Why Didn't My "Unlocked" Captivate Work??? (A Mystery For Geniuses Only)

Big_Al_NYC

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So I get a new Galaxy S3 and decided that before selling my old Captivate I would root it and unlock it to get a few extra bucks on ebay. So after wiping it I:

1. Rooted it with SuperOneClick by shortfuse and
  2. Unlocked it with Galaxy S Unlock by Helroz
  3. Dialed *#7465625# and it reads:
Personalizatiob Status
Network Lock [OFF]
Network Subset Lock [OFF]
SP Lock [OFF]
CP Lock [OFF]

So I figured I was good to go but then I thought, let me update it at the very least to 2.3 Gingerbread (it was on 2.3 Froyo). So I connected to MiniKies and upgraded. My ATT SIM still worked in there and it still showed unlocked.

But then I read some jibber-jabber on another forum about how even if you see all the locks off, sometimes it's not really unlocked. So I got my sister-in-law's blackberry (Sprint) and pulled the sim and put it into mine but...it did not work.

QUESTION #1) Without having to ask a stranger off the street for their SIM, can I safely assume from the locks showing "OFF" that it is indeed unlocked? I'm thinking the problem has to do with the underlying technology of Spring vs. ATT being different. In other words, I know in past years you could not use unlocked ATT phones on Sprint (and vice versa) because one was CDMA and one was GSM. But I thought that was back in the day when Sprint didn't even issue SIMs and now that they did (on her blackberry, anyway) phones would be cross-compatible.

Question #2) After I upgraded to Gingerbread and removed my data, the "SuperUser" app is still there but the "Galaxy S Unlock" program is gone (as I expected) but the backup files it creates at /sdcard/Galaxy_S_Unlock/efs are gone too. Should this concern me? Would I need these to return to stock? Which leads me to the next question...

Question #3) Should I just Un-Root, return to stock and then upgrade to Gingerbread first before doing the root and unlock?

Thanks guys, and--oh, by the way--I found this forum AFTER I got my S3 and spent 8 hours trying to fix wifi connectivity problems. Keep in mind I've worked in IT since the 90s and know the router is running like a thoroughbred but I came here for help on the phone side of it. Anyway, I tried just about every router trick and every phone trick but can't get it to hang on to my signal. Does this phone just suck? I had (as you all know) the captivate and I have no issues and my wife has an S2 Skyrocket and we have no issues. But this crap couldn't find a router if it was giving away free $20 bills. WTF?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Lmfao omfg your trying to get a cdma card on a GSM phone unless it is reactivated on sprint with that don't bother the only way that works is a mother GSM provider t mobile str eight talk that type of thing lmfao wow...

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
and you basically unrooted and put it back stock when you root you never go back to official firmware

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy