CAPTIVATE ROM FLASHING VIDEO SERIES
PART 1 - YouTube - Samsung Captivate (How-To Install Cognition ROM) Part 1
PART 2 - YouTube - Samsung Captivate (How-To Install Cognition ROM) Part 2
PART 3 - YouTube - Samsung Captivate (How-To Install Cognition ROM) Part 3

This set should take you from start to finish

here is the latest cognition
http://www.ponack.net/designgears/release/Cognitionv2.3b8.zip

if you are still fuzzy , PM me and ill walk you through it

these are how I got started, VERY informative. However, I would watch them first, then go back and install along with them. It might save you some headaches :D

Reactions: melvinaury

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Before anyone should start this process, you should know how to do the following-

1. How to get to Recovery Mode
2. How to get into Download Mode
3. Be able to perform the above at will

If you can't do those, you should wait until you figure that out first. Otherwise, if you run into any troubleshooting required, you will waste time figuring out how to do it while your phone is non-functional. Better to learn these steps while your phone is still working, so you can spend time fixing things instead of researching what needs to be in your brain already.

I speak from the voice of painful experience. You CAN learn those as you go, but you will be better served spending the time up front.

Caexis

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for adding. I found a guide over on xda after some aimless browsing. That led to many other links I checked out. Its kind of an information overload and there are so many sources it's hard to keep track or put the bits together into one coherent idea lol.
Im going to continue with these links, and the new things you guys have suggested... hopefully I'll have enough of a handle on it to do some rooting and readjusting. I feel like my phone is just borderline good and I cant wait to see it at it's higher potential.

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Best place to root my captivate

Where would be the best place to go to rot my Captivate? I am very frustrated with it's current state and since there is no update coming soon, I believe this is the best way to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't know what I am doing wrong but when I put my phone into debugging mode and attempt to mount my phone to copy the file to root, the phone refuses to communicate with my computer. It only communicates with my computer when debugging mode is not on. The drivers are installed and I am following the directions perfectly. I guess I am just not meant to root this damn phone hahaha.:D

Caexis

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys... I was about to do the one click root, but realized I never went back and got the drivers. I have a Mac (forgot to mention that earlier) and I saw a guide on xda that said mac users dont need to dl the drivers... is there any truth to that? Do you know why that would be? I just want to make sure before I hit the root button.

Caexis

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Me again... so I did the one click root
After I use the volume down to click on the reinstall packages Im getting an error message...
E:Can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted.
Any ideas? lol I use Salling for file transfer, I dont know if that makes a difference in anything... I tried it w/ and w/o ejecting. Same thing...

Caexis

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got it! Apparently on Macs you (in addition to the usb debugging) you have to eject both sd cards (internal and external) from your desktop then in your notifications bar up top click the turn off usb storage.
Then hit the root button.
It worked after I did that.
Maybe having that usb storage on (which is default) blocks the app from installing the update.zip which makes it unable to find.
But yaay! Once it rebooted with the update file, I tried the titanium app as a check to see if it was really rooted and I kept getting an error message, but I do have a new superuser app so Im hoping its good. Im tired though, I'll play around more tmrw lol

Mikehe

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
New Rooter

I have been following the videos and got to part 2 of how to on my Captivate, I got Odin to work thefirst half but i must have screwed up and unpluged the usb cable before it was finished rebooting, now phone is stuck in AT&T splash Screen Mode and i cant get Odin to see it so i can start from scratch again. Help please

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Pull out the battery on the phone.
Close and re-open Odin.
Connect the phone to the USB cord.
Press and HOLD VOLDOWN button, and insert battery.

Welcome to download mode. Try again :).

Mikehe

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
guess i jacked it up i had the 3 button option then have lost it after doing Odin and "start" wasnt able to get to Master Clear. Is this thing called a Jtag the only thing that will save me now.

blueluck77

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting and Froyo

OK I never had a desire to go to Froyo on the cap, until I was playing with my friends phone today. I have been reading a few articles on here about rooting and what not and that process seems simple enough with the update.zip file and getting that going. I have yet to do that though. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start getting this evening project started. I just have a couple questions that I am curious about and I was hoping to count on everyone elses expertise in thise area.

1. What is Odin, everyone talks about it on here like we all know what it is (maybe everyone but me does) and where would I be able to download it at?

2. Is rooting required to update to Froyo?

3. Where can I get Froyo, I saw a link earlier mentioning getting it from XDA, but they weren't very clear on the instructions. Is Odin required for this? I would like to be able to one day go back to stock if needed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if I over looked any of these questions in previous threads, I would love to be pointed in the correct direction so that I can find out everything I need to know to have Froyo up and running by tomorrow AM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781