OMG I can't root or flash ROM!! :0

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I'm going to start by saying PLEASE do not tell me to
- Google my questions
- Read old threads and stickies.
I have done all of these! Every couple of days, for several hours at a time, for at least a week or two. :(

All I want to do is root my phone. I would like to install a ROM where I can use Voodoo. This is ALL.

Okay, so can *anyone* help me understand what it is that I need to do? I honestly can't find a SINGLE helpful solution in any wiki or thread or anything. It seems I have several EXCEPTIONALLY annoying and frustrating conditions:

1. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit. This is what I have to use, and nothing else. No Windows. If it would make it exceptionally easier, I might be able to use Windows XP on my university computers. Let me know.

2. I have the Captivate with build #UCKB2. I know this means something evil about 3e or 2e or some signed something-or-other. Yay.

3. I have the 1010 batch of Captivate. I know this means "Odin" will not play nice and I have even more annoying hoops to jump through to get this to work.

Is there any hope for me??
I just want to have a different rom.... *sniff*....
Gigantic thank you to anyone who can help simplify this for me!
-- Rebecca

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
As a linux user, you need to use Heimdall instead of Odin. I have NEVER used Heimdall, but many of the devs on xda are linux only and use it... so I know it can be done. I did a little digging, and this is where to get Heimdall.

Heimdall – Glass Echidna

Different versions depending on OS, and you may want to search for it in your current package manager. Way easier if Ubuntu has a package for it already. Heimdall is a java program, and should replicate Odin functionality for you. Replace references to Odin with Heimdall, and you should be good.

Stock KB2 has a signed recovery, which is what is making your life hard. At the minimum, what you need is a replaced recovery with CWM injected. Normally, I would say flash the KH3, with CWM, with bootloaders from here using ODIN-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1300843

I think you can do the same thing with Heimdall, once you get it running. Once you do that, you can download any ROM you want and flash via CWM (Highly recommend Pinnacle)... but you do occasionally need ODIN/Heimdall, so you need to get that resolved.

Reactions: rac809

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your comprehensive reply! I'm going to look into all of these. I still don't understand how to make CWM get onto my phone and run without destroying or bricking it. I just simply don't get it. I don't know how to just "flash a Rom" yet either, especially due to the conditions of my phone I mentioned.
I have done rooting and flashing ROMs to a B&N nook before, and that was easy enough. It seems ten thousand times more difficult, and risky, for my phone though...

Huge thanks to you for the information provided though! :cool:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the 1010 thing is a red herring. I am not aware of one month's worth of the production line somehow being immune to Odin/Heimdall.

All devices are pretty much the same (tablets and phones. My Galaxy Tab is mostly the same as this). Recovery Mode and Download mode are common to all Android devices, though some may hide it more than others. I think Samsung's version is pretty standard for the "the way it is".

You need to use download mode because your phone has a digitally signed Recovery mode, that will not use itself to flash itself. Were you still on Eclair 2.1, you could use the update packages on the stock recovery to flash CWM, making this much easier. Once you upgrade to Froyo though, you have to deal with this weak protection scheme. The phone cannot be used to flash itself, so you need to use Download mode and a computer to do it for you.

Enter Odin/Heimdall.

Download mode is considered more reliable, and results in fewer bad flashes. It can also do re-partioning, and bootloader flashing... things that come up say, when you upgrade to Gingerbread :). It is rare, but for example in your case, you need to use Odin/Heimdall for a couple reasons.

First, because you need get around the digital lock on your Recovery. Heimdall will just overwrite what is there, no fuss.
Second, because you want to flash custom ROMs, and I am assuming you want to flash the Gingerbread ROMs, you are going to need to upgrade your bootloaders to Gingerbread. Unless you are only going to install Cyanogenmod, in which case you do not need to.

On the link I sent, there is a package that includes bootloaders, a running stock ROM, and a proper CWM included kernel all in one file. From there, it is easy.

You need to practice getting into Recovery and Download mode. So long as you just get to those screens, you can pull the battery out and stick it back to reset. There is no risk in this. If you don't know how to get into those modes when you want to, then that is the first thing you need to figure out.

And you will NEED a computer with Heimdall or Odin on it. At least this first time, and once in a while during your phone hacking career. Bring a 12 pack and your USB cable to a friend's house with Windows, and get it done :).

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your exceptional help and informative posts!!!

So I have Heimdall installed on my ubuntu laptop. I also do have experience getting the phone both in and out of recovery mode and Download (android digging) mode. I can do all these, and the Heimdall said it recognizes the phone is connected.

Next, I downloaded the appropriate (KH3) package you recommended.

So is it safe to say that all I need to do, is attach the phone to the Heimdall in Download mode, tell it to put the KH3 package on the phone, and click start? I have everything on my phone backed up datawise. I dont know what I'll do if this bricks it, haha.

Is there anything else I need to consider and look into before I push that start button?? I almost did it yesterday but though I must be doing something wrong because it seemed too easy.... Haha.

Thanks again!!! :)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
That should be it. You will want the one with bootloaders, and CWM injected kernel. I would grab the Pinnacle 1.2 zip too, and put it on your sdcard, so you are ready to go.

After flashing this with Heimdall, the first boot will be long. I would not let it boot to Android, and instead boot immediately to Recovery, which should look much different now. and INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD-CHOOSE ZIP and pick the Pinnacle zip. That will take a couple minnutes. When it is done, go BACK-ADVANCED-REBOOT TO RECOVERY and do a FACTORY RESET WIPE from Recovery. Reboot.

Go through the intiial setup of the ROM (it will take a bit more than 5 minutes first boot), and then use the new Extended Power Menu (long press the power button) and reboot to Recovery. Apply the Pinnacle 1.3 zip in Recovery, and reboot. Done. :)

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused by the things I've downloaded, I grabbed the KH3 package from the link you sent me but when I unzipped it it was an .exe file. I'm not sure what to do here. I also downloaded the "Hardcore Speedmod-Captivate.zip" and I'm not sure what that's for either.
I must be missing something, I don't know why this is so confusing to me. I don't get what any of these things are - And again like I said, I've done something similar to a B&N nook and it wasn't nearly this complicated. I've dealt with hacky things with computers, OS's, and older cell phones and none of it confused me this much.
Have I even gathered the correct files here? What am I "flashing" and what am I putting on after that step?
I was under the impression that that KH3 package I was downloading contained "everything". Am I understanding now that it *doesnt* contain a ROM and I need to do that separately?
Sorry for my massive confusion. The more I look into all of this the more confused I get. :(
Thanks again for your excellent support and input, loraque and anyone else who contributes!!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am downloading the file to look myself, but often the "restore" ROMs, which the KH3 one I referred to is, are one-click format. Sometimes the devs will pre-populate the Odin screen with the correct fields, and make the app a one-click executable. You probably just run the EXE, connect your phone in Download mode, and click START.

That will give a stock-ish 2.3.4 leaked build, with Clockwork installed. Then you will need to reboot to Recovery mode, and use the INSTALL ZIP FROM SD-CHOOSE ZIP menu to select the ROM you actually want to run.

Yeah, that is a one-click. Just run the EXE and connect your phone in Download mode. Don't jiggle the cable while it is working :).

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Ohhh I see. Okay! So, do I need to use Odin for this?
And I guess I have to find a Windows computer to use.

Does the .EXE I downloaded *include* Odin or whatever, or do I have to have that installed already on the computer I'm using this on?

Sorry, haha, and thank you again for your detailed work on this! I can't seem to gather the right information about these on the threads I'm reading. It seems everyone has a level of knowledge already way above mine. Lol :p

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You gotta start somewhere...

The one-clicks include a stripped version of Odin that removes all buttons except START. Can't mess it up that way. You WILL need a Windows PC to use it though. There are Heimdall versions of things, which runs on linux and Mac, but I don't know anything other that it exists. That page I linked you to does have Heimdall packages as well.

Once you do it a few times and wrap your brain around what is going on, it is not so bad :).

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Got it! I will try it with Windows and the one click you linked to. Once I at least do that (seemingly simple) process, then I will be able to install other ROM's with little hassle?
Thanks, I'll post after I do it later tonight --- ahhh!
:)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The real purpose of this one-click is to get your Recovery replaced with Clockwork Recovery (we are doing a couple other one-time things too, like flashing Gingerbread bootloaders, and a working ROM too). Then you can just use the button code for your phone to enter Recovery mode, and do your flashing from there. No PC required.

Reactions: rac809

rac809

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You are awesome! Thank you! I finally was able to sit down and do the One-Click... after that, since I was already familiar with Clockwork, I was very easily able to flash CM7 and related packages.

I cannot believe I dealt with the block of junk my phone was for the past 1.5 years and wish I'd done this sooner! Every single problem I had, which I had been told were hardware defects with the wifi, gps, and texting memory handling, were instantaneously solved. My phone flies now, and the Voodoo sound is incredible.

Loraque -- your help has been indispensible! Since every problem with my phone was solved and it is now flawless in every way, I no longer have to continually replace it. THANKS AGAIN BIGTIME!!! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet