Trouble Updating

anon(175668)

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I am currently rooted on 4.1.57. After I downloaded the 4.1.83 update and went to install it, it rebooted and gave me a triangle with an exclamation point. I had to pull the battery to get it working again. Do I need to unroot before installing the update and if so, how do I go about that? I rooted using aRoot if that matters.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yea i think you had to unroot before but don't quote me on it.....sounds bad idk how to help hopefully someone drops you a line here

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am currently rooted on 4.1.57. After I downloaded the 4.1.83 update and went to install it, it rebooted and gave me a triangle with an exclamation point. I had to pull the battery to get it working again. Do I need to unroot before installing the update and if so, how do I go about that? I rooted using aRoot if that matters.
I was rooted using GladRoot and the update went fine. I did lose root with the update but that was expected.

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
you probably lost connect to wifi at some point and it didnt download it completely. have you tried to download it again?

(let my phone sit next to the modern to guarantee i have wifi connection.)

someone who is more knowledgeable will come in and shine some answer. good news is your phone isnt break.

dratsablive

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it could be the wifi since I was using it at work. I'm just going to try it again when I get home.

I was rooted and had the same problem, got the Exclamation screen. So I reset to stock, still had the same problem. I had replaced my Boot Splash, so even when I reset to stock, the boot splash stayed changed. I downloaded the Windows Updater software from Motorola, and that updated me to 4.1.57.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You should NOT update while rooted. Changes are made to the system that cause upgrade process to fail--this is expected behavior for rooted devices and OTA updates.

I flashed 4.1.8.3 via BSD. You can follow this thread. Follow the first few steps to grab the update. Use gingerbreak and gladenable for rooting and sideloading goodness.

dratsablive

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You might have to reset to stock, and attempt. If you still get the same problem, you may have to download the Windows Updater software from Motorola. It will probably update you to 4.1.57. Then you should be able to update to 4.1.83.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You might have to reset to stock, and attempt. If you still get the same problem, you may have to download the Windows Updater software from Motorola. It will probably update you to 4.1.57. Then you should be able to update to 4.1.83.

Don't bother doing that. Just go straight to 4.1.8.3... see my post above..

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to OTA with root, but you cannot have Greyblur installed or it will fail. Best practice, however, is to always OTA from a stock setup. I also recommend just flashing the 4.1.83 sbf and then Gingerbreak + Gladenable. I fully expect that the next update will break these exploits, so enjoy them while they're available.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You should NOT update while rooted. Changes are made to the system that cause upgrade process to fail--this is expected behavior for rooted devices and OTA updates..
I updated my rooted 1.2.6 to 1.5.7 and then my 1.5.7 to 1.8.3; OTA both times, no problems either time. I didn't have any other mods except side loading enabled.

anon(175668)

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the Motorola Update Manager for Windows and updated to 4.1.83 that way and it worked just fine. Of course I lost my root but I'm sure there will be a way very soon.