Everything Odin

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I am following the above videos to flash a new rom on my captivate. I have gotten to the point where Odin is used to flash the stock rom on the phone. I can get my phone into download mode Odin doesn't discover the phone when it is in download mode. However it does discover the phone when it is not in DL mode. I seem to be stuck on this step because Odin doesn't know my phone is ready to to be flashed. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice to solve the problem?

Thanks
Brodie

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am following the above videos to flash a new rom on my captivate. I have gotten to the point where Odin is used to flash the stock rom on the phone. I can get my phone into download mode Odin doesn't discover the phone when it is in download mode. However it does discover the phone when it is not in DL mode. I seem to be stuck on this step because Odin doesn't know my phone is ready to to be flashed. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice to solve the problem?

Thanks
Brodie
are you using the method from the videos in the link below in my signature?

and are you pulling out the battery during the download or leaving it in?

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I am leaving the battery in and I am not sure if they are your videos. They are the ones posted in the sticky thread in this forum.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am leaving the battery in and I am not sure if they are your videos. They are the ones posted in the sticky thread in this forum.

Try doing it without the battery in , and then after odin is completed put it back in
Video by connexion or something like that,,, yeah those are the videos im referring to

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
No luck with trying it without the battery in. I take out the battery and sim card. Hold down the volume buttons and plug in the USB and nothing happens.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No luck with trying it without the battery in. I take out the battery and sim card. Hold down the volume buttons and plug in the USB and nothing happens.
what sim card?
if you are refering to SD card, leave that in,, pull out the battery, plug in the USB ... press and hold volume down, while holding volume down press the power button for 2 seconds and then release,,if it doesnt turn on then switch USB ports on your computer

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I went to go run some errands but no that didn't work either. I tried leaving in the card and no battery and nothing happened. Then I put in the battery and left the card in. It went into downloading mode but Odin still doesn't know the phone is connected to the computer.

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Also Odin notices the phone when it is plugged in normally and not in downloading mode. I uninstalled the device drivers and reinstalled them and it did not take care of the problem.

Last edited:

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I got the drivers from this forum and I have moved to a different USB port. I only have the one cord but i works when the phone isn't in download mode.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
brodie, please show me the links you used to get the drivers....

Please try this, Take out battery.... Hold down Vol up and vol Down button, while you plug in the USB cable

Ok Edit..... shut off the phone, remove the battery, remove the SIM card and the SD card reinsert the battery ... hold down up and down plug in the USB and it will go into download mode,,,, i just tried it with my girlfriends phone ... so this should solve the issue

Last edited:

Brodie05

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...3/SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip

Thats the link I used to get the drivers. I put the phone in download mode several times using the above process and it works. The computer notices the phone is plugged in by making a noise when the phone goes into download mode. Odin doesn't notice the phone is there and in download mode. It does notice the phone when it is plugged in but not in download mode.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...3/SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip

Thats the link I used to get the drivers. I put the phone in download mode several times using the above process and it works. The computer notices the phone is plugged in by making a noise when the phone goes into download mode. Odin doesn't notice the phone is there and in download mode. It does notice the phone when it is plugged in but not in download mode.

Brodie i ean the page you are actually getting the download from,,also what are you actually trying to do, are you trying to factory clean or flash the rom directly from odin, there are a couple different versions of Odin, knowing where you are and what you are trying to do would really help with the diagnosis..... im sorry this is difficult but sometimes odin can be real sensative in the way you connect to it

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yeah thats the one, what was it that you were using before maybe we can figure out why it didnt work and suggest people not use it

Jay120171

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Just a FYI: The Odin one-click version linked in this thread may remove the 3-button combo on some phone models making it a little more difficult to get in to recovery and/or download mode. Here is another version which is not a "one-click", it's actually like 4 clicks - lol, but it does not jack up the 3-button combo and will also fix it if you've lost it.

{Stock Rom} Odin JF6 with 3 button fix - xda-developers

Also, you must have Odin open and ready prior to plugging your phone in to the computer - VERY IMPORTANT. Here is my procedure but YMMV:

Open the Odin I linked
Click on the PIT button within Odin to browse to and select the PIT.pit file
Click on the PDA button within Odin to browse to and select the PDA.tar file
With phone turned off, hold down both the vol up and vol down buttons while you plug in the USB. (Use the USB that shipped with your phone if at all possible).
Your phone will take a sec and display a yellow screen with a triangle and the word Downloading... at which point you can let the vol buttons go.
If your phone is recognized by Odin you will see a yellow box light up within Odin stating [COMx] where x is a number. If you don't see the yellow box the phone is not recognized so try again from the beginning.
Click on the Start button within Odin and watch the magic happen. The phone will reset when it is done and you should unplug the USB at that time.

Once you do it the first time you will understand exactly how to do it if you ever need to again. Hope this helps and happy flashing.

mrbutler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was following the video instructions listed in DroidXcon's sig for using Odin. I had no problems getting the phone into download mode but it just stays stuck on "Do not turn off Target!!!" Odin just says this:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

Running Odin as admin I have tried this over and over and keep getting stuck in the same place. I've searched all over for an answer for the past few hours and have come up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.