Install blocked?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK I never had a desire to go to Froyo on the cap, until I was playing with my friends phone today. I have been reading a few articles on here about rooting and what not and that process seems simple enough with the update.zip file and getting that going. I have yet to do that though. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start getting this evening project started. I just have a couple questions that I am curious about and I was hoping to count on everyone elses expertise in thise area.

1. What is Odin, everyone talks about it on here like we all know what it is (maybe everyone but me does) and where would I be able to download it at?

2. Is rooting required to update to Froyo?

3. Where can I get Froyo, I saw a link earlier mentioning getting it from XDA, but they weren't very clear on the instructions. Is Odin required for this? I would like to be able to one day go back to stock if needed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if I over looked any of these questions in previous threads, I would love to be pointed in the correct direction so that I can find out everything I need to know to have Froyo up and running by tomorrow AM.

1.Odin is a program that flashes the firmware onto your phone, in your case Froyo.

2. No rooting is not required to flash froyo

3. here is all you need to flash to froyo

this video will walk you through the process

How to use ODIN 1 CLICK DOWNLOAD to flash STOCK Firmware
YouTube - Samsung Captivate (ODIN 1 Click Stock Firmware Installer)

if you need to go back to stock eclair use this

Be aware any and all hacks or modifications you do to your phone are at your own risk I nor Android central are responsible for your phone.

We will do what we can to help if ever needed though

Good luck.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How long does it take for the upgrade to take, my phone has been on the green screen for about 8 minutes.

Give it 5 more minutes, if it doesnt move you need remove the battery and reinsert it....then change USB ports if possible....also did you make sure you downloaded the drivers?

Reactions: melvinaury

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
modem.jpg

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I found this

"I know this has been posted before but I still have not found any responses. Here is my situation:

*My computer recognizes the phone
*ODIN recognizes the phone
*the phone is in download mode
*ODIN gets stuck
*I have tried multiple times, but it continuously gets stuck at DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
*The max I have waited is around 30ish minutes
*3 button combo works on my phone
*I have tried non-one click ODIN to JH2 and it freezes on modem.bin

I have used ODIN before, and I have no idea why this is not working. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

PROBLEM SOLVED: Antivirus software screwed with ODIN"

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
disable the antivirus, i mean i doubt it will just go , but if it still hangs, i would do everything over, pull the batter, pull oud sim and sd, hopefully they were already out.,,, reboot the computer, disable antivirus change USB port and try again

chances are adb download mode will not work so here are the other ways of getting into download mode

Method 1: (KEY COMBO)
1.Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
2.Insert the battery
3.Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power

Method 2: (KEY COMBO)
2.Insert the battery
3.Hold both Volume buttons (don't touch the power button)
4.Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

listen i want you to know that in the end even if you brick your phone there is a jig that fixes things, you can make it your self or you can purchase it....worst case scenario...i really hope it doesnt come to that

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
disable the antivirus, i mean i doubt it will just go , but if it still hangs, i would do everything over, pull the batter, pull oud sim and sd, hopefully they were already out.,,, reboot the computer, disable antivirus change USB port and try again

chances are adb download mode will not work so here are the other ways of getting into download mode

Method 1: (KEY COMBO)
2.Insert the battery
3.Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power

Method 2: (KEY COMBO)
2.Insert the battery
3.Hold both Volume buttons (don't touch the power button)
4.Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

listen i want you to know that in the end even if you brick your phone there is a jig that fixes things, you can make it your self or you can purchase it....worst case scenario...i really hope it doesnt come to that

OK av is uninstalled trying it now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance