HTC ThunderBolt having 4G connection issues on Verizon.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
HTC ThunderBolt having 4G connection issues on Verizon. It looks like HTC and Verizon have another huge failure on their hands, that's to bad. It looks like the phone will be dead by August and all those poor people who bought another underwhelming HTC device will be left stranded with no upgrades. Oh well.

HTC ThunderBolt having 4G connection issues - Phone Arena

"We've been using the HTC ThunderBolt for a little over three weeks now, and even though it has a lot to offer....not everything has been roses. As we mentioned in our review, the first unit we received had a defective earpiece speaker that made a buzzing/rattling sound, which was replaced with a new unit. This solved the issue (mostly) as long as the volume isn't turned up too high.

Since then, we've mostly used the data part of the ThunderBolt, and under heavy use we are having to charge the phone every 4-6 hours. Otherwise if it just in standby mode without much use, we can get about 18-20 hours on a charge. Some people have reported that their units are overheating, though our demo unit has not experienced this.

But there is one problem that we've been having on-and-off, and it appears we're not alone. For some (unknown) reason, the ThunderBolt will cycle from using 4G LTE, to 3G, to 1x (as shown on the top of the display) and then eventually go back to 4G LTE. We've seen this happen with the phone just sitting on our desk, at our friend's house, or if we are out driving. This started about a week after our review, and has continued since then. We've looked some on-line forums, and found a few posts from other people on the Verizon Wireless Community forums (here, here, and here), and also on the HTC Forums (here and here) that are having similar problems.

What's interesting is that some people, who use their phone in a 4G area, are having the same issue as us, with it not staying on 4G, and cycling to 3G and 1x. But for people who only use their phone in a 3G area, it is having problems staying on 3G and sometimes changes to 1x."

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but you sound like a ridiculous Atrix fanboy. My Thunderbolt has been rock solid with 4G here in Houston, TX, all around town. The only way I drop to 3G is if I force it myself via an app from the market, to conserve battery life.

My only complaint of the phone is the short battery life but I can live with it for the amazing 4G speeds and I am mostly always near a charger.

Anyways, its not like the Atrix is any better with ATT's pathetic upload speeds. It has superior hardware, but on a poor network sadly. I would have loved to get the Atrix if it were on VZW with LTE. Even the Bionic will only have half the ram of the Atrix. : (

Freakish Gnome

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, this doesn't belong in the atrix forum. Tired of seeing other phone bashing, its just silly. What will it accomplish other than trying to make others feel bad about their purchase? Maybe justify yours?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If you look at Dude2's other post directed at "Freaking Gnome" in http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-atrix/75492-just-getting-painful-2.html, this post wouldn't surprise you.

tl;dr Agreed, doesn't belong here. The Thunderbolt is a great phone in of itself. Hell, even the Backflip is good for some people. Don't phone bash, it comes off as immature.. :\ also, while we're at it, don't carrier bash either; each carrier will have better coverage for different people in different areas. AT&T is fine and well for me where I live, but most likely sucks oval objects in another place in the US. No big deal. Just facts.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for helping to make my points. Technology is usually a leap frog situation for the companies who are serious about the marketplace in a particular industry. Just wanted to regurgitate the words of the "sky is falling crowd".

No network or handset is perfect right now. Hopefully they all trend to being better over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz