after the 30 days if I brick it.

I'm still trying to figure out what I really want to root it for. I like the device as is and I don't want to effect battery life. Hmmm...

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Settings >> Accounts (on phone, not FB)

Hmm...that setting isn't there though? What happens if I delete all accounts under MotoBlur? What does that change?

Edit: I think I just figured it out...so I removed Facebook from my motoblur account. Now all my contacts from Facebook are gone except for the ones I manually added myself. However I wish the contacts I add will be the only ones that are sycned. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to achieve here? :/

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
yup... from the accounts, correct? that's where i did it. Blur does all that crazy stuff when you add FB through Blur.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19