Lag Fix...

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I didn't notice any real performance issue with my phone, but I am coming from a history of much slower devices.

I was browsing around the XDA forums, and found there is a lag fix for teh Captivate that works like a charm.

I went through a little pain with other attempts, and a bad update.zip that was made for a different device, but the third time is a charm.

The write-up I used is here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [LAG FIX]Another alternative to the I/O issues

The emulator i used was "Android Terminal Emulator" and is available in the market. (I have sideloading and the T-Mobile Market fix in place, so the AT&T market may not see it).

My phone is much peppier and faster.

No delay whatsoever while using it.

Quadrant scores:

Pre-lag-fix: 890-928

Post-lag-fix: 2132-2164

Some people will argue that quadrant scores don't mean anything, but my phone sure does feel quicker.

Keep in mind that this fix will eat up 1GB of your 2GB internal phone storage, but I have 40+ apps installed and still have 663 MB free after the fix. I can't imagine I will fill that up.

Also: make sure you use a backup tool to backup your system + apps + data, because if you mistype something, you may need to restore your phone with a tool like Odin3 (160 MB download). I use the full version of TitaniumBackup.

Have fun!

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a difference as well. I think the biggest issue is people dont like the ext2 file or whatever that is. Apparently it has a higher possibility of being unstable. I haven't had any issue whatsoever with this yet but time will tell. I purchased Rom Manager and I can't get that damn thing to back up. I always get error messages on the reboot screen about E: cache update.zip crap. Not sure why that is. I rooted properly using the one click root method. I wonder if that update.zip is the reason.

rob989_69

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The issue with ext2 is it doesn't use journaling, therefor and time you shut down your phone it's the equivalent of yanking the power cord on your PC. It COULD cause corruption of the system files.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The issue with ext2 is it doesn't use journaling, therefor and time you shut down your phone it's the equivalent of yanking the power cord on your PC. It COULD cause corruption of the system files.

Understood.

Anyone who plans on doing anything outside-the-box on their device should have a contingency plan and a backup tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz