I've owned the Atrix now for about 3-weeks. Yesterday on my way home I was listening to music (I ride a bus). The ride was about an hour and I fell asleep with the Atrix in my shirt pocket, under my suit jacket. Everything seemed fine except, as has been noted often with this phone, it was quite hot. Later last night however I noticed that I had a problem. I've been trying to figure out how to synch my music from ITunes to the phone. After several attempts I produced multiple copies of certain songs - those songs that reside in playlists - even though I'm not syching the playlists. I decided to do another synch but wanted to delete all the music on the phone first. When I attempted to look at the file structure on the phone - something I obviously don't understand for some reason - I couldn't find the files. I went into setup to see how I was configured - though I already knew - and saw that the SD card was not mounted and that the settings were grayed out. I did a full reboot and got an error message "Preparing SD card" "Checking for errors." This has persisted. I shut down the phone, removed the card and inserted into my laptop. Windows 7 detected the card, but was unable to format it. It would not read the card either. I'm assuming that the SD card is bad. I think that's a "no brainer". However it appears to me that there might have been a connection between the heat and the failure of the SD card. I haven't seen any threads making this direct connection. The SD card is a PNY 16 GB. Maybe the issue has to do with the quality of the SD card. To that end, does anyone have an opinion concerning its quality?
    05-19-2011 10:22 AM
    My phone ate two Patriot 16gb class 10 cards that I had purchased from Newegg. I had the same issues that you are having. During the "checking for errors" screen, the phone would hang, and then reboot, only to start all over. Both cards initially worked, then quit within a month. In the Newegg forums, Patriot tech support mentioned that it was an SD card firmware issue. It seems to be a widespread problem, as far as I can see.
    05-19-2011 12:47 PM
    Wow, so...guess I'll stay away from Patriot for a little while.
    05-19-2011 01:10 PM
    I actually find SanDisk cards to be most reliable, I've never had problems with any of them through years of use.. and another thing is I think Amazon is the best place to shop for cards since you can find best prices there and most importantly read costumer reviews which I find very useful..... places like ebay i'd avoid when shopping for electronic accessories and cards.. theres a lot of fake junk being sold..
    05-19-2011 03:31 PM
    I actually find SanDisk cards to be most reliable....I think Amazon is the best place to shop for cards....
    I agree and it's what I've done for years. Never been sorry.
    05-19-2011 11:05 PM
    No doubt SD Cards have been used fairly reliably for years. I guess my concern would be that I may have bought a phone that eats them like MnMs..... The card I had was apparrently a class 4. I got it from Best Buy with the phone. Hopefully they will replace it since I have warranty coverage on the phone.
    05-20-2011 07:20 AM