Hi, I'm a longtime iPhone user on AT&T and I am thinking about switching to Android. The Atrix seems to be the best option at the moment, but I have some questions about switching, especially about the limitations AT&T puts on Android. My main concern is that I heard AT&T disables side loading which makes the Amazon appstore useless. Can this be avoided by rooting? Is there anything else AT&T doesn't allow that can't be avoided?

Also, can Blur be disabled by rooting?

Thanks!
    04-06-2011 08:47 AM
    Slightly limited, yes, but it will have waaaay more freedom than your iphone ever did. I'm pretty sure the sideload wonder machine works for the atrix, plus AT&T and Amazon are working out how to get the Amazon store on their phones.

I'd say it's definitely worth checking out, you have 30 days to return it if you aren't happy. Grab it and let the android community help you customize it and I don't think you'll return it.

Oh, and blur can be disabled by rooting, although the newest software update hasn't been rooted (yet).
    Spocket likes this.
    04-06-2011 09:38 AM
    side loading is easy to get around.. i've done it multiple times and have amazon app store loaded on it.
    04-06-2011 10:30 AM
    I do not like flash, but it is so pervasive on the web, that Apple refusal to support it makes the I-phone not much more than an overpriced walkman/phone combo.

I was tempted for the longest time, but resisted. A few of my friends have I-phones, and after toying a bit, figured it was overpriced and incomplete. I just purchased the Atrix a few days ago, and it trumps what I have seen on I-phones, hands-down. This thing has a real HDMI and USB port, not an overpriced proprietary port to gouge you at every turn. The biggest caveat, to me, is the Media Link sync software from Motorola. It's quite awful, but it is nowhere near as restrictive as I-Tunes, which I also despise with a passion that cannot be expressed.

I believe that choosing an Atrix is a no-brainer, but I must confess that I'm not much of a hacker. Rooting is not in my plans either. I don't think my phone's locked-down; my provider seems to be less restrictive than AT&T, but I could be wrong.

The phone lacks support for FLAC audio, but it plays CD audio's native WAV files, and it's DAC yields quite a good quality playback when used with decent earphones. Playing media on the TV via HDMI is straightforward and works beautifully. I'm using Opera mini as browser, Ulysse Gizmos for GPS, Epinephrine for messenging, AndRecorder for a Dictaphone and the default apps and widgets for the rest. On my version, there is even a ready-to-use app to tether Wi-fi devices to the Internet using the phone's data connexion.

Just my 2 cents.
    04-06-2011 11:17 AM
    sideloading is easy, I do it all the time via this method:
    hxxp://forum.androidcentral.com/android-sideload-wonder-machine/40770-ac-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html#post406415

replace"xx" with "tt"
    04-06-2011 03:14 PM
    I have no problems loading apps and updating apps using the Sideload Wonder Machine. I too have no plans to root, but it is possible and will probably be possible again now that the new update breaks that.

My iPhone is chilling on my desktop and will probably be putting it up for sale in a week or so.
    04-06-2011 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD