Atrix not selling well

Freakish Gnome

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
DroidMatters: Atrix 4G not selling well

I think they can blame AT&T 100% for the Atrix not selling like it should be. Crippled with excessively priced accessories. They never have these problems with other carriers, and I see manufacturers shying away from AT&T in the near future. Honestly, I don't blame them.

Sucks though, means far less focus on updates. I'm afraid our little beasts are gonna be dead in 6 months. Too bad.

Last edited:

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
that stinks..my first droid going to go up like a puff of smoke... the original droid is going to have a longer shelf life than this

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Accessories are very highly priced. But, in my opinion, "MotoBlur" and Motorola's awful Sync software might also be at work. I did not make any research, and bought the phone on impulse. My experience with the bad Motorola software with my old phone came to mind, but I dismissed it as something they surely had worked-out by now, specially for such a high end phone.

I was Wrong. I love the phone, hate the sync software and Motoblur with a passion. I will be making more research for my next phone, and just might drop Motorola because of the software issue, however, my last phone lasted 7 years, so there is a better side to Motorola's, and that's the hardware.

This said, if people do more research than I did, and read about how bad Media Link is, and are still peeved-off about their last Motorola software, they might very well shy away from it. I also feel that Reviews have come down really hard on this phone, and a lot of that seems to be because of the lapdock' trackpad not working up to par with a full-fledged laptop, or the price of the devices. I still believe this phone is quite the "winner", but then again, this is my first Android set, so who the heck am I to criticize the critics anyway ?

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If the Atrix is not selling as well as expected, it is a combination of Moto and AT&T screwing things up. The signed bootloader, overpriced accessories, Motoblur, and utter silence from Motorola on significant issues has hurt sales or caused users to return their handsets. AT&T's goat roped launch, tiered data plans, crippled speeds, "4G" service, and lies promulgated by its PR machine has turned people away (as well as a few stomachs).

I'm not at all surprised that sales are reporting poorly for the Atrix.

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This phone is totally neglected in the stores. The salesman always recommend the Inspire to people instead of the atrix. I think the laptop dock was the biggest mistake by motorolla, because it has been the focus of selling this phone to people, and it's a terribly useless accessory.

mullinsmcd

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If this analyst is right and sales are poor, I disagree with those that say that the Moto software is to blame or the critics were too harsh. For me the Atrix has delivered on every promise that was provided from their corp offices and from the reviewers in the form of power and capabilities. If anything has hampered it's success it's the stress on the laptop doc which should have spent more time in the R&D oven. Switching the marketing campaign to have a different, sexier focus vs appealing to the nerds would have been a better move. I think Atrix will be one of those devices that tracks well with those who buy it but never reaches a market saturation point.

As a side note all of the fanboys should take note of this. Realize that much of the news we hear from the tech shows, from sites like AC, and others may seem like they are hitting a mass market but in reality most of its just in an echo chamber. When I found out they were only sending 2 of these to my local radio shack on launch I realized they did not pierce the general public's 'radar' even with huge spreads in the WSJ and constant TV commercials.

hotcoffee

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe some of the bugs and bad phones are causing sales issues for Motorola. If you check the Motorola forum for the Atrix, you will see a number of issues that have not yet been addressed. When people do Internet searches, they can easily get hits on voice quality issues and connection issues. It is not a good thing for these problems to be so heavily discussed about a new phone. If Motorola is aggressive in getting some of the early kinks worked out, I think the Atrix will be fine. HSUPA is supposed to be enabled this month, and there is still the promise of an eventual upgrade to Android 2.3. The Atrix is a potentially great phone. I do not think the laptop and HD dock reviews are hurting them that much because most people don't want those anyway.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the accessories part.I wouldnt be so stupid as to buy all that over priced junk when I can just use my work or home or even schoool PC.The whole bootloadr thing really sucks especially since I'm new to this and well I wish it wasnt like this.
The phone itself is really great I've only dealt with little minor things here and there.
Its pretty fast and i guess its cause of the cpu.The phone has not froze or messed up at all since i got it.The battery lasts me about 15 hours and that me using it to go online and watch youtube and play games,so its pretty good.
However I do see the sales not doing good noone pays any attention to it at the store i go to or even try to sell it to anyone too.Its good because I dont want to see another tool on the subway with the same phone so I'm a happy camper.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
It would be interesting to know what others setups are like as I hear people complaining about the Motorola sync software and it works great for me. For myself I am on a MacBook Pro with the latest updates installed.

I agree the Laptop dock is expensive but I still bought one and love it. In most cases it's most useful than my Xoom or iPad.

For just about every report put out by an analyst you can find another one that states the opposite opinion. Lastly I'm amazed that so many sites don't think for themselves and just repost the same story where is the proof but then again we are talking about the Internet, you dont need proof just a blog and you can say whatever you want.

darylgo

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone remember the Apple Newton

Back in the 1980's a complany named Apple introduced a device that flopped by all standards. Too expensive and the promoted feature was handwriting recognition. Once the press saw how poorly the recognition worked they wrote it off as a flop. Sound familiar. The dock is disappointing....the phone is a flop. But wait, as a phone it is great, still it doesn't matter because it has already been labeled a flop. Secondly, price. The Newton was too expensive also.
The Newton went on to be a niche device loved by many but not enough to overcome it's original flop label.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This phone is totally neglected in the stores. The salesman always recommend the Inspire to people instead of the atrix. I think the laptop dock was the biggest mistake by motorolla, because it has been the focus of selling this phone to people, and it's a terribly useless accessory.
Exactly what happened to me even after I said I came to get the Atrix, he kept pushing the Inspire.

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what happened to me even after I said I came to get the Atrix, he kept pushing the Inspire.

My experience has been the opposite at my ATT store. Every time I go in to look at Android phones (upgrade time coming) I talk about the Inspire and the salespeople want to route me to the Atrix. I've read so much negative stuff on AC about this phone that I have foolishly rejected it out of hand. I've started to dig a little deeper, read more reviews from other sources, etc., and I'm going to re-visit the Atrix. My ATT experience has been good and far exceeds my experience with Verizon so I'm reluctant to switch carriers.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Some sources say the Atrix isnt selling well. Then I read a source the other day that said Both parties "AT&T and Verizon" say the Atrix 4G and the Xoom are both doing well for them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance