Spam in notification bar

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Past 2 days I have gotten spam in my notification bar today's was "date hot singles in your area ", any suggestions how to stop this?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Where do the notifications come from?

If you are getting text messages, then you'll have to figure out how to stop receiving those text messages. In that case, it has nothing to do with your phone.

If you have an app that is spamming you with notifications, then remove the offensive app.

Otherwise, there's no possible way that spam can spontaneously appear.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
lol this happens to me when I get Roms with Rom fetcher.....they download then a notification appears and it hangs there untill I restart my phone,this hanging notification doesnt bother me it just stays there for no reason,and the app offers no option to turn notifications off.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you guys have Paradise Islands installed???

Since I installed it(like 2 days ago) I've gottin 2 spam notifications in my notification bar. No texts and I just hit clear and they were gone.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have paradise island but I use Adfree app to stop ads.I dont get any spam from any apps yet hopefully that wont start happening.

garyray

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Check with your carrier. They should be able to tell you where it's coming from & block it.
I had a rouge app subscribe me to some diet text message subscription that charged $10 a month. 3 months went b4 I noticed the charges. I called sprint about it. They didn't know what app it was but they did refund all the charges & blocked the number. Crazy thing was I never got the texts just the charges.

boxcar78

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh the joy Airpush brings to the world never ends. The Dev, Ben Hirashima seems to like Airpush. Nothing says greatness like a Dev who thinks they deserve revenue even when their app is not being used.

If you have any of Ben Hirashima's free apps that may be your issue. I know I had a great old time trying to figure out where my notification bar spam was coming from. I uninstalled Unlock with WiFi Free and the ads went away. Fell free to look himup on xda forums, if his app is the cause of your problems. We don't need devs that use Airpush in our communities.

THUNDERhead364

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I have a Droid X unrooted and you have an Atrix so it maybe a motorola thing. Otherwise my theory is that it is coming from the app Marketplace app. I didnt install anything new and only updated the Marketplace when I started seeing the ads. I went into the settings and now there is an option to turn off offers if you uncheck it. Funny how they still keep coming. If I'm right I am going to be pretty diappointed.

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh the joy Airpush brings to the world never ends. The Dev, Ben Hirashima seems to like Airpush. Nothing says greatness like a Dev who thinks they deserve revenue even when their app is not being used.

If you have any of Ben Hirashima's free apps that may be your issue. I know I had a great old time trying to figure out where my notification bar spam was coming from. I uninstalled Unlock with WiFi Free and the ads went away. Fell free to look himup on xda forums, if his app is the cause of your problems. We don't need devs that use Airpush in our communities.

That's a good start, but the best thing to do is go back to the market, rate the app as 1 star, and leave a comment that it spams your notification bar and uses AirPush. Then flag it as inappropriate and tell Google that the app is malicious. This will notify other users who have problems with their phones and read the comments. Plus if enough people mark it as malcious, Google will notice and pull the app.

Spread the word if you guys see other people in the forums complaining about this, they need to do the same as above, and let other knows. We need to cut this disgusting advertising method off before it catches on. See here for more info:

AirPush Sends Ads to Your Notification Pane (And Why I Think It’s Horrible)

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
im kind of late, but i have paradise island on my phone and im not getting any notification spam. My atrix was originally rooted when lost it after the 1st OTA update and i decided not to root it anymore.

peanuts154

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this coming from Wicked Songs App Lite... app that compiles popular songs from Hype Machine/Songkick/last.fm etc. I received a "Local Singles" type notification. I clicked it to figure out where it came from and the title bar briefly flashed "Wicked Lite" before showing ad. Uninstalled immediately and haven't seen it since.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea these are AirPush ads, NOT TEXT MESSAGES.

To the guys saying report them to google, google supports these ads and knows about them fully and they are not malicious, that is for reporting malware.

I do not like ads, would not install an app that had these, but you guys do have to think, after a dev spends 100's of hours writing an app and no one clicks on his regular ads and hes only earning pennies a day, he will be forced to do something, and AirPush pays a ton I think.

So if you see a regular ad in an app that you are even slightly interested in, click on it, it costs you nothing but a few seconds and throws a few cents in the devs direction and may keep them from resorting to crap types of ads like these.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting "Find local singles now hot dates on zoosk in your area" Someone on another forum said to click on it, and the name of the app that caused it will show briefly at the top of the screen. So I did, and sure enough the name "Filter Free" showed up (a free phone blocker app I downloaded from the Market). So I deleted it. And hopefully that's it.

SteveMW

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Battery Gauge Widget installed? I had only the notification area icon active after installation and I really liked knowing exactly how close to drained my battery actually was (when charging the green light comes on when the battery is only 80% full). I am not completely sure that this was the culprit but I noticed those same messages appearing in the notification bar around 7AM (approximately) each day after I applied an update to the program. I uninstalled a few games that were installed after I updated BGW but the ads appeared for two additional days.I then uninstalled BGW and have not had these annoying ads appear again.

Last edited:

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I do believe the culprit in my case was the phone blocker app "Filter Free", I uninstalled it, and no more spam.

I have the Samsung standard "Battery Watch" widget installed, and it's not a problem.