Hey, my name is Scott Norcross and I own a Motorola atrix 4g. Im probably like most of you and have had my atrix since launch day. I've absolutely noticed that my so called 4g device is ridiculously slow, and I'm in a so called hspa + area (Philly). How can this be? I am aware that I am definitely not alone on this one. I've read almost every forum available about this issue. So I wanted to start my own thread and see how many more unhappy customers are out there and want to speak their mind or vent a little bit. Don't get me wrong. Motorola made an amazing device, and its probably my favorite android phone to date. But I can't keep sitting here while at&t continues to rape us with their false advertisement and complete disregard of the issue at hand. I really don't want to have to give it back to at&t , and the fact that I'm over the 30 day return policy, but I will if I have to, and I'm getting to the point where I don't care if it cost me an arm and a leg to get out. I just can't keep paying a carrier that doesn't give a **** about us and doesn't give us any type of gameplan they may have to fix this debacle. Ill go to Verizon and get a real 4g lte android smartphone if they keep this up. I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about this crime. Thank you
    03-24-2011 11:31 PM
    I don't know why you were under the impression that Philly has HSPA+ service. They don't show it on their site 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T click on the map. You'll see that only a few cities have 4g coverage right now (Baltimore and Buffalo for example). If you had a rep who gave you misinformation try taking it back for a refund. Otherwise just sit tight and wait for their rollout to complete.
    Here's a FAQ from there site that should answer some questions as well http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...ionId=KB115951
    03-25-2011 07:18 AM
    the 4G is on paper lol nowhere else man we gotta wait long time...haha
    03-25-2011 09:29 AM
    I understand your frustration. Unfortunately here in eastern Idaho we're even further behind the times. For the last 3 years I've tolerated an iPhone on Edge. Buying the Atrix just happens to correspond with AT&T turning on the new 3G towers here. Infinitely better than Edge, but it'll probably be beyond the lifetime of this phone before we see 4G around here.
    03-25-2011 09:48 AM
    @chemicaldave
    That att coverage map is horse ****. It is nowhere near that here in dallas.

The problem is that att has intentionally "lost" the 3g and edge symbols that are supposed to be displayed above the signal bars on our device. Here is a quote from "mburris" on xda forums:
    The fact "H+" is shown has nothing to do with towers or markets.

by looking through the framework images (shown below), they have completely replaced the 3G or H (without a Plus next to it) with an "H+" icon.

So it doesn't matter if you are on 3G, HSPA, or HSPA+, it will display "H+"

notice the lack or "3G" or "H"
    How does that feel? Our phone has been programmed by att to lie to us and make us think we have 4g when we don't. That is one reason we are expecting more performance out of the network than we are receiving.

If you want to know what network you are operating on right now then hit menu, settings, about phone, and status. Mine shows HSDPA even though I am clearly inside the "4g" coverage area on that att map. There is an app available in the market that I recommend to all atrix owners. It's called "Mobile Signal Widget" by Emperical. It will allow you to have a box on your screen that shows your signal in bars and db, and it shows what network you are really on. I used both the widget and the menu to watch as I drove all across the south side of Dallas/Fort Worth over this weekend. I NEVER GOT H+ AT ALL. I didn't go to the north side, but I may make a trip this weekend just to see. The entire area I drove shows coverage on that att map.
    03-25-2011 11:00 AM
    Living in Chicago and 4g on my atrix is just a touch faster than 3G on my ATT N1.
    03-25-2011 01:21 PM
    If you want real four gee speed you will need to switch carriers. .....nothing new here.

Used the atrix here in SF andthe down speed was not even in the Ltd ballpark. They should call it what it is... 3g.
    03-25-2011 03:23 PM
    I live across the river from NYC the 4G coverage is almost non exixtent.3G is acceptable its not super slow but not like VZW at all so yea.I feel everyones pain with att's slow speeds but maybe soon since they bought T-mobile we will see an improvement......
    03-25-2011 05:05 PM
    I'm really starting to think j should go to att and demand a refund and out of my contract for the blatant lies. I'd much rather be with Verizon with Lte or sprints wi-max. They have way better phones anyway which get much faster speeeds. I'm seriously tired of att bull****.I want out!
    03-27-2011 10:50 PM
    And our phones are even more crippled because att chose to launch the atrix without have hsupa enabled and forgot to tell us. I really hope that hsupa makes some difference in what I'm seeing now, because our upload speeds are absolutely laughable. I havent even decided if am going to stick around to find out. Its ashamed. The atrix is such a badass phone that att just couldn't help but ruin. Baffled.
    03-27-2011 10:59 PM
    @chemicaldave
    That att coverage map is horse ****. It is nowhere near that here in dallas.

The problem is that att has intentionally "lost" the 3g and edge symbols that are supposed to be displayed above the signal bars on our device. Here is a quote from "mburris" on xda forums:

How does that feel? Our phone has been programmed by att to lie to us and make us think we have 4g when we don't. That is one reason we are expecting more performance out of the network than we are receiving.

If you want to know what network you are operating on right now then hit menu, settings, about phone, and status. Mine shows HSDPA even though I am clearly inside the "4g" coverage area on that att map. There is an app available in the market that I recommend to all atrix owners. It's called "Mobile Signal Widget" by Emperical. It will allow you to have a box on your screen that shows your signal in bars and db, and it shows what network you are really on. I used both the widget and the menu to watch as I drove all across the south side of Dallas/Fort Worth over this weekend. I NEVER GOT H+ AT ALL. I didn't go to the north side, but I may make a trip this weekend just to see. The entire area I drove shows coverage on that att map.
    I've seen the Edge "E" symbol appear several times trying to download apps while in my office.
    03-28-2011 08:45 AM
    Im hoping that AT&Ts fix there gonna push out in April will address the speeds with the HSUPA update.
    03-28-2011 09:28 AM
    Im hoping that AT&Ts fix there gonna push out in April will address the speeds with the HSUPA update.
    Me too. Today was my 30th day. So they have me locked in now.
    03-28-2011 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD