Atrix or Thunderbolt?

Captcha Your Soul

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Which should I spring for?

I had the Thunderbolt for a little while and loved it (but I was coming from a slow OG Droid).

I had to return it because VZW's billing system accidentally locked me into a 2 yr instead of a 1yr and the rep said I had to return and reorder the phone to get a 1yr like I wanted to.

So now I could either reorder the Thunderbolt or get the Atrix.

These are the things that concern me about the Atrix:
1) PenTile QHD Screen which is apparantly not very good
2) Both FFC and Back Cameras which are apparantly not very good (and only VGA/5mp compared to the 1.3/8mp on the TB)
3)Locked bootloader, no custom kernels to overclock, etc

Right now I'm leaning Thunderbolt because it is completely unlocked and over/under clockable. Even though it's only a single core processor, I could get it on a 1yr contract and upgrade to the latest and greatest in a year when dual core and all will be relevant. It has better cameras and a better screen. However the battery is iffy, so that is one concern I have about it.

So yeah, what do you folks have to convince me to get an Atrix?

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the Thunderbolt's screen, a friend of mine recently got one at my suggestion. I've also seen the Atrix's screen. The Atrix wins, hands down, in clarity, accuracy, and use of screen real estate. The Thunderbolt's resolution is way too low for a screen that size, it makes things look oversized and goofy IMO.

From what I've heard, the Atrix has been hitting at least >16 hours of battery life for most while most Thunderbolt users can't seem to get it above 10 hours without neutering it... and overclocking won't help that any.

Despite not having any custom kernels the dev scene over at XDA for this phone is fairly lively, and that's something else to consider.

Personally, Verizon is a must for me, so I will be waiting for the Bionic... But IMO, the Atrix beats the Thunderbolt easily. The camera issue isn't that big to me though, so I'm more willing to forgive that. The Bionic will have an 8mp back camera, though.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea I havent used the thunderbolt but I keep hearing it's pretty damn good.I got the Atrix because I'm on at&t and didnt really want to unlock any phones or go through the whole process.Verizon does have an awsome network that I wish I was still on but they charge too much and put so much crap on their phones too.The atrix IMO has the second best screen resolution aside from the iphone.I would point you towards the Atrix tho it works really fast.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
almost seems like you've made your decision, but i did have a chance to pick up a tbolt, but i didn't care for it at all. the screen is too big. the 4' is the perfect size for me on the atrix. the dual-core is another plus and honestly, HTC's quality wasn't ever that good.

i was a manager for AT&T and HTC had the most smartphone complaints of all our smartphones. heck, look at the nexus one and the screen issues that it had. that was the phone i had prior to the atrix. the accuracy sucked! motorola to me had great quality, voice and build. i would get people calling me and telling me that the razr was a workhorse. it was abused and abused some more and would be in perfect working condition. their UI, software and phone design were always the issue. to me, they're definitely getting there in all those categories.

the reason HTC got so big was because they made and still do make some sexy devices! 8525, tilt, etc..

the cingular 3125 was my favorite.