I GIVE UP!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
FLASH back to Stock 1.57 and update via wifi. if u cant follow these 2 steps. u should return ur phone and never buy an android again..

Um.....way to contribute something positive to the conversation. Person was stuck and just trying to get help. (By the way, I love joking and have done it on here plenty, your tone just doesn't seem to be joking, therefore, unnecessary.)

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the lack of contribution to a "HELP" type question. So justarookie, next time you're in a bind and looking for help, we'll keep your comments in mind.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@gvndeb60 .. How in the world could you identify "tone" in a typed forum message? LOL, I thought he was joking as would most. I do agree that he wasn't helpful as is this post, just the nature of forum posting I suppose. A little sarcasm is healthy IMHO.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well to be honest with you guys... If a person was able to succesfully load a custom ROM on her/his device... it would be logical to assume that this person should not have problems following such simple procedures as to reflashing back to 1.57 right? I mean i consider myself am android noob and i was able to find all info on downloading and flashing sbf, so it should not be that hard right? Just my 0.02$

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I'm used to the crackberry website, which had all the huge help threads (for when you nuked your berry or wanted to load a new OS version on it or whatever) in very convenient & obvious locations all over the site. I feel like Android Central doesn't quite have this "flashing the sbf file" guide really on here..I'll go ahead & admit I haven't found it, perhaps i'm blind, I don't mind you thinking that. But I had to go to a separate site & follow the guide posted there, and I only found that thanks to the a kind member here who linked me to it. Otherwise, it seems like new users who need help with this stuff are left to google their questions, rather than asking here & finding the info here.

Of course, in my personal situation, I was not (and still am not) rooted, know little-to-nothing about the process, etc, and was forced to find out how to "flash the sbf" simply because my atrix randomly rebooted once during editing WidgetLocker and would no longer boot past the "Dual Core" screen, giving me an error at the top each time. So, my point is, sure - maybe people should be able to figure this stuff out on their own if they've already been flashing roms/rooting and whatnot...but that's not always the case, as in my situation.

I think the stickies at the top of the forums are nice, but I've still yet to find a real guide like the one on XDA about what to do if your device will no longer turn on, or whatever your situation may be. Or, is it that it's a sticky in the actual rooting/hacking part of this forum, as a sub-forum? Perhaps that's why. Again, I would never have found that, because I was not interested in looking for ways to hack it, my device messed itself up, not the other way around...so I came to the general atrix forum for help.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw a little of both side of the argument around. :)

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if someone took the time to write an extensive guide for this process and also the process of flashing back to stock.I wouldnt mind rooting as long as I had some solid guidelines on how to and how to switch back.
My main reason for not rooting is because I keep reading up about people who rooted and have many issues with their devices afterward.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well i think the reason there is no extensive guide to rooting is because the process varies for each device (htc lg motorola etc...) and there are more than one rooting apps. Also with Atrix it sometimes not possible to root after the sertain update.. So one should really be looking and cheking various forums daily to see if someone came up for a way to root...
As to flashing back to stock I posted instructions with link (1.57) on one of the threads here after which you should be able to do the official update to 83.. But again like I said these two processes can not be performed the same way for every device and software version....
Well thats at least how I understand it...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Good point, I see what you're saying. Though, if we all have the atrix, shouldn't we technically be able to do the same process and have the same result? Or you're saying, even if we have the atrix, depending on which software version we have, it changes the process?
I know there are several different methods of rooting, and it gets even crazier (in terms of organization and orderly manner) if you consider different devices from different manufacturers, but if we're talking solely about the atrix, and solely about one root method, then there could be a guide posted up & stickied in here somewhere (pertaining to only atrix, only so&so_root_method), couldn't there? Again, I haven't stumbled into the root/hacking subforum yet, because I'm not looking to root, just here discussing the forum's setup lol. Overall, I'm very happy with the way things are run here and everything; I just think Crackberry was slightly more organized and more than a little bit more accessible in terms of loading OS's and lots of extremely informative guides on what to do when you've messed up (or, in my case, your phone magically messes itself up). Again, there ARE these extremely informative guides in existence, but they're on third party sites like XDA, and new users who are ignorant have to google search everything or come here asking for help because they can't simply find the info here.

But, like I said, I do agree that if you've flashed your custom ROMs before, you should really be able to flash yourself back to stock using the sbf file. However, in my case, I had never done any flashing or rooting before, and my phone needed to be restored using sbf anyhow. So, in my situation, being the ignorant android n00b I am (but still knowing how internet forums work), I came here and searched all over for some great guides like I was used to on crackberry.com, but to my surprise I couldn't find anything. So, naturally, my next step was to ask for help here. I guess my next step could've been to google search it, though. But this way, you get real-time help (or close to it) with a real person (or close to it :p).

However, if what you're saying is true, " Also with Atrix it sometimes not possible to root after the sertain update.." and "But again like I said these two processes can not be performed the same way for every device and software version....", then perhaps you're right, there's just not a convenient way to write up a guide on this stuff for the atrix.

Also, "As to flashing back to stock I posted instructions with link (1.57) on one of the threads here after which you should be able to do the official update to 83." -- is it stickied somewhere? I don't see it. I mean, I don't need it right now, but maybe it should be stickied for people.

At the very least, though, I'd think the XDA guide could be cross-posted here with permission (I believe I remember many guides on crackberry being like that, though perhaps I'm wrong). Again, if I've just missed all these great guides on AC somewhere, please forgive me, once I gave up searching I just quit. There is definitely a chance I've missed it somewhere.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Or you're saying, even if we have the atrix, depending on which software version we have, it changes the process?

yes it actually does... it appears that it was not possible to root 1.57 just as simple as previous version, as a matter of fact, people had to reflash to the previous version, root it and then update to 1.57.. so that how it was done... I dont know about 1.83 though as i am not planning to root my phone (happy with just using SWM) But i did root it (and unrooted) with version before 1.57 and it took me exactly 1 minute to do that, no hassle..
Also the link i've posted here is not a sticky. its just a single post with link with instructions which are not even mine... (everything is on that webpage) here it is: Exclusive: Motorola Atrix 4G 1.5.7 OTA Update - BriefMobile very simple...
and on the contrary I like google things and find as many different opinions/ways as possible. Being an IT tech (unemployed at this time though LOL) I always refer to lots of forums and google whatever difficulties i am having with a problem... As some people say "google is your best friend" LOL and i think its true :)

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Haha, point taken. :) Thanks for that link btw. So the process actively changes depending on which updates you've used on your phone, which makes sense I guess since Motorola attempts to block the root access, I guess? Thanks again. :)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeahh i dont understand the whole idea about blocking the root.. perhaps for security reasons... but i think a consumer should have an easy access to the device operations outofthebox after all we pay our money for a flagship device and not being able to utilize all features.. thats just wrong... locking root and bootloader especially...

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
@gvndeb60 .. How in the world could you identify "tone" in a typed forum message? LOL, I thought he was joking as would most. I do agree that he wasn't helpful as is this post, just the nature of forum posting I suppose. A little sarcasm is healthy IMHO.

I was using my super powers to read their mind. I think lots of sarcasm is healthy and I love to read people busting others chops, I just think that the one post was serious, it was "do this and get lost". I thought the OP had a good post asking for help( we have all been there) and people were helping and this one person comes on and slams them. This is just my opinion, I just think that treatment should stay on XDA(love that forum, but nothing but other people calling each other stupid). We all have our Forest Gump moments, some more than others.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
LOL yea i dont like when people act like tools when others ask questions its a forum for a reason.As for a guide you're right there are different methods and its prolly way too crazy to write and re write everytime an upgrade comes around.That's one thing Crackberry had done very well in organizing.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
LOl as far as I remember from messing with my BB bold 9000/9700/ it was all pretty simple, just used BBSAK to load leaked OS no rooting or bootloader unlocking required... wish it was that easy for android phones.... LOL

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I was using my super powers to read their mind. I think lots of sarcasm is healthy and I love to read people busting others chops, I just think that the one post was serious, it was "do this and get lost". I thought the OP had a good post asking for help( we have all been there) and people were helping and this one person comes on and slams them. This is just my opinion, I just think that treatment should stay on XDA(love that forum, but nothing but other people calling each other stupid). We all have our Forest Gump moments, some more than others.

Very well put ... I totally agree.

phatboy-p

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeahh i dont understand the whole idea about blocking the root.. perhaps for security reasons... but i think a consumer should have an easy access to the device operations outofthebox after all we pay our money for a flagship device and not being able to utilize all features.. thats just wrong... locking root and bootloader especially...

Phone companies break root because they expose a security flaw. If you can access the root files so can a malicious application. I agree that people should have access to whatever they want on their phone, but n00bs who just want stock deserve a secure phone.

As for gaining root, Gingerbreak works on all versions of Android at 2.3.2 and below. It exposes a major flaw in Android that probably won't be patched until Ice Cream comes out.
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
the OP got pretty clear instructions from the very beginning. it is his/her bussines whether to follow them or not. so it doesnt really matter if following posts are sarcastic or not LOl that wont change anything :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech