[ROM] Cognition

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You can typically restore USER apps + data. Do not restore anything system related and definitely not system data. You can sometimes get away with it depending on what you are flashing from, and what you are flashing to... but it is bad practice in general, for reasons you are now painfully aware of.

There is a batch restore option for user apps + data. That is usually safe, especially for games and whatnot.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Check your google account in the contacts area.some times people sync them without realizing it
I think what happened is when I copied everything to my back it up I copied EVERYTHING. When I put it back on the phone I copied EVERYTHING out of my backup folder and some of the files were already on the phone. When asked I told it to replace what was already on the phone with what was in my back up folder. I think this caused the problem because I reflashed and everything in fine except all my contacts are gone so I need to find them. Any where they are stored in my back up file?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

reednatron

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Rom flashing question

I am already on cognition ROM 2.1.6 , If I want to go to cognition 2.3b8 can I flash that ROM directly using Clockwork, or do I need to do anything else?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Recommended instructions are to flash to stock JF6 before going to a new ROM, using designgears' one click ODIN. These are given at the Cognition page, at XDA.

For most people, skipping this step has no impact, there are a few though, that report issues. I always go to JF6 first.

Hope this helps, consider clickin' thanks- it makes me smile.

AoN

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you do that instead of toggling the "erase" option when loading the new rom through rom manager? It seems like if you erased everything, it would be like you werent applying the new rom over the one currently installed...

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you do that instead of toggling the "erase" option when loading the new rom through rom manager? It seems like if you erased everything, it would be like you werent applying the new rom over the one currently installed...

The erase does not do what you think it does.

The process seems to be evolving recently, and flashing to stock before a new ROM is now, sort of, old school. The current theory is that you disable any lagfix, flash via clockwork and see it how goes. If you have trouble, THEN flash to stock and do it again.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Be mindful of modem issues going to perception. It seems hit or miss, about whether your phone will like the modem used on Perception. My phone/area will not tolerate the JL3 modem. If yours acts odd (will not receive calls reliably, bad BT, voice call quality issues, data network drops) do not give up immediately, but try another modem. JK4 or JK3 for example. The i9000 ROMs have many more modems available, and the same one doesn't seem to work for everyone. I was not able to find one that worked "great", so I went back to Cog. Too bad too, as I really like the P10 Gingerbread theme.

Many others report great things about it though, so don't let my experience throw you. I really enjoyed Perception 5... though I did still have the occasional data network drop, it was rare enough I did not mind much.

Reactions: reednatron

blktalon456

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
So what is the safe and proper way to restore your apps with T.B. after installing cognition? I just got mine installed and loving it so far. I do have some apps I would love to renstall with tb rather than reload them from the market. One in particular is "shooter ballistics", as i have/had alot of data stored in that app. thanks...

Whenever you use TB only do a selective restore of your most used and loved apps. I say this because most of what is backed up is put back on the phone after Cognition installs.

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds: Cognition

I finally rooted my Captivate, and I installed the latest build from Cognition. It seems to be working great with one small exception. I cannot change the notification sound. To be more specific, I can change it, but it ha sno effect. No matter what sound I pick it still plays the same sound when I get email, text, etc. Comments? Ideas?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
For a while I thought I was having odd notification sound issues too, but it is working now. Try this-

After I first noticed the sounds not changing when I thought they should, I changed the default notification sound to a custom sound I made. This worked, changing all the notification sounds (My issue was changing individual ones from the apps).

Once I changed the default system notification sound, I was then able to change the sounds in Handcent, talk, etc and have it work.

If you are changing the sound from an app itself, go into the main system settings first and change the default notification to something else, and then try changing individual ones. Sorry I cannot be more specific, I noticed the issue and then suddenly it was gone so I can't say for sure what I did to resolve it :).

Reactions: valueman

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth, the battery reset sequence here on the forums seems to have "recalibrated" my phone and it doesnt appeasr to be dropping as fast. This is day one of doing it so I will keep you posted.... I am running the latest cognition and I love it so far....

DrDubzz

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone try flashing another kernel on Cognition? Just wondering if any other kernel improves performance or battery life?

try Hardcore's SpeedMod kernel, it has helped my battery life on Perception (same chef as Cognition) a lot

Last edited:

demp_D-1417

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Installing Cognigtion Rom

I tried installing Cognition ROM using ROM Manager on top of 2.2 and I keep getting this error during the process:

At the reinstall packages step "E:failed to verify whole file signature and E: signature verification failed, installation aborted.

I tried the proces numerous times and keep getting the same error.

Any solutions?

leo5111

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
is their a overclocked kernal for 2.3 b8?and does it speed up the system and is battery life better? same? worse? thanks :p

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried installing Cognition ROM using ROM Manager on top of 2.2 and I keep getting this error during the process:

At the reinstall packages step "E:failed to verify whole file signature and E: signature verification failed, installation aborted.

I tried the proces numerous times and keep getting the same error.

Any solutions?

Try downloading the file again... sounds like a corrupt download.

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problem with my phone and random shutdowns. Phone works fine with the stock rom but when I flash to this one my phone shuts off all the time. Have tried it on two different phones and does the same. Anybody else have this problem or is it just me?