kernel recommendation

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to flash a different kernel for CM7, and am looking for a recommendation from somebody who has actually used them. I'm looking for the ones listed here under CM7. Could you also explain what they do? I can't really tell from that post. I'm guessing that OC is overclock (the processor), UC is underclock, and OC/UC to ____ is the processor clock speed in MHz, but I don't know what UV is, and could somebody explain Voodoo sound is, I think it's good to have, but I want to know what it is. I definitely want BLN, but they all have it. I also want good battery life, but I don't want to underclock to get it.

As for flashing, is it like flashing a custom ROM? Is it a .zip that I download, place on the internal SD, reboot into recovery, select install zip from sdcard, and install the zip?

Finally, since I'm running 7.1 RC1, are these kernels going to work with 2.3.4?

Last edited:

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to flash a different kernel for CM7, and am looking for a recommendation from somebody who has actually used them. I'm looking for the ones listed here under CM7. Could you also explain what they do? I can't really tell from that post. I'm guessing that OC is overclock (the processor), UC is underclock, and OC/UC to ____ is the processor clock speed in MHz, but I don't know what UV is, and could somebody explain Voodoo sound is, I think it's good to have, but I want to know what it is. I definitely want BLN, but they all have it. I also want good battery life, but I don't want to underclock to get it.

As for flashing, is it like flashing a custom ROM? Is it a .zip that I download, place on the internal SD, reboot into recovery, select install zip from sdcard, and install the zip?

Finally, since I'm running 7.1 RC1, are these kernels going to work with 2.3.4?

I tried Javelin and Platypus during the whole two days (each) I ran CM7.1 and MIUI, so yeah, they'll work for you. Of the two Platypus seemed to have the better results for me. They aren't hard to switch out (like you said it's as easy as flashing through recovery).

OC = Over Clock
UV = Under Volt (for battery)

If you're really concerned about battery CM/MIUI isn't the way to go. Both have horrible battery life even if you undervolt and keep all of the syncing, data and radios turned off. Switching kernels and modems around will not help there.

Battery life is what killed CM/MIUI for me...well, that and lack of REAL CM dev support.

Info on Voodoo Sound - http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/...-galaxy-s-music-quality-to-another-level.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ibejack96

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried Javelin and Platypus during the whole two days (each) I ran CM7.1 and MIUI, so yeah, they'll work for you. Of the two Platypus seemed to have the better results for me. They aren't hard to switch out (like you said it's as easy as flashing through recovery).

OC = Over Clock
UV = Under Volt (for battery)

If you're really concerned about battery CM/MIUI isn't the way to go. Both have horrible battery life even if you undervolt and keep all of the syncing, data and radios turned off. Switching kernels and modems around will not help there.

Battery life is what killed CM/MIUI for me...well, that and lack of REAL CM dev support.

Info on Voodoo Sound - http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/...-galaxy-s-music-quality-to-another-level.html

I disagree. Ever since I flashed my phone with CM7 and made some adjustments I'm getting 8 hours of battery life when before I was lucky to get 5 to 6. The ability to use a different kernel and remove bloat is what I attribute to the increased battery life.

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
8 hours is good? :-\

I get 20+ hours (approx 2 hour screen on time) on Mosaic V (2.3.4) with no OC or UV and moderate app use.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
8 hours is good? :-\

I get 20+ hours (approx 2 hour screen on time) on Mosaic V (2.3.4) with no OC or UV and moderate app use.

Yes, it is good. Let me state that I use my phone for streaming music constantly when I'm at work. And the office I work at just happens to stay around the 0 - 1 bars and constantly swaps between 2G/3G.

8 Hours under those conditions I consider to be amazing.

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. I guess I don't use my phone much. That would explain why I was disappointed with my personal experience though.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
another thing, when I upgrade to RC2, etc. in the future, will it put me back on the stock kernel? Also, I'm going to make a backup of CM7 with the stock kernel, in case I need to return to it or I don't like Platypus. Is there another way to return back to it in the future (i.e. I'm on RC_ and don't want to restore to earlier version and upgrade again)?

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ok i installed this and the voltage control app and the cmparts.apk and i can't turn on bln where it says in the settings. Any ideas?

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there an BLN on/off option in the recovery menu (I don't remember any on CM kernels, but as I mentioned, I only ran the ROM for two days).

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
The BLN app should have given you a compatibility warning if the kernel isn't BLN capable- you sure your kernel is good with BLN?

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The BLN app should have given you a compatibility warning if the kernel isn't BLN capable- you sure your kernel is good with BLN?

it says here and here that Platypus has LED notifications (BLN) and that to get it to work, you have to set the color to a bright color (i think it mentioned green) to get it to work

EDIT:
it says at the second link:
"TO ENABLE LED NOTIFICATIONS (BLN alternative):
See instructions here. If you have adb issues, use root explorer or a similar app.
Choose green as the color setting (dark colors will turn off notifications). Use Quiet Hours settings to turn on/off."

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
it says here and here that Platypus has LED notifications (BLN) and that to get it to work, you have to set the color to a bright color (i think it mentioned green) to get it to work

EDIT:
it says at the second link:
"TO ENABLE LED NOTIFICATIONS (BLN alternative):
See instructions here. If you have adb issues, use root explorer or a similar app.
Choose green as the color setting (dark colors will turn off notifications). Use Quiet Hours settings to turn on/off."

That's for the old versions, I think on the most recent BETA zacharias switched to BLN because of the touchkey issues. I've been to busy to flash anything not stable this week, so I'm not sure.

Don't listen to the OP of that thread anyway, he's an idiot ;)

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
That's for the old versions, I think on the most recent BETA zacharias switched to BLN because of the touchkey issues. I've been to busy to flash anything not stable this week, so I'm not sure.

Don't listen to the OP of that thread anyway, he's an idiot ;)

so.... what do I do now? no BLN for me? are you saying Platypus isn't stable? since I installed that app for BLN, does that mess up anything? I hope not, considering I don't see any change at all in the settings or anything.
sorry for the noob questions :)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
so.... what do I do now? no BLN for me? are you saying Platypus isn't stable? since I installed that app for BLN, does that mess up anything? I hope not, considering I don't see any change at all in the settings or anything.
sorry for the noob questions :)

The absolute latest isn't completely stable (minor bugs AFAIK). The one I still have in the OP is. That should have LED notifications (just like BLN), and TheEscapist's kernel and Glitch have BLN/LED also, if you want something more up to date.

BLN app doesn't do anything if you don't have BLN, it just tells you its incompatible.

Reactions: ibejack96

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The absolute latest isn't completely stable (minor bugs AFAIK). The one I still have in the OP is. That should have LED notifications (just like BLN), and TheEscapist's kernel and Glitch have BLN/LED also, if you want something more up to date.

BLN app doesn't do anything if you don't have BLN, it just tells you its incompatible.

so in your opinion, should i switch kernels? or use the stable platypus? for the stable platypus, where do i get it? do i find it in this post? also, if you recommend either TheEscapist or Glitch, could you show me exactly where to download it, so i don't screw up and download an unstable kernel again.
once again, thanks for all the help :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21