Atrix number 2 going back to Moto

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having to send the Atrix that I just got swapped out at an AT&T store 2 weeks ago. This one is having serious problems with the screen. It acts like the phone is having a seizure. It will click on things by its self and go from screen to screen, often getting stuck between 2 screens. The 4 buttons on the bottom often go unresponsive during the whole ordeal. This really sucks because I like this phone a lot. I am hoping that they don't send me a refurbished phone and that what ever they send me works...

Edit to add: I uninstalled almost everything on the phone, and don't have a screen cover or anything like that on.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Dont give up on the Atrix really. There are some that will have issues, but not everyone is like that. Theres a lot of satisfied people with the Atrix so just know that there are lemons. I feel for you though. I got the Moto Xoom and once I was using it, there was a cloudy black spot that no matter what I would do, it wouldnt go away. It hurt me so bad to make the decision of sending it back through the mail to return it for an exchange. Thats how much I loved it. But the process was so smooth, it just takes the time to wait. Patience. I dont have any. But for a $600 tablet, I NEED it to be proper lol. And it sure is a beast! I get the brand new replacement Tuesday :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
There are always lemons out there, this is true for any device. I actually went through 3 iPhone 4's to finally get one without issues. Still have my original 3gs "wife" with none, this is just a fact of life, stuff happens. I can tell you that IMO the Atrix is a brilliant device.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am having to send the Atrix that I just got swapped out at an AT&T store 2 weeks ago. This one is having serious problems with the screen. It acts like the phone is having a seizure. It will click on things by its self and go from screen to screen, often getting stuck between 2 screens. The 4 buttons on the bottom often go unresponsive during the whole ordeal. This really sucks because I like this phone a lot. I am hoping that they don't send me a refurbished phone and that what ever they send me works...

Edit to add: I uninstalled almost everything on the phone, and don't have a screen cover or anything like that on.

This is becoming an increasingly apparent problem with the Atrix.

Check out this thread, over on the Motorola corporate Atrix forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/48693

There are folks who have returned their Atrixes multiple times and had the identical problem with the replacements, right out of the box. Moto refuses to acknowledge there is a problem, just as they have done with the muffled voice problem, which so many have complained about.

In each case, the Moto "solution" is to take the phone back for a replacement. I don't want to seem negative, because I like the Atrix. But IMO, the big silence by Moto, on their own forum, tells me there will be no fix for these problems.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
"In each case, the Moto "solution" is to take the phone back for a replacement."
Well... i called motorola a few times myself and they never provided me with any helpfull solutions to my issues. When you talk to these guys it feels like they are actually reading you general help guidelines so after a a few minutes talking with them you realise that you're wasting your time and cell minutes... not mention the fact that these guys are not even in United States... outsourcing you know....

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've already posted elsewhere that my own Atrix has a variant of this screen touch problem. The only reason I haven't taken it back for an exchange is that mine isn't annoying enough for me to risk getting another Atrix with an even worse problem.

These are such incredibly sophisticated devices, that it's a crap shoot what you might end up with, when you open the box. It seems like there is a great deal of variablity in the quality of manufacture, probably due to all the sophisticated technology. A far cry from the old days of vacuum tube black-and-white TV's, which I'm old enough to remember quite well, and which we thought was the height of high tech! lol

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The girl on tech support tried to get me to reset my phone. The problem was that when she would have me put the battery back in it kept turning back on when I put the battery back in. I finally got it to not turn on, and when she walked me through the steps of the recovery, it wouldn't work.
It was acting up so bad while I was on the phone with her that at one point I couldn't turn the phone off. When I pressed the button, and the menu came up the dimmed background was going crazy and the menu was unresponsive. I had to pull the battery to get it off.
I understand these things happen, with anything. But honestly, 2 times in 3 months? Then I am having to trade my 2 week old phone in for a refurb?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Lets be civil here guys. There are people that have the Atrix without serious problems, including myself. Some just have issues, like the other poster said all devices that are mass produced will have some that have issues. If you return a few and are still complaining, I think its bad luck that your having. Or that person in particular has OCD (like me) and wants everything to be perfect. I will say, I dont have major problems with mine. So just knowing that one person doesnt, shows hope that there are good devices out there. Sometimes you get bad ones, it happens. But if its a hassle, Most will move on to another device. Its technology. Machines make these things and sometimes, they screw up.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
....There are some that will have issues, but not everyone is like that. Theres a lot of satisfied people with the Atrix so just know that there are lemons....

....Some just have issues, like the other poster said all devices that are mass produced will have some that have issues....

....Machines make these things and sometimes, they screw up....

....There are always lemons out there, this is true for any device.....IMO the Atrix is a brilliant device....

the above are just not valid, logical responses.

the phones are computers, 0's and 1's. period.

unless an assembly line change is made, unit 500,000 should be identical to unit one. if not, it is poor quality materials used to push the product out the door and to market.

the phone, +/- 60 days post launch, is still a 'flagship' item with att holding the $199 (with 2yr sub) price point .

if your store bought desktop/laptop did what the atrix is doing, you'd not be making excuses, but you'd be demanding replacements/refunds/jumping to a different vendor.

the more i read, the more the issue seems to be component quality and not software, as some report no problems with the atrix.

think about it: quality control of the components is the only possible common issue.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
@wpbfjr:

I agree. I think this is a hardware issue, and there is no software update fix.

You notice that Moto/ATT were brought around to agreeing to an OTA update to turn on the HSUPA radio, because they could do the fix with software. But on the muffled talk sound and this screen issue, there is nothing but denial and "return it for a replacement", as the Moto solution.

I bet the only fix is a re-design and a recall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, to my knowledge, there has never been such a thing in the handset business, over a hardware defect.

When there was all that controversy over the iPhone "antennagate", Steve Jobs' solution was to tell everyone to hold the phone in a different way.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
See the thing is the Muffled Sound and Screen Issue, My Atrix does not have. So If mine and others doesnt have that problem, and some others does then if it came down to it you should send it back for a replacement. I dont think software would fix that because theres already other phones running the same exact software and dont have the problem. There just lemon devices. It happens.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
In reply to that video posted on youtube: Sounds dumb I guess, but have you tried replacing the launcher with something else? ADW, LauncherPro, Go EX, Regina Launcher? If it doesn't fix it it must be an actual screen or phone problem and you should get it replaced. If my phone did that, I'd risk getting another one...what's the risk? "Oh, damn, I got one with the problem again", and try another.

Reactions: Terrigno

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree jonneh. Thats why warrenty is good to have. You pay a good price for it. Take it back over and over till you get a good one because there are good ones out there. And theres people to prove it. It can be frustrating, but its worth doing it for what you spent.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah..cause my phone definitely hasn't ever done that, and if it did, I'd be pretty upset about my purchase.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I ditched mine. After the update, the screen became unresponsive while plugged into anything. This meant that charging and using my phone became impossible, and that was only made worse when I couldn't make it through a whole work day on a single charge.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Take it back over and over till you get a good one because there are good ones out there.

this logic escapes me.

a phone is reasonably expected to work correctly out of the box, and every time over and over again.

the above comment reinforces the futility of the atrix as a stable device. why should a customer have to spend hours getting a working copy of a flagship phone?

"hi, my name is bob, after 6 phones that took over 10 hours of lost wages spent driving on round trip visits to att, i'm a totally satisfied customer."

the hardware is faulty.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting on the replacement to come in the mail. For half of the day the phone worked great then it started doing it's crazy stuff again. I rebooted and took the battery out for a few minutes and it went right back to it when it re booted.
What's worse, while at work today I scanned my finger, it came up to the home screen. It then opened the google widget by its self then started searching "ww" all by its self. "WWII Dates" came up in the auto suggestion thing and it selected that then photos and then selected a black and white photo of a bunch of naked people. All the while I am trying to press the home and back buttons which are unresponsive. I was able to get it to exit out. I was about to smash the damn thing into my desk. I had a bunch of really important people around me and my phone googling boobies on it's own could have got me into sexual harassment class. I'm getting fed up with this device.
Moto, you went 99yards and fumbled.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree jonneh. Thats why warrenty is good to have. You pay a good price for it. Take it back over and over till you get a good one because there are good ones out there. And theres people to prove it. It can be frustrating, but its worth doing it for what you spent.

Well lets see... I am paying $4.95 a month for phone jnsurance, I also was told by a few ATT csreps that i caan replace my phone only two times for for this type of ins. Aaaand this phone are not going to be the new ones but REFURB. after i exchanged them 2 times and still want to exchange again i will have to pay i believe $150 for each REFURB phone plus one of the reps also said it will reflect negatively on my account i dont exacly remember how though.... Now the question: are you on ATT? And if yes what type of insurance do you have with them and how much is that? I think in my case if there will be some serious issues with my phone i'll just try to go directly through Motorola since my warranty on this phone is up to 5/20/12 although that is also a very questionable thing since Motorola rep told me i have to do it through my carrier.....

Update: i think i remembered what the rep said, he said that it will reflect negatively on the posibility of an early line upgrade. But i can call them again to find out more though

Last edited: