ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Source: XDA Developers

Features
Rebuilt on Rogers I896UXJL1
I896UXJL1 Modem
Americanized dates and times
Locale defaults to carrier location (defaults to canada if locale not supported)
Supercurio's Voodoo Lagfix w/custom cwm
Accurate battery mod
Extended power menu options
AOSP Lockscreen
Removed Samsung Bloatware
Removed Rogers specific apps
Removed Deskhome (lots of fc's)
Remvoed Touchwiz
Remvoed Touchwiz Wallpaper chooser
Added Gingerbread Launcher
Added hacked camera (from armani captivate)
Added better gallery (from armani captivate)
Added AppWidgetPicker
Added Rom Manager
Added Titanium Backup
Rooted
Glass lock
Haptic disabled (haptic works on all buttons)
Custom bootanimation
Faster notification bar animations
Armani Font
Boot sounds disabled
Updates system apps
Extremely fast boot after initial boot

Last edited:

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Source: [ROM]Cognition v2.3b8 - xda-developers

Change Log
Fixed android_id gernerator (thanks to loserskater)
Gingerbread Keyboard (thanks to kennethpenn)
Added Voltage Control 2.0-rc2
Added BLN control - Free
Added Rom Manager
Added Titanium Backup
Added AppWidgetPicker
Huge APN List

CogKernel2(based on jpm sources) + JK3 Modem:
raspdeep's 1280Mhz OC/UV v217 kernel patches
hardcore's kernel patches
Voodoo LagFix updated (c1f5dd5d1a3c2216a381)
Added ClockWorkMod Voodoo Edition
xcaliburinhand's headset jack fix
HSUPA Support
Removed AT&T World Phone screen (you still see it for about a second)

The Changelog was for the 2.3b7 here is the actual 2.3b8:

v2.3b7 - v2.3b8 (12/17/2010)

* Added supercurio's stock+Voodoo stable 5.x for Captivate
* Added JI6 Modem
* Removed CogKernel2
* Fixed bluetooth static
* (Decided I need to keep this rom pure captivate)

Cheers,
Charlie

Reactions: ragnarokx
Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
First custom ROM....

Rooted and installed this ROM. Working pretty well so far. The only bug I've discovered is a buggy cropping tool when using the Gallery to set wallpaper. Otherwise, it's a lot faster than the stock ROM.

Mechromancer

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
This ROM works great. It is insanely fast compared to my rooted 2.1 with OCLF. My phone is a joy to use. My GPS issues are hardware based but it improved lock a little for me. Also it fixed the WiFi net mask issue that 2.1 had.

Check out these HOW TO videos that show you everything you need to know about loading up a new ROM, but most importantly backing up all that you have currently before you load up a new ROM:
[VIDEO] Samsung Captivate Video How-To Thread - xda-developers

EDIT: Unfortunately, today I can no longer connect to my work place's WiFi so it seems the net mask issue has cropped up again somehow. Also my GPS WILL NOT LOCK at all now. It can see up to 9 sats with good signal strength, but won't lock. This SUX!

EDIT 2: My GPS issues seem to have been hardware related. I switched the phone out at AT&T's Service Center tonight and got one with better GPS performance. As for the WiFi issue at my job, apparently current Android versions DO NOT PROMPT for network credentials properly on some domain networks.

The Cognition 2.38B is working as it should. My probs were poor hardware and my misinformation. I'll flash cognition to this new(er) phone tonight and see how it works then.

Last edited:

kingtz

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Installed this on Christmas day.

Working really well, and so much faster than stock/unrooted 2.1. I only wish I switched to Cognition sooner.

MisterDBarton

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Installed Perception 9.5 yesterday. Loving it so far. My battery life has been greatly improved. It's MUCH smoother than cognition 2.4.1, and my captivate doesn't shut down randomly (yet).

hellow

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
hey I don't know why the keyboard vibration is stop working when I try to type...I checked the " Vibration when keypress" but nothing happen. My hands feel weird though lol

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Cognition (Froyo) v2.3b8 and Jawbone Voice Dial

Anyone have issues with using a jawbone icon headset and the voice dial capabilities on the Captivate with Froyo? It should be possible with 2.2 according to Jawbone but I tried their reset recommendations and haven't had any luck.

I know there are issues/work arounds with other phones but I haven't seen anything specific to the Captivate and Cognition which is why I am asking.

Thanks in advance.

hostile89

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
hey I don't know why the keyboard vibration is stop working when I try to type...I checked the " Vibration when keypress" but nothing happen. My hands feel weird though lol

Same here, no vibration on the android keyboard. I do get vibration on swype though.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have issues with using a jawbone icon headset and the voice dial capabilities on the Captivate with Froyo? It should be possible with 2.2 according to Jawbone but I tried their reset recommendations and haven't had any luck.

I know there are issues/work arounds with other phones but I haven't seen anything specific to the Captivate and Cognition which is why I am asking.

Thanks in advance.

Has it worked on other Froyo based ROMs?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i have installed this twice on my girlfriends phone, works great for a couple hours then it gets to a point where it goes into a crazy android phone force close loop,,,,,this is after using odin to one click stock rom and using master clear both times so it cant be something im doing before install,, and the fact it went through all the motions leads me away from bad download and since i flashed it twice with same results so i dont know what to think , im going to try an older version of cog.

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly

I just flashed the newest cognition rom and this is the error I keep getting. Anyone have ideas on how to fix.

Process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly

It started to do this after I ran Titanium Back up. I have tried the fix permissions option in the Rom Manager and have rebooted. Didn't fix my problem.

Last edited:

evrtlee

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I had exact same problem and was told that when I used Titanium Backup to restore that I may have used the "Restore apps with SYSTEM data" instead of "Restore apps with data"......so I started over and the same thing happened while being sure I only Restored apps with data.....so i started over and just restored the missing apps. No data, no System data, and so far no problems!! I haven't had the phone very long anyway so it was no big loss. I learned also from the Cognition chat room that there may have been issues with the 2.1 and 2.2 data that were not getting along after using Titanium Backup?? hope that helps?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes I had exact same problem and was told that when I used Titanium Backup to restore that I may have used the "Restore apps with SYSTEM data" instead of "Restore apps with data"......so I started over and the same thing happened while being sure I only Restored apps with data.....so i started over and just restored the missing apps. No data, no System data, and so far no problems!! I haven't had the phone very long anyway so it was no big loss. I learned also from the Cognition chat room that there may have been issues with the 2.1 and 2.2 data that were not getting along after using Titanium Backup?? hope that helps?

i had this problem aswell , cog was freaking out, i flashed it twice, but it makes sense that the backup could be the problem..unfortunatley i cant test it cause its my girlfriends phone and if i put cog. on and tomorrow it bugs out i wont see her again till saturday , she will have a paperweight for a week

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I think what happened is when I copied everything to my back it up I copied EVERYTHING. When I put it back on the phone I copied EVERYTHING out of my backup folder and some of the files were already on the phone. When asked I told it to replace what was already on the phone with what was in my back up folder. I think this caused the problem because I reflashed and everything in fine except all my contacts are gone so I need to find them. Any where they are stored in my back up file?

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
So what is the safe and proper way to restore your apps with T.B. after installing cognition? I just got mine installed and loving it so far. I do have some apps I would love to renstall with tb rather than reload them from the market. One in particular is "shooter ballistics", as i have/had alot of data stored in that app. thanks...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781