Well, first lesson learned on my new Atrix: the alarm does not turn on the phone when it's time to sound off like it does on BlackBerry and iPhone. Guess who didn't know that? Yep...so I was 45 minutes late for work this morning.

No biggie...I just won't turn off the phone at night anymore...unless there's an alarm app that'll turn on the phone when the right time comes.

Otherwise, really digging this Atrix, my first Android device. Still reading, learning, and checking things out. I appreciate this forum, having been a LONG-time member of our sister site CrackBerry.
    04-28-2011 08:43 PM
    i feel your pain. my ancient moto w510 and k1 alarm on time from 'off'.

guess moto must of lost the alarm technology in the upgrade.
    04-28-2011 08:56 PM
    I must not be understanding your post. I use my Atrix as my alarm clock and when the alarm time comes, the phone wakes up and the music starts playing.

What am I missing?
    04-28-2011 09:41 PM
    I must not be understanding your post. I use my Atrix as my alarm clock and when the alarm time comes, the phone wakes up and the music starts playing.

What am I missing?
    He is turning the phone all the way off.

Sent from my Inspiration
    04-28-2011 09:44 PM
    Yeah. I really miss that from the BlackBerry.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    04-28-2011 10:00 PM
    I would suspect most old phones do this, but I recall that one post was about how the alarm is an app so it requires the system be running. If the alarm was a built in feature of the phone, then it should be able to function like the old phone alarms.
    04-28-2011 11:07 PM
    He is turning the phone all the way off.

Sent from my Inspiration
    Ah, that makes perfect sense. Didn't occur to me since I haven't shut off a cell phone for about 5 years. Reboots not withstanding.
    04-29-2011 05:18 AM
    So does anyone know of an app or mod out there that would turn on the phone when an alarm event occurs?
    04-29-2011 03:39 PM
    Who turns off Cell Phone's anymore????
    04-29-2011 04:56 PM
    I found an app called "Timeriffic". I'm checking it out. It basically disables all alerts except calls for periods you set. That's the closest thing I could find on the internet.
    04-29-2011 05:16 PM
    I use a combo of Tasker and Bedside ---- Tasker will watch for certain times and states in regard to actions on the phone, and at 11pm I have it start Bedside. Bedside silences all calls and texts except from those numbers you place on a whitelist. This allows me to receive calls and texts from my wife (if one of us is away), my son at college, and my mother while all others are silenced and waiting for me at 6:30am when I wake up and the sound comes back on. The only downside with Bedside is that it is running when it is monitoring calls/texts, so it is chewing on the battery -- I simply plug up my phone on the table by my bed each nite to charge for the next day, if I do not it can eat anywhere from 10-30% depending on battery size. Both of these programs will also work with alarm programs, and Tasker will also do things like read your Google Calendar for certain types of meetings and appointments and silence the phone or do many other things.
    04-29-2011 07:25 PM
    you should make sure that you dont have any calendar events that might go off while you are snoozing your alarm. for example, your alarm sounds and you hit snooze, then a couple of minutes later a calendar event sounds that you dont acknowledge, your alarm will not sound again. this has happened with my atrix so i make sure to schedule reminders at a safe time
    04-29-2011 08:13 PM
    I use a combo of Tasker and Bedside ---- Tasker will watch for certain times and states in regard to actions on the phone, and at 11pm I have it start Bedside. Bedside silences all calls and texts except from those numbers you place on a whitelist. This allows me to receive calls and texts from my wife (if one of us is away), my son at college, and my mother while all others are silenced and waiting for me at 6:30am when I wake up and the sound comes back on. The only downside with Bedside is that it is running when it is monitoring calls/texts, so it is chewing on the battery -- I simply plug up my phone on the table by my bed each nite to charge for the next day, if I do not it can eat anywhere from 10-30% depending on battery size. Both of these programs will also work with alarm programs, and Tasker will also do things like read your Google Calendar for certain types of meetings and appointments and silence the phone or do many other things.
    Thanks CV...sounds like Bedside is the app I'm looking for. Even if it doesn't turn on the phone, if can put it in something like BlackBerry's beside mode, that would work.
    04-29-2011 08:49 PM
    I found an app called "Timeriffic". I'm checking it out. It basically disables all alerts except calls for periods you set. That's the closest thing I could find on the internet.
    Cool...I'll check that on out in the market...
    04-29-2011 08:50 PM
    Turning off your phone and expecting the alarm to turn it on is totally ridiculous.

FYI iPhone does not do this.
    04-29-2011 11:04 PM
    Ah, that makes perfect sense. Didn't occur to me since I haven't shut off a cell phone for about 5 years. Reboots not withstanding.
    Totally agree.

Why turn off the phone? You know with the nighttime saver settings it will go into sleep mode and not sync data (unless you use it) while you sleep.

Why not also charge the phone while you sleep?

Lastly, who relies on a new alarm clock if you have a critical "cannot wake-up late or I will die" type of urgency? :P
    04-29-2011 11:12 PM
    Turning off your phone and expecting the alarm to turn it on is totally ridiculous.

FYI iPhone does not do this.
    BlackBerries have been doing this for years. And my iphone 3gs did too. Maybe you should get out more.
    04-29-2011 11:14 PM
    Totally agree.

Why turn off the phone? You know with the nighttime saver settings it will go into sleep mode and not sync data (unless you use it) while you sleep.

Why not also charge the phone while you sleep?

Lastly, who relies on a new alarm clock if you have a critical "cannot wake-up late or I will die" type of urgency? :P
    I just got the phone and haven't had time to explore all the settings. It's also my first android, having used blackberry and iphone for the past several years. I do charge it at night but didn't want event sounds going off while I tried to sleep, since i hadnt explored all the settings. That's why I turned it off. And I don't recall saying anything about any life and death meetings.

I hope some of you are happy now. I know it's difficult to imagine, but sometimes there are legitimate reasons for doing things differently than you might imagine. Fwiw this isn't my first rodeo.
    04-29-2011 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD